Northrop Grumman Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 15, 2014

2.8

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

was easy, nothing difficult, was called by hiring manager for an onsite interview, was interviewd by 3 hiring managers for 3 different program, got an offer one week after. process took 4 weeks

no room for negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Northrop Grumman

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rolling Meadows, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolling Meadows, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2014.

Applied online via the Northrop Grumman careers website. Contacted by hiring manager via email a few months later. Initial phone interview with hiring manager and an RF systems engineer. Brought in for an on-site interview at the Rolling Meadows facility a few weeks later. Met with HR representative for a few minutes, followed by a panel interview with six or so employees. Mixture of functional managers and RF and EO/IR technical personnel. Asked to give a general overview of my experience / skillset, followed by a couple questions about my resume and some situational / behavioral questions. Opportunity to ask questions. Afterwards met with one of the higher up EO/IR managers, before finishing up with HR. Short tour of the facility to see the cafeteria area and new gym with showers. Whole interview took about 2 hrs. HR said they would be in touch. Followed up with HR via email a few weeks later. HR representative was kind enough to let me know they were moving in another direction.

Post interview treatment with regards to travel reimbursement was less than professional. Since I was traveling from out of town, HR had me contact the corporate travel agency to make flight, hotel, and rental car arrangements. Normally, this is billed directly to the company. Unfortunately, the hotel that they normally use for direct billing was fully booked, so I had to pay for the hotel out of pocket. I was told by the travel representative and the Northrop HR representative that this would be reimbursed. After the interview I mailed the receipts for hotel and other expenses to the HR representative as they requested. Three to four weeks later I sent an email to the HR representative inquiring if they had received the receipts since I had not yet received reimbursement. When the HR representative did not respond after a week, I sent another email to both HR representatives inquiring if they had received the receipts and were able to get the expense report into the processing queue. When I did not hear back from either HR rep, I sent an email to the hiring manager inquiring if he needed anything else from me in order to process the travel expense reimbursement. It has now been over two months and I have not received travel reimbursement or even an email from either HR rep or the hiring manager with regards to the expenses I submitted. As I point of comparison, I later interviewed with another Fortune 500 company and was reimbursed for travel expenses within 11 days. If you do interview with Northrop and have to travel from out of town, you may not be reimbursed for meals, hotel, and rental car gas even if they tell you that they will reimburse you beforehand.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Standard questions and resume, technical experience, and some situational / behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Asked by a friend to submit a resume because they were not satisfied with their applicants. After submitting I was scheduled for a phone interview with two of my co-workers to be. Neither was management level, although that seemed to be an outlier. Softball questions, asked about knowledge of Excel, what can I apply from my major, etc.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, very informal, laid back phone interview.   Answer Question
    I was given a good offer over $20 hr for a first time intern so I accepted without negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rolling Meadows, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rolling Meadows, IL

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Your basic panel interview. A group of 4 people sat around a table and asked mostly basic questions.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had a problem that you could not solve?   View Answer
    Much too long. It took 6 months for me to get them up to a reasonable offer.

Overall easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • One question asked about project design that I was not familiar with.   Answer Question

System Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

2 interviews with hiring manager. Not very technical. Just asking questions to see if you fit the group and if you are able to do the work.

I didn't negotiate but should have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palmdale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in August 2010.

contacted via HR department. Had a phone interview and a follow up interview on site. Offer was submitted the next day.

accepted initial offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redondo Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redondo Beach, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2010.

Initial contact was at the college career fair. I was scheduled for a campus interview (UCLA) within the next week. And then I was contacted by a hiring manager at Space Park to come in for a panel interview about a couple weeks later. Interview was with 3 different engineers and engineering managers. Relatively easy questions, nothing too technical, mostly conceptual questions.

Interview Questions
    • No question was too difficult. I was asked, "There are 2 different types of workers in the work force. Those who try to learn everything first, then attack their task, and others who bring their ideas to the project and learn as the project as they go while trying to applying their ideas. How would you come up to speed on this project?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Pedro, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Pedro, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2010.

Was interviewed by the hiring manager and senior engineer.

After the pleasantries, they both talked about the job position and history/impact of what their division do. I listened intently and asked pertinent questions related to their company and the job itself. While talking about the position and the specific job tasks required of me, they would ask if it was something I'd like to do... I said it was interesting and 'I can see myself doing it'.

After that the manager delved right into my resume and pointed out all the things I listed there. They were interested in the most difficult projects I have done at college, and asked about the work I have done at my current job. I tried to answer to the best of my knowledge.

They were more interested in analytical and problem solving things that I have done, so be sure to iron out your story and experience for them.

Since the job mostly deals with older systems that still used ADA, they asked if I would mind not having the latest and greatest to work with. I joked that I would always have my suped up Intel computer to work on at home so that wasn't a problem (but in honesty, I dreaded the thought of working on JUST analyzing old antiquated code for missiles & missile-related hardware components). I think they felt how enthused I was--so if you really want this job smile and really give it your all so that your passion shows.

They also asked about what I see myself doing in 5 or 10 years time. I get asked that question a lot at other places and I realize that you should mention a position at the job you are currently interviewing for, and not aim at such of upper level position like manager or such if you're going for an entry level position. It shows them that you want to see yourself working at this company and have goals and ambition here--but not too much ambition in so that it threatens the interviewer's job itself.

I thought I did well and even have a friend working there that vouched for me. Yet I wasn't given an offer nor did anybody else that interviewed there--the position is still posted online. I'm not really sure what they were looking for: but I'm sure it was young blood to replace the aging and tired crew and those that will stick around... forever.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2010.

Submitted my resume for the position a year previouse. Recieved a phone call out of the blue a year later asking me if I was interesded in the systems engineer job. I said yes. I talked to the manager for a half hour and then scheduled a sit down interview and a presentation for an hour in front of 30 people. It went well and I recieved an offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • What complex technical problems have you solved?   View Answer
    • How do you lead Integrated Product Teams?   View Answer
    The first offer was generous so I accepted without hesitation.

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!