Northwestern Mutual
3.7 of 5 1,130 reviews
www.northwesternmutual.com Milwaukee, WI 5000+ Employees

Northwestern Mutual College Financial Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Getting the Interview

48 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

College Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I met a NWM recruiter during the career fair on campus. I was almost immediately contacted for a interview. I went through three separate interviews with three different people; never as a panel. The interview questions were not difficult, or unexpected. The hiring process took at least a month; before I was officially hired I had to become Life and Health licensed which took an additional two or three weeks.

Interview Question – How would you approach someone you know (family, friends, etc.) about purchasing life insurance?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since this was an internship there was no negotiation.

Springfield, IL

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Got referred by a friend. Very easy interview. Mostly fit questions.

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Interview Details – Initial meet at College Career Fair. Called in for a second meeting to discuss my potential, the company and the actual job. Handed a market survey to personally determine if it were the right job for me. (A mock trial of the actual job) After 2 weeks, called in for a third meeting and boardroom presentation of the market survey. Acceptance determined at this point.

Interview Question – How can I help to keep you on top of your game? (Always willing and trying to help you succeed)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They work around your class schedule and promote that classes come first. Never have to work during midterms and finals.

Columbus, OH

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – The interview process is just weeding out good from bad work ethic. Show up in a suit and tie, and you should be good to go. No need to know industry information, be as honest as possible. Be on time, and display confidence in the interview setting.

Interview Question – I wouldn't say there was one   Answer Question

College Financial Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I interviewed with them in September 2012. All of the questions were your typical behavioral questions. No insurance experience necessary because you will be taking a course in order to pass your licensing exams before you're able to start. Overall, very nice people that made me comfortable during the entire process

Interview Question – what is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Fill out a behavioral questionnaire before first interview. Make a powerpoint about your strengths, weaknesses, etc for second interview. Conduct interviews with 15 people about there insurance experience for the third interview. The whole thing is designed to see if you are comfortable reaching out to your friends and family as leads.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Met Northwestern Mutual representatives at a college career fair. They seemed very eager to talk to me so I decided to pursue an interview with them. My interview was probably about a week later and it was nothing too difficult. The interviewer was very nice and she basically asked a few behavioral questions. She asked me to come back for a second interview which I did a few days later and met with someone else. He also asked more behavioral questions and at the end of the conversation, he offered me the job.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It seemed like they were just trying to get my contacts.

Manchester, NH

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Interview Details – recruited from college recruiter at school and then went through 3 step interview process. Two phone interviews initially then a follow up in person interview. The in person interview is about personality tests and if you are good fit for company or not. Then an offer is made depending on the outcome.

Interview Question – How would you see yourself communicating with peers that you were unfamiliar with?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2012.

Interview Details – Received a phone call that they wanted to interview. First interview was laid back and you talked about yourself. You were then given homework to get 100 names and basic information about them. Second interview was more about the job and expectations, and you were given more homework where you had to get more detailed information about people and give people surveys. The third interview was to go over everything and I was told the next day that I had the job.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Just asked basic information about yourself and people you know, and they tell you how to make the job better for yourself based on your traits and the people that you know.   Answer Question

La Crosse, WI

I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Interview Details – The process is a little overwhelming, but the environment is very laid back. It is easy to be relaxed and there aren't really any surprises, very basic interview questions. You will have to perform field surveys and give a presentation, which is a little much, but easy enough to do.

Interview Question – Pretty basic questions, but they put a lot of focus on what YOU want out of the experience, where you want to be in life, what your goals are...a little more personal than professional.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual College Financial Representative interview questions and advice. All 48 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.