Northside Independent School District

Relevance Date Difficulty

Math Teacher Interview

Math Teacher

Interviewed at Northside Independent School District

Interview Details – Applying to teach in NISD is a straightforward process that is pretty standardized. After being certified by passing the applicable ExCET examinations, openings can be applied for through the HR department of NISD's website. Jobs are posted for specific teaching positions, not necessarily for specific school locations. Make sure to bring examples of lessons, student work, and anything else that can demonstrate your proficiency as a teacher. Most questions related to my educational philosophy, how I would handle certain situations teachers face on a daily basis.

Interview Question – What would you do for a student who is not learning, after using all the normal avenues of remediation and intervention? (e.g. counselor/academic dean referrals, other support programs, parent contact, tutoring, etc.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation as teachers are hired at a standard pay rate based on experience level.

Middle School Librarian Interview

Middle School Librarian

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northside Independent School District.

Interview Details – First you will have a pre-screening interview with Library Services. If they approve you, then you are eligible to go on interviews with schools. 80+ applicants will apply for each opening. The pre-screening interview asked library related questions. Why do want to go from being a classroom teacher to a librarian? How would you handle a book that is being challenged by a parent? Where did you earn your Masters degree from? How would you go about selecting books for the library (NISD does have a selection policy, my interviewer was very impressed that I was aware of this policy and knew how to select books, they also have a challenge policy that is good to be aware of before the interview)

Interview Question – How will you motivate reluctant readers? This question was not unexpected, but it is difficult to answer unless you are interviewing at a campus where you are familiar with the demographics of the student population. I suggest researching the campus online thoroughly before going to campus interviews. Principals and other admin will have no idea what librarians really do - so they will ask questions in relation to how the library will affect classrooms and the whole school. Think like a teacher and it will go smoothly.   Answer Question

Educator Interview

Educator
San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and interviewed at Northside Independent School District.

Interview Details – Through central office, then through individual school.

Interview Question – What out for illegal personal questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Worked there too long.

Teacher Interview

Teacher

I applied online - interviewed at Northside Independent School District in May 2013.

Interview Details – Received a call the morning before asking if I could come in for an interview the next morning. Of course, I said yes. Interviewed with the principal and two other people. The interview wasn't that daunting they all had the same list of questions that they took turns asking.

Interview Question – They asked the same question twice for some reason. What are the qualities of a good teacher?   Answer Question

Elementary Science Specialist Interview

Elementary Science Specialist
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northside Independent School District.

Interview Details – Interviews are very cookie cutter. List of prepared questions. Committee style. The group went around the table asking predetermined questions. Little chance to expand on answers or field follow up questions.

Interview Question – Explain one time you had to use your creativity to complete a task.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Food Service Worker Interview

Food Service Worker
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Northside Independent School District in April 2012.

Interview Details – i was asked if I ever worked food service. I answered no except working register at Dairy Queen in High School. I was told that was good enough. I was also asked if I have ever worked with kids in a daycare or school. I answered no. She then asked "Are you sure?" I said I helped in the church nursery many years ago where each parent takes turns watching the classroom. I was told that was good enough and offered full time and part time jobs. She then sent me to have a physical done and drug screen.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. there is a set pay and thats all there is.

Very Easy Interview

MS/SQL Database Administrator Interview

MS/SQL Database Administrator
San Antonio, TX

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northside Independent School District in October 2011.

Interview Details – Would have entiled a pay cut

Interview Questions

• Would I sign contract for training (30 months, 100% repayment, plus travel expenses, plus room, plus meals at 21% interest), payable for any reason for separation including laid off, job cut, budget cut.   View Answer
  • If I face a total systems failure, what would I do?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Pay cut

Teacher Interview

Teacher

I applied through other source - interviewed at Northside Independent School District in May 2009.

Interview Details – Spoke with HR at a job fair. The agent asked which district made me an offer, I politely declined to answer in front of other job applicants. She announced which district it was based on the hiring process (I mentioned it not knowing it was the only district). She was very proud of herself for being so knowledgeable about other districts.
At that point I decided it was not the place for me.

Interview Question – The questions were very general because they were not granting private interviews, only in large groups.   Answer Question

Cert Teacher Interview

Cert Teacher

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Northside Independent School District in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the principle

Interview Questions

Worked for Northside Independent School District? Contribute to the Community!