Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – The interview is very easy and outgoing, mostly just questions based on your experience and knowledge. I would say there're 2 interview steps, but the meeting is 3.
First one is with the recruiter, he/she wants to get to know you better, easy questions, mostly ask about yourself and your previous experience, do some research about the company and what do you think the job is.
Next interview is with a higher up person, he/she will then talk to your more in depth about the job. Do some research and ask the interviewer as much questions as you can. If he/she likes you, then you get an assignment. Nothing too hard, you just have to meet at least 5 people, ask some questions (about yourself). It's not graded or anything, so take it easy. You come back in the next meeting, show it to that person and you talk a little bit more.
If they think you're qualified for the job, they'll give you a call in a couple days

Interview Question – Nothing to difficult. It's straight forward and really easy. It's mostly from your own experience   Answer Question

East Lansing, MI

I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – They have a three meeting process for their interviews, the first is basically just getting to know you, the second is a meeting with a manager, and the third is a presentation about how you will help the company and how the company will help you. The hiring manager seemed very nice.

Interview Question – What is your greatest accomplishment
What is the best scenario you see your self in in 10-15 years
  Answer Question

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Interview Details – First initial phone interview consisted of basic questions getting to know you. Interviewer was very nice and engaged in conversation well. After you pass phone interview they have you complete a small slideshow about yourself where you present it in the next 1 on 1 interview. After the 1 on 1 interview they have you complete a market survey to recruit potential clients. Final interview you turn in the market survey and go over details.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – All commission based must go out and recruit own clients to make money.

Wilmington, NC

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2011.

Interview Details – My interviewer first asked me to fully explain my resume and what sales experience I have. She then asked me how I have dealt with rejection before & what motivates me to work. She then asked me my feelings on a purely driven commission position. The second interview they show you what you are selling (mainly insurance) then she asks you what you thought about the information packet she gave you at the end of the first interviewer. The last interview you give the interviewer & the director of the local northwestern a presentation on why they should choose you. They then will extend an offer or inform you of their decision in a few days.

Interview Question – Why are you drawn to a commission position?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – This company seems to rely on "family friends" to buy your product and not true sales. I was looking for something that would put me out in front of other businesses/people I did not know and be able to show them my product and them be able to tell that my product is the best.

However, I feel this product is very overpriced and did not believe in it. Therefore, this was not a good fit for me.

Newport Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2010.

Interview Details – They call back almost everyone just so they can have a bigger selection pool. The first is a group information session. After the group interview, you talk with the recruiter to discuss about an interview. The first interview consists of creating a presentation on Powerpoint about why you want to work for Northwestern Mutual. After that, they give you a packet which you must complete. It consists of "surveys" with family/friends personal information, and other handouts to "analyze your market." Finally, after that is a final interview. The span of all of this took almost two months due to lack of communication on the recruiter's end. I had to continually send follow-ups.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – The job entails selling insurance to family and friends. It's not actually building a business, it's about finding enough people to buy insurance from you.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!