Northrop Grumman

Updated Nov 26, 2014

2.6

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Systems Administrator Interview

Phone interview first then interview with two other techs. They were very friendly, but I thought it was odd that they asked me to come in again to tell me I didn't get the job. It seemed like they sincerely wished me well, but it was awkward to hear I didn't get the job in person rather than over the phone.

Other Interview Reviews for Northrop Grumman

Systems Administrator Interview

This location is very adept at interviewing and choosing the right candidate for a position. The position was posted for a couple of weeks and a friend suggested that I apply for it. I applied and was set up for an interview in the same week. The day I interviewed they made a decision within 30 minutes to an hour afterwards and offered me the position.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult. I was a bit surprised and happy that I was able to answer them all.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation

Systems Administrator Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in December 2013.

Short version:
    Approx. 9 months of interviews including 2 phone interviews and 4 in-person interviews. Another 8 months to begin work after receiving job offer due to background investigation.

Long version:
    While I was in college, I submitted countless resumes over the course of two years (2010-2012) online and during corporate visitations on campus for full-time and internship positions. In March of 2013 I was contacted by someone in NGs talent acquisition who was interested in bringing me in to a college hiring event after a phone interview. We kept in contact over the course of a few months, but after some silence I called back in August of 2013 to see if there was any update on bringing me in for the hiring event. Unfortunately, I was told by her; "Sorry, I don't work on this anymore."

My campus had its annual career fair in October 2013, which I attended. While handing out resumes and speaking to employers, I eventually came to the Northrop Grumman booth. Behind the booth was none other than the person who kept in contact with me during most of 2013 and then practically told me to "shove off". I handed her my resume, and she recognized it. She then asked me if I could come in for an interview on campus the next day, which I did.

The interview was not difficult; it was mostly asking about personality, college course experience, working with others, and projects; nothing irrelevant or made to stump the interviewee. After the interview, she scheduled me with a College Hire event that NG was holding in November 2013.

I suited up and made the two hour trip to McLean, VA for the College Hire event where I had two interviews, each with a manager from a different team. Again, the interviews were very relaxed and questions were mostly regarding my technical experience, college courses, and personality. One manager and I got off on a great foot about some of my interests and goals, and even had a few good laughs together. After the event, I was told that I would get my results in a couple of weeks regarding whether or not I would be hired. Unfortunately, this was around the time of the government shutdown, so I was told that the teams I interviewed with were down in funding and couldn't hire someone at the moment.

Back to square one after months of direct contact with NG, and only a month away from graduation, I was beaten and once again throwing my resume wherever I could. A few days after my hire event results, I received an email from someone in HR who was very apologetic, saying I was being considered for a position, but denied due to funding. She scheduled a phone interview with me and during it she told me to search for available positions that I qualified for and was interested in, send her the job IDs, and then she would contact those managers directly about me. I did just that, and a week later received an email asking me to come in for an interview.

Now December 2013, I suited up and went to the interview. I was being interviewed by two people where it was yet again a very relaxed interview with questions about my technical experience and college courses; no random questions thrown out of left field. The interview went well, and I could only hope that I would get favorable results.

A week later, I received an email stating that NG was moving forward with a job offer for me, and was contacted directly by phone about the steps to come. On my graduation day in December 2013, my family and I were out celebrating when I received a call about the official job offer and salary. From that point on, I filled out paperwork, traveled to the location for more paperwork, waited for the clearance process to go through, and received the okay to begin working in August 2014.

Interview Questions
    • None. Interviews were very relaxed and questions were mostly about my technical experience.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate. I was given a salary amount and took it since I was nearing graduation and desperate for a job. I have no complaints.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2013.

I was interviewed by two managers for each of the positions I was being considered for. After they described each job they asked me which one I would prefer. After I chose the more technical side the manager for the job I chose began to ask me about 8 or 9 technical questions from the info on my resume. After that they asked me if I had any questions and the interview ended. It was very short to be honest and it seemed as though they had already made they're minds up before the interview started.

Interview Questions
    • The technical questions were my hardest issue I would say because I said that most of my experience with the technology was beginner or in a classroom setting. I didn't believe this would be an issue because the job required less than a year of experience online.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person – interviewed at Northrop Grumman in October 2008.

I was already supporting the customer that Northrop Grumman won the contract from. The government organization that I was supporting had already requested that I remain to continue supporting them as a Northrop Grumman employee. I had already worked at that government site for over 10 years prior to Northrop Grumman winning the contract. Therefore my interview was easy.

Interview Questions
    None. I was already working in the position. They gave me a $2,500 pay raise.

Systems Administrator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman.

very simple and easy with direct questions about experience and ablities.

None.

Systems Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in January 2011.

Phone interview by in house recruiter then technical face to face interview. Status has been pending for the past 4 weeks.

Systems Administrator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in August 2010.

the Interview process was a bit expedited because I worked for Northrop before. I talked to my former Site Lead about a position that was opening up and we went through a simple interview of what was necessary for this job, Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2008, Exchange 2003/2007, basic Active Directory questions, etc.

I was able to talk to a few of the folk in the office before I started the job to find out the atmosphere and personalities, which I would recommend if possible. even better if you can visit the office.

Interview Questions
    • Which Clustering Technology was introduced in Exchange 2007 SP1?   View Answer
    I WAS able to negotiate a little. more than likely you should not accept a first offer. work with your hiring manager and see what can be done, asking for a few more thousand just might GET you a few more thousand, usually the worst they could say is no. of course they could ALSO say they are not interested but if they want you and you have the credentials and experience, it is worth the risk.

Systems Administrative Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Northrop Grumman in September 2009.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later. The recruiter collected all of my information and contacted each of my references. Due to security clearance, I had to go through a background check. My high school had consolidated several times so there was an issue finding my transcripts. After that was sorted out, I was interviewed by my immediate manager in person while his manager participated by phone.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a large bit of code and a database trace and asked if either was familiar with me and how would I troubleshoot any issues   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate per se. I stated my request up front and they met it .