Northwestern Mutual
3.7 of 5 1,132 reviews
www.northwesternmutual.com Milwaukee, WI 5000+ Employees

Northwestern Mutual Associate Financial Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Dec 10, 2013

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Financial Representative

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I was first hired to be an assistant in another city/state. I did a timed math test and then a personality test. These are helpful as it tells the company what type of worker you are. I was a perfectionist. I worked 6 months for the rep and took my insurance license test 3 times. I had no prior knowledge of insurance. Once passed, I transitioned into staff. I loved working for staff. But when it came for my family to move, I re-interviewed for staff and with financial reps. I heard that the staff jobs in DC were having a hiring freeze and were not getting bonuses, it was very different culture than what I was used to as well. The financial reps I did not choose we're the ones requiring me to get licensed in 6, 63, and they also seemed pushy. Come to find out that the reps I didn't pick, one moved and the other one later faced major compliance problems and he lost most of his titles. Looking back I believe I made the right decision, even though they are very laid back and don't know how to be employers.

Interview Question – Most of the questions I receive are from financial reps, other assistants and clients. The questions revolve around billing, insurance, loans, policy change options, application input, underwriting, policy deliveries. All questions are opportunities to learn and grow in Northwestern Mutual products and service. Any difficult questions can be fielded to our home office and it is their answers that dictate what we can and cannot do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was unfamiliar about negotiation when I first applied. I was very naive. So when I was hired a second time by reps, I negotiated my salary. Throughout the year I negotiated my bonus structure.

Associate Financial Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2012.

Interview Details – Went to initial interview, took career assessment test after, then met with the managing director for an interview. Once offered a position, I had to pass a background check and formally apply to the company.

Interview Question – Providing reason for leaving my prior job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Initial offer, I counter-offered, and they accepted my request.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter who had been referred to me by someone who worked at NWM. After asking me some general background information in a phone interview, I was invited to come in for a one-on-one interview with a copy of my resume. The person interviewing me briefly skimmed by resume, and started asking interview questions gauging my knowledge of the company, and asking if I had any experience with investing. The interviewer asked me standard "what was a mistake you made and how did you overcome it" type questions, asked me to describe in detail one of my jobs and how it represented my skills. The interviewer seemed uninterested in many of the details and was rather confrontational and moved very abruptly through the questions. The process ended with the interviewer asking if I had any questions about the company, and then gave me a packet with information to access a personality test I had to take online within 48 hours. If selected, I would move onto a second interview round. I went home, took the personality test, and within 24 hours heard back that they were not interested. They were very clearly looking for strong sales people. The office culture seemed very friendly and informal, people were chatting in the waiting room and with the secretary and everyone had a smile on. I searched through the culture book, and many team-building and community events seemed to be organized throughout the year. Everyone wore business attire.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience with investing, and what can you tell me about them?   View Answer
  • Tell me a time that you overcame adversity.   View Answer

Dallas, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was called into their main office for a position that they had a vacancy for. The interview focused primarily on past events, past accomplishments, and what I was seeking in the next 5 years. The Wonderlic test was given as well as a personlity assessment. Essentially they look for assistants who will work well with the sales team, especially with regard to personality.

Interview Question – What are your three top accomplishments?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was to say the least EASY. It was a plethora of typical interview questions. Such as where do you see yourself in 5 years, why are you seeking new employment, give me 3 adjectives that describe you. The interview was about an hour long and there were no scenario questions the bulk of the time was spent on talking about employment history and the requirements of the Associate Financial Representative position. The interviewer as well as her staff were very polite but it seems there is a lot of interoffice gossip as while I was in the bathroom before the interview I heard a lot of gossip as well as while I was waiting in the reception area.

Interview Question – There were weren't any.   Answer Question

Associate Financial Representative

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Answered ad online. They called within 1 week, we spoke in the phone, face to face interview a few days later and a few days after that I was offered the job.

Interview Question – Most important person in my life and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They increased base salary 6k based on previous experience.

Associate Financial Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2009.

Interview Details – intitial communicatio good, hard to work straight commission as a financial rep

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual Associate Financial Representative interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.