Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated May 26, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

The initial interview with the recruiter will be more like a conversation and you will have an opportunity to ask them questions. I would highly recommend asking them about the training program/process as it is very vague on their website. It lasted about an hour and the recruiter explains your role in the company and the options you have as far as office location. They explain that their business model has you reach out to your own networks and recruit clients instead of cold calling or knocking on doors.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in a future career and why do you want to work at Northwestern Mutual?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

4 interviews about 1 hour each with 4 different people. Last interview was with the managing partner. Gave a decent job description and explained duties. interviewers asked many questions on past working experience and how comfortable one is networking and speaking to people.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

It was a 1 on 1 phone interview. Met some reps at a college job fair and was contacted by HR within a week from my desired working location. The interview was very easy going and the interviewer allowed me to easily keep the conversation flowing. It was laid back and the tone was conversational rather than interrogational. We spoke mainly about my experiences with a former employee and what I learned from those experiences.

Interview Questions

• Former employer. More conversational interview than interrogating me with questions.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Interview was held over the phone, very standard questions, i.e. your background, experience, why would you like to join Northwestern Mutual. Interviewer was very laid back and just asked questions, none of which were challenging. Seemed more like a personality test than anything else. However, position seemed to be more of a sales/business development position than analysis.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Melville, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

The general questions were asked. Asked where you see yourself working and what you expected to be in 10 years down the road. Overall very simple nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• When did you have to deal with failure and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied to multiple locations through their post on a college job board. I spoke with a recruiter from Manhattan. She asked if I plan to move to the area after graduation and if I knew a large network of people there. If you tell them that you know a lot of people with money in that area I'm sure they'll offer you a position.

The recruiter didn't mention anything about the responsibilities of being a financial advisor. As well, in the informational email she had sent me it states that their wealth management services are outsourced to a different branch of the firm. Really what I assume you would be doing is trying to sell life insurance policies. Another student I know worked there and tried selling me life insurance last summer. The job sounds pitiful.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Asked several questions about yourself, and what you know about the job and the company for first interview. Then, if you pass, you have another interview where they learn more about you.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

It was a very friendly interview, more about getting to know me and what my goals were rather than cookie-cutter interview questions, although there were a few thrown in every now and then. I was asked about how I felt about sales and starting with insurance, which I am not entirely sure I want to be involved with but I said I wouldn't have a problem with.

Interview Questions

• What are you most proud of so far in your life?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Very easy, basic questions about yourself, laid back. They did me three interviews. the first one was to know me. The second was with a financial advisor, to know the job and ask him questions. The third one you have to do a project.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

They do not provide sponsorship for work visas. The interviewer was friendly and asked basic behavioral questions. The inter viewer asked to walk through the resume and asked about skills I mentioned on my resume.