Northwestern Mutual

Updated Jul 31, 2014

2.6

56 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

College Financial Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

3 interviews at 2 different office locations including 1 group interview. Went over personality characteristics, the demands of the job, and compensation. Everyone involved was easy to talk to and deal with. My one complaint was that they were slow to reveal the full duties the job entails. I applied online in November and was officially contracted in May.

Interview Questions
  • They asked me as a homework assignment to get a list of 40 referrals in 10 days.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I applied through my university and the process took about a week. I was first called by the recruiter to set up an interview. When the it was time for the interview, the recruiter was casual and very approachable. However, I did not feel comfortable continuing to the second round of interviews since it required me to present them a list of my contacts so I can sell them insurance once I began the internship.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was very casual and the interviewer seemed asked question about how you could sell an item.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2013.

submitted resume and received a call a week later, scheduled an interview at their office about 2 weeks later. interview was very basic, just asked about me. then a day later they called me back in for another interview where a guy handed me a folder with some "homework" assignments and made it seem very exclusive. he wanted me to write down 100 people i could cold call.....

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Woodland Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

It's a three step process. There is an initial interview, an interview with your potential mentor, and a final interview discussing your compensation and benefits at Northwestern Mutual. Between each interview, there is an assignment to complete which is reviewed during the meeting. Each interview typically lasts between 1- 2 hours and they are all 1:1.

Interview Questions
    • They typically ask behavioral based questions. Overall, great interview experience.   Answer Question

Bad timing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

I reached out to Northwestern at my college career fair. It took them a month to contact me, and then I interviewed in my home city. They ask potential prospects to take a sales personality test and to compile a list of potential contacts. Personally, I was not comfortable in Northwestern, and I rejected an offer from them.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to interpret my personality test results and explain to them how I felt about the results.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Murfreesboro, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Very laid back. Interview was to test your knowledge but more importantly to test your personal skills. After getting offered was harder than the interview. You then have to take tests, fill out tons of paperwork, and do a lot of online nonsense. However, it is worth it in the end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  La Jolla, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Three interview process. Basic. Met with recruiter, and managing directors. Talk about how you are unique in your ability to contribute to the growth and expansion of the company through your own market.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Woodland Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Far too long and grueling. Made it seem super difficult, but this place is actually desperate for interns so they can make money off their friends and family members. This place is scummy, but wrapped in a very pretty package.

Interview Questions
    • Gave pointless homework during interview process that annoyed friends and family. Third interview is a daunting presentation that even if butchered, will still get you the job.   Answer Question

College Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I met a NWM recruiter during the career fair on campus. I was almost immediately contacted for a interview. I went through three separate interviews with three different people; never as a panel. The interview questions were not difficult, or unexpected. The hiring process took at least a month; before I was officially hired I had to become Life and Health licensed which took an additional two or three weeks.

Interview Questions
    • How would you approach someone you know (family, friends, etc.) about purchasing life insurance?   Answer Question
    Since this was an internship there was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, IL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Got referred by a friend. Very easy interview. Mostly fit questions.

no negotiations

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!