Northwestern Mutual

Updated Apr 29, 2014

Average Difficulty
49 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Jacksonville, FL

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2009.

Interview Details – First you submit a resume, they then call you describing your position. Then you have a one on one interview with HR associate. After the first interview you are given a personality test to take online. If you pass the test you are called back for a second interview in which you are given forms to be filled out by your "network" (potential clients) at which point I declined the position as I didn't want to harrass family and friends.

Interview Questions

Financial Advisor

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process at Northwestern Mutual consist of 4-5 interviews. You being dealing with developmental officer and then finish up with CFO of that particular branch. You must complete a survey of 10 people for them to make it past the 3rd interview within a timely manner as well pass multiple personality tests.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Northwestern ?   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Interview Details – My first interview was supposed to be with just one HR lady, but one of the Agents that worked there decided to sit in my interview for some reason. The interview went pretty smoothly as I got along with both of the people pretty easily. They ask basic interview questions in the realm of sales. From there I accepted a second interview which was a group/panel interview. there were 3 panel members and about 8 interviewees. The position was for an internship, and me only having 2 classes about to graduate I felt I was way over qualified as most of the people interviewing were freshman sophomores or juniors and I was a 5th year senior. From the questions other people were asking I could tell I was much more qualified. The interview commenced with them giving us this "Rhino" Project in which we were supposed to get 15 peoples numbers that we could "use as future references" (basically people to sell insurance too). The job was 100% commission and the idea of making a living off of initially selling insurance to my friends and family members was dumb.

Interview Question – What is your best achievement?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – 100% commission no base pay

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Advisor

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Interview Details – very basic

Interview Question – tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Interview Details – The company was great but not the rout I wanted to go

Interview Question – What is your favored method   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straight forward. They ask a lot of behavioral based interview question to asses what type of personality and to ensure you're the type of person fitting for this job. They also have you take two online questionnaires which are essentially personality tests.

Interview Question – Three words that you would say do NOT describe you (I hate these types of questions).   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received another offer that I was very excited about.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details – They call you for a brief company informational interview and they'll ask you somethings about you on your resume. You'll pretty much get the second round if you get the first call. They people are nice and very enthusiastic. Second round is Skype/phone call and it's more in depth and they'll ask several behavioral questions.

Interview Question – How are you going to expand our company by using your own network?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied online and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – First interview out of five.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, just the usual questions about your characteristics and values.   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2009.

Interview Details – The office was very fancy, clean and people were professionally dressed. I met with the HR Recruiter. She was very friendly and made the interview more comfortable. The interview didn't last very long. She asked basic questions about work history, extracurricular activities, affiliations etc. Then asked about credit information. If I had filed bankruptcy. I was laid off last year and I had to file bankruptcy. So, at that point the interview was over. She later emailed me and told me I would have to wait a few years and re-apply with them.

Interview Questions

Little Rock, AR

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

Interview Details – The office was very friendly. First interview was with a recruiter, second interview with the head of the branch. Second interview was basically a 2 hour "In-depth fact finding" interview. They wanted to know everything from what my day-to-day schedule was to how much personal assets and liabilities I had to my name. Felt like I was getting ready to pay them in order to work there. They did inform me that they would help pay for my licensing and such and I had no obligation to stay with or reimburse the company if I decided to leave (probably because of a high washout rate).

Interview Question – How many contacts do you think you need to have in order to be successful here?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Got a bad vibe about the pay scale. I was going to be put through an internship after graduating from college and get paid $200 a week over the summer months. Compensation was entirely commission.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!