Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
49 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Passed first interview. Basic personality questions.

West Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Interview Details – There is a 3 round interview process. You are assigned a small project and also have to get a contact list of all the people you know. This is the way they do business. The pay is strictly performance based. Training is paid however.

Interview Question – Interview was pretty easy going. Not very difficult.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Compensation Issue

Financial Advisor

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Interview Details – Interview: personal analysis makes or breaks you. They have great associates who encourage you every part of the way.

Interview Question – There were ordinary questions that are asked for an interview. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What is your greatest accomplishment?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – personality wasn't right for the position

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Met the rep at my campus career fair. We exchanged emails and set up a meeting time for my interview. If I had chosen to accept after the interview, I would have begun a pseudo-internship with them for the second half of the year before coming on full time after graduation.

Interview Question – It was a basic behavioral interview. No questions were out of left field but I always jump a bit when they ask how a specific part of my previous experience connects with a specific thing that they do.   Answer Question

New Brunswick, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2011.

Interview Details – They had a recruiter reach out for me, it was an easy process but judging by the clothes the people wore and the cars in the parking lot, there was no way that anyone was making anywhere close to the numbers they proposed.

Interview Question – Was very simple and straight forward.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The job did not seem to live up to the promise

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – There were multiple interviews, addressing various parts of the job. There was also a homework assignment where one went around interviewing potential cutomers about their current views of the industry and how best to approach people in their position. This finally culminated with a personal pitch presentation to the hiring person and reviews of your homework.

Interview Question – Do you have any questions?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Job was not for me.

Financial Advisor

I applied online and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – First interview out of five.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, just the usual questions about your characteristics and values.   Answer Question

Interview Details – 1 phone call interview with a project prompt at the end

Interview Question – They want you to ask family and friends for funds   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details – They call you for a brief company informational interview and they'll ask you somethings about you on your resume. You'll pretty much get the second round if you get the first call. They people are nice and very enthusiastic. Second round is Skype/phone call and it's more in depth and they'll ask several behavioral questions.

Interview Question – How are you going to expand our company by using your own network?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Two to three separate interviews. The hiring managers really take the time to get to know you and are very picky with who they bring into the company.

Interview Question – Most of the questions are straight forward. Looking for hard working and highly motivated individuals.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined because it was a majority commission based position. This compensation is not for me.