Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New Orleans, LA) in August 2015.

Interview

You apply online, and you get a phone call from someone asking you to come in. Before you do your first interview, you are asked to fill out an online quiz that gauges your personality. This lets them see what kind of person you are and if you would be a good fit for the company. If everything goes well, they move you on to the next step of the interview. You'll complete another quiz, except it's much longer, and they will call you in for a second interview. This interview is more to get to know who you are as a person, and they want to hear about you and your life. Afterwards, the team leaders get together and discuss on whether or not they move you to the next step, and ultimately a job offer. The entire process takes about 2-3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself personally, career wise, and financially in three years?   Answer Question
  • If you were to leave the room, and I had two of your friends come in. What would they tell me about you?   Answer Question
  • What have you done in recently to try to improve yourself?   Answer Question
  • What experience working in (insert volunteer work, extracurricular, etc here) has helped you work better at your current job?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

first interview with the recruiter and in-depth with the management partner to learn more about the job duty. The third interview is about the pay and you will be notify about getting the offer at the end.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview with the HR Manager, which was more him selling the position rather than a question and answer session. We exchanged emails to set up an in-person interview but after reading reviews on Glassdoor, I sent a follow-up email asking whether this was 100% commission-based. He said, "We put a lot of money into training the candidates and in about a year, they will know what their base will look like. We can discuss further when you come in. If this isn't the right position, we can talk about other opportunities." When I went in for the in-person interview, the receptionist gave me a sheet to fill out. The second page was "List the names and phone numbers of friends and family members you think would be a good choice to discuss financial planning" or something along those lines. Not a good sign. The HR Manager was friendly and laid back but you could tell he was still selling the position. He kept asking if I grew up in the area and what my network looked like. He said to think about it like LinkedIn and how networks/referrals are their biggest source of new customers... I was annoyed that I specifically asked him if this was a commission-only position, prior to meeting, to prevent wasting either of our time. Not only did he waste hours of my time but the "other opportunities" discussion never happened either. He sent me a follow-up email for next steps but I declined to move forward.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Antonio, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

The recruiters were incredibly nice. The interview should be relatively easy if you have previous experience; however, they did ask a few strange questions that should not be asked in an interview. Like, were you born here?, etc. Although it's a formal environment, I would say the interview process was quite relaxed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Stamford, CT) in June 2015.

Interview

You will be going through 3 interviews before you can get hired. It sounds intimidating but it's really not. The interviews are easy and it seems like they are selling you the job and not really you selling yourself to the interviewer. If you look decent and you seem like a decent guy you'll probably get hired

Interview Questions

• Have you considered opening up your own business?   1 Answer
    • What is something you over came   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was more like a conversation and they will see how match you are. Recruiters are really nice and they will help you with the whole interview process. It took about 30 mins for the interview and they will ask you if you have any questions for them.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was easy and basically personality test to get them to know you better. But it seems like they want your contact/ network more than your skills. I think if you have limited prospect network that they think wont be able to add to the company clients then it might be hard to get an offer. I just dont think calling my friends and families for me to get the job is a good way to start.

Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Downers Grove, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

It started fairly normal process, first phone interview and then they wanted me to start coming in person once a week. My biggest problem was that they weren't flexible about interview times. If you are currently employed this will be a difficult place to interview due to an extensive process where each interview is long and they don't do them outside normal business hours.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

The initial interview with the recruiter will be more like a conversation and you will have an opportunity to ask them questions. I would highly recommend asking them about the training program/process as it is very vague on their website. It lasted about an hour and the recruiter explains your role in the company and the options you have as far as office location. They explain that their business model has you reach out to your own networks and recruit clients instead of cold calling or knocking on doors.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in a future career and why do you want to work at Northwestern Mutual?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

4 interviews about 1 hour each with 4 different people. Last interview was with the managing partner. Gave a decent job description and explained duties. interviewers asked many questions on past working experience and how comfortable one is networking and speaking to people.