Northwestern Mutual

Updated Jan 7, 2015
Updated Jan 7, 2015

2.8

Associate Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

-You do a test to see if you're suitable for the position
-If the hiring agent likes you, they will give you a chance.
-Come professionally dressed and make sure you look the hiring person in the eye. Since they are in sales they know how to read body language pretty well. Show confidence in order to not get low-balled on the negotiations.
-They will ask for your resume/cover letter beforehand so they can form questions for the interview.
-If you pass you will most likely be asked to start within a day or two since assistants have a high turnaround agents are always looking for new ones. They want to focus on sales and have you take care of the underwriting, service, and case prep or analysis of funds (depending on your registration status).

Interview Questions
You have a little wiggle room but not a lot. You will most likely be able to negotiate 2-3k more but it all depends on the success and experience of your agent.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Previous experience in the industry will be your strongest strength. However, if you have no experience in finance, you will have a high chance of success if you can show you're willing to be a team player and you're willing to work as hard as it takes to get the job done.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you feel you are the best person for this position?   Answer Question

Associate Financial Representative Interview

Transferred offices; office was helpful and had procedures in place to complete the transfer. Interview process was solid and each office has their own way of choosing who fits best with them. There are multiple interviews before contracting could be offered. Meetings are detailed with information regarding duties and benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest question to answer is "how do you plan to succeed" whether you're a representative or assistant.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL
    Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

Telephone interview, followed by in office interview with Managing Director, followed by 2 week training program, then must get certified to sell Life, Health & Annuity. Then after that, you will be placed with a mentor to sort of shadow and get advice from.

Interview Questions
    • What was your strongest or best attribute that you had with your past 2 jobs?   Answer Question

Associate Financial Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I was first hired to be an assistant in another city/state. I did a timed math test and then a personality test. These are helpful as it tells the company what type of worker you are. I was a perfectionist. I worked 6 months for the rep and took my insurance license test 3 times. I had no prior knowledge of insurance. Once passed, I transitioned into staff. I loved working for staff. But when it came for my family to move, I re-interviewed for staff and with financial reps. I heard that the staff jobs in DC were having a hiring freeze and were not getting bonuses, it was very different culture than what I was used to as well. The financial reps I did not choose we're the ones requiring me to get licensed in 6, 63, and they also seemed pushy. Come to find out that the reps I didn't pick, one moved and the other one later faced major compliance problems and he lost most of his titles. Looking back I believe I made the right decision, even though they are very laid back and don't know how to be employers.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions I receive are from financial reps, other assistants and clients. The questions revolve around billing, insurance, loans, policy change options, application input, underwriting, policy deliveries. All questions are opportunities to learn and grow in Northwestern Mutual products and service. Any difficult questions can be fielded to our home office and it is their answers that dictate what we can and cannot do.   Answer Question
    I was unfamiliar about negotiation when I first applied. I was very naive. So when I was hired a second time by reps, I negotiated my salary. Throughout the year I negotiated my bonus structure.

Associate Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2012.

Went to initial interview, took career assessment test after, then met with the managing director for an interview. Once offered a position, I had to pass a background check and formally apply to the company.

Interview Questions
    Initial offer, I counter-offered, and they accepted my request.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter who had been referred to me by someone who worked at NWM. After asking me some general background information in a phone interview, I was invited to come in for a one-on-one interview with a copy of my resume. The person interviewing me briefly skimmed by resume, and started asking interview questions gauging my knowledge of the company, and asking if I had any experience with investing. The interviewer asked me standard "what was a mistake you made and how did you overcome it" type questions, asked me to describe in detail one of my jobs and how it represented my skills. The interviewer seemed uninterested in many of the details and was rather confrontational and moved very abruptly through the questions. The process ended with the interviewer asking if I had any questions about the company, and then gave me a packet with information to access a personality test I had to take online within 48 hours. If selected, I would move onto a second interview round. I went home, took the personality test, and within 24 hours heard back that they were not interested. They were very clearly looking for strong sales people. The office culture seemed very friendly and informal, people were chatting in the waiting room and with the secretary and everyone had a smile on. I searched through the culture book, and many team-building and community events seemed to be organized throughout the year. Everyone wore business attire.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any experience with investing, and what can you tell me about them?   View Answer
    • Tell me a time that you overcame adversity.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2012.

I was called into their main office for a position that they had a vacancy for. The interview focused primarily on past events, past accomplishments, and what I was seeking in the next 5 years. The Wonderlic test was given as well as a personlity assessment. Essentially they look for assistants who will work well with the sales team, especially with regard to personality.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2009.

The interview was to say the least EASY. It was a plethora of typical interview questions. Such as where do you see yourself in 5 years, why are you seeking new employment, give me 3 adjectives that describe you. The interview was about an hour long and there were no scenario questions the bulk of the time was spent on talking about employment history and the requirements of the Associate Financial Representative position. The interviewer as well as her staff were very polite but it seems there is a lot of interoffice gossip as while I was in the bathroom before the interview I heard a lot of gossip as well as while I was waiting in the reception area.

Associate Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Answered ad online. They called within 1 week, we spoke in the phone, face to face interview a few days later and a few days after that I was offered the job.

Interview Questions
    They increased base salary 6k based on previous experience.