Northrop Grumman

Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2014.

Interview Details – HR was very helpful with framing expectations before interview. HR walked me to and from meeting and wanted my feedback. Interviewer was helpful with current and future expectations of the position.

Interview Question – Why did you leave former position?   Answer Question

Art and Marketing Director Interview

Art and Marketing Director
Fairfax, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in October 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed 3 times without feeling overwhelmed. My interviewers were thorough, answered all of my questions without hesitation and made me feel at home. My salary requirements were met and I was assured that they would be due to my experience level and body of work.

Interview Question – Off of the information that you have been given so far from the client... Can you give me a quick marketing strategy you may implement for the brand if granted the position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation I submitted my salary and they accepted saying that my offer was fair and within reason.

Software Engineer III Interview

Software Engineer III
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in September 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the job and got a call from the hiring manager directly. I was surprised that HR didnt call. A 30 minute phone interview happened in a few days time. The interviewer focussed on core java/j2ee based questions. There were some spring/hibernate questions as well which could be found online. I was called for an onsite interview in a few days and had similar technical round. The met the Program manager, who gave overview of the project and expectation.
They also wanted other team members opinion and so I was asked to attend one more phone interview. This time the technical questions were more detailed and was at the level of syntax. Again, you can find these questions frequently asked in interviews and could be found online.

Interview Question – I dont think there were any difficult questions asked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I had other offers, but gave them up for Northrop due to the company's reputation as a defense contractor. I also accepted a lower salary and called up the HR person and agreed to their offer even though it was 10k less than my demand. I could have probably waited for a few more days to HR to return with more concrete analysis.

Computer Systems Analyst III Interview

Computer Systems Analyst III
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online with my resume and recieved a call from the recruiter asking if I was available for a phone interview, Was offered the job and flew out and met the customer and they were pleased with my in person interview.

Interview Question – How would you make yourself a part of our team?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was mostly about salary and starting time. I asked for their salary range and asked for a little above it and recieved it. I asked to start immediately and I was started within 2 weeks.

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Fairfax, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by two managers for each of the positions I was being considered for. After they described each job they asked me which one I would prefer. After I chose the more technical side the manager for the job I chose began to ask me about 8 or 9 technical questions from the info on my resume. After that they asked me if I had any questions and the interview ended. It was very short to be honest and it seemed as though they had already made they're minds up before the interview started.

Interview Question – The technical questions were my hardest issue I would say because I said that most of my experience with the technology was beginner or in a classroom setting. I didn't believe this would be an issue because the job required less than a year of experience online.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in January 2009.

Interview Details – I was hired from part time to full time in 1991 - worked up through the company and worked until 2012. Worked on various programs and when one ended obtained others with new program

Negotiation Details – was in 1991 - I do not recall - the one for Analyst was in 2008 and I was hired on the spot at a lateral move salary

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Reston, VA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in February 2009.

Interview Details – They asked stupid questions like how I would be able to handle additional work, which everyone asks.

Interview Question – Why are you applying for this job)?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Senior Inside Sales Interview

Senior Inside Sales
Greenbelt, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview Details – The interview process was great. Upon review of my resume, an HR Representative contacted me for a date and time to interview. I met with him briefly, then met with the Sales Manager and a couple of members of the sales team. I heard back fairly quickly that I would be receiving my offer letter and instructions to complete the mandatory drug screening.

Interview Question – There weren't any really difficult questions during this interview, as I have experienced in others. It was straight-forward, experience-based, position-based, and professional. No "if you were a tree" type of questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The base salary offered was an increase from my previous position so I was satisfied at the time. However, I would always advise at least a little bit of negotiating without being greedy or pushy.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Human Resources Manager
Falls Church, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in October 2010.

Interview Details – Contact from the recruiter, phone interview with the hiring manager, interview with several of the department members

Systems and Network Engineer Interview

Systems and Network Engineer
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Northrop Grumman in March 2013.

Interview Details – NGC is a big company and it shows. You don't really have an offer until you have a written one in hand - even if the recruiter says they're going forward with an offer and you'll see it in a few days.

The long version:

Two recruiters told me that they wanted me to interview for three NGC positions. My first two interviews went so well that one recruiter advised me to abandon the third lead. One recruiter emails me on a Thursday to tell me that they're going forward with an offer and that I should hear something early the next week.

I didn't hear anything for two weeks after I was told I would be getting an offer in a few days. I delayed accepting another offer to give NGC a chance to follow through on their promised offer. My emails/voicemails to the recruiter went unanswered.

I eventually had to give up on NGC based on the recruiters' lack of response. I accepted another offer and courteously informed all my POC at NGC that I am withdrawing my interest. Only then did that job-offering recruiter reply back to tell me that they filled the position internally.

Since I had already withdrawn, I cannot fathom any professional purpose justifying their telling me that they have selected another candidate. (you didn't really withdraw your interest, we rejected you!) That information would have been relevant and professional before I withdrew. Instead, the recruiter ignored me while I tried to give them consideration with another offer in hand.

Everybody in the interviews themselves were very nice, pleasant, and professional. My negative experience came afterwards with the recruiters and, possibly, the hiring managers.

In theory, I had three leads, two very interested hiring managers, and one offer of employment. In reality, I had bad communication, recruiters not returning my calls, a false job offer, and a spiteful response telling me that my withdrawal was moot because I would not have been hired anyway.

Interview Question – Nobody interviewing me was at/above my level of knowledge. The interview questions were actually their current problems and my answers seemed like they were more like "free consulting ideas" than an evaluation of my abilities and experience.   Answer Question

Worked for Northrop Grumman? Contribute to the Community!