Northrop Grumman

Updated Feb 4, 2015
Updated Feb 4, 2015

2.3

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

The recruiting manager interviewed me over the phone for 30 minutes and then I went in for the in-person interview in Colorado Springs. Had to drive there from 120 miles away. The project manager was very pleasant but the technical interview was very difficult as the technical management asked questions many graduate students do not know. They seemed that they were unimpressed and had already had a guy that they were going to hire.

Interview Questions
  • Las Vegas Method, Anonymous Interclassing   View Answer
  • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Northrop Grumman

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I applied online and got a random call one day about 5 weeks after I applied. The recruiter called me and asked me if he could ask me a few technical questions. This was a almost like a pop quiz because I was not expecting an interview. After telling him I wasn't expecting it, he just told me he was just gauging my knowledge without interview preparation. Overall, it was a pretty easy interview, more about experiences and conceptual questions instead of having to write code.

Interview Questions
    • C++ questions regarding object oriented programming, asked basic conceptual questions about stacks, queues, STL. did not have to write code, talked about past experience, interests in software, basically gauged knowledge of code and software   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I applied, I waited and then I got an interview. The recruiter was shady, never answered any of my emails. But eventually I went to the interview. The interviewers were really unprofessional, I was suppose to be interviewed by 3 interviewers at 2. Only 1 interviewer showed up like 30 minutes late. This guy was nice, respectful, then later another interviewer came this guy was perhaps the rudest person I've ever met, he asked me a question and didn't give me any time to respond.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

I got laid off right before Thanksgiving, the was a large ad in the Sunday paper.
    That was back in 2000, so that has changed to a process of a resume web-submittal then an interview with the locatiion site manager, proposed supervisor and proposed co-worker, all at once in a conference room, on a 1 hour schedule so you could see the earlier competitor leaving and the next one coming.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted to know how I would create new ideas for process improvement (never documented before)?   View Answer
    • Why did you not try to implement process quality at your last employer?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Met with them through the recruiting events at my university. They looked at my work experience and they booked me for an interview. They are the nicest people I have encountered while job hunting, no competition in that regard!!!

Interview Questions
    • I wasnt asked any technical questions other than which languages i know(C,C++, Java, Linux) etc. I wasnt asked any mind boggling puzzle questions or anything.   Answer Question

Seems like an amazing place to work, but they dont pay like the big software companies where you can get 90-100K, the most you'll get here is 75. I would have loved to work there otherwise!!

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interviewed by a 6 person panel. Mostly project and tech questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis Junction, MD

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in October 2013.

Month One: Standard interview, got the job offer a few days after the interview. I pass background check. It was contingent on customer approval. I start waiting for interview with customer. Weeks go by with zero contact from recruiter.

Month Two: Recruiter disappears. No response to weekly emails and phone calls. Odd.

Month Three: I am passed to new recruiter and told project will be ramping up over months three and four. Great! But no response to email at end of month three. Not worried yet

Month Four: No response to weekly emails and phone calls asking about next steps. Voicemails left as well but no response. It's now been two months with no response and no word on what happened to 'ramp up' on accepted job offer. Unacceptable.

Month Five: I am passed to third recruiter via email. He has no idea what is going on but will check with PM. He never gets back to me. I haven't heard from him in two weeks. Shockingly he doesn't respond to email or voice mail. t guess I don't have an offer after all.

I've been in the business over 20 years and no company recruiters have ever treated me as badly as at Northrop Grumman. I guess they just don't care

At this point i don't really want to work for this company any more.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a problem with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethpage, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethpage, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

The interview was with 3 senior software engineers. They asked me questions about my college courses and about my knowledge of the life-cycle of software. I was not given any tests or asked any programming specific questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interviews are simple and non-technical- though there's always a steady flow of questions regarding technologies. I've interviewed for various positions within the company during my 6 years there and I've never been asked any questions that tested my knowledge of software/development/test. Overall the interviews focus on personality.

Accepted offer because pay is good and work is easy

Interview Questions
    • The discussions will include simple questions like, "have you heard of _____?".

For example,
      "Have you used clearcase?"
      "Do you know Java?"

Chances are the interviewer is not technical enough to ask a question with significant difficulty

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

There's no strict guideline on how to do interview. Every department or unit comes up with their own way.
    It can be 1 on 1, or 1 to many.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are generally not too challenging, nothing like interviewing for a job at Google.   Answer Question

Salary offered lower than market rate.