Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
49 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straight forward. They ask a lot of behavioral based interview question to asses what type of personality and to ensure you're the type of person fitting for this job. They also have you take two online questionnaires which are essentially personality tests.

Interview Question – Three words that you would say do NOT describe you (I hate these types of questions).   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received another offer that I was very excited about.

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – The interview is a list of basic questions that tests your personality and ability to interact with strangers. You will also be required to take and pass the state health and life insurance license. Your employment is contingent on you passing those tests. They will pay for one try.

Interview Question – Can you be able to list 300 people to your connection   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2011.

Interview Details – Found the listing through Craigslist. Pretty sure that if you have a pulse they will interview you. 3 interviews total. All behavorial and very easy, but in the last one, you have to make a presentation to a real agent on why you want to join them.

Also have to take a personality test and come up with 100 names of people you will call after your first round interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself, why Northwestern, will you have enough people to call during the summer?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – The initial interview was the most laid back, easy interview I have ever been on! The recruiter was sweet and thought I had great potential. I scored very high on the "exams" to get me on to the next round and am currently awaiting for my second interview in a few days!!"

Interview Question – What is your family like? It's definitely not a question I've ever been asked on other interviews...but she seemed to like the way I answered the question and had a similar upbringing to mine so it gave us something to talk about.   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2012.

Interview Details – This position requires you to sell insurance to people. The method they want you to use is "networking through people you already know." The first step in the hiring process was an
"info session," which I went to. I did not pursue the internship after that. This position is a sales job more than anything else. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not for me. I wish they were more forthcoming about what the internship entails because I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Iowa City, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2012.

Interview Details – Really quick interview process, got and set up an interview before they had really looked at my resume or my career wants. Showed up early and professionally dressed, did my homework about them ahead of time. The interviewer showed up 10 late, still chatting with friends from lunch.

Interview Question – Basic what are you strengths/weaknesses - I guess interview was bored of it too because she could not stop rolling her eyes. Talk about be distracted I couldn't concentrate with her obnxious attitude.   View Answer

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Interview Details – I met with other employees at the company to learn about the process when starting with the company, I had to have 200 contacts in my city before I started. This made me realize that the insurance industry wasn't how I wanted to start my Financial Planning career. I liked the Director of Recruitment, she was very positive and encouraging but couldn't change my mind.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a Financial Advisor?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter who came across my resume at a jobs board. I then did my research on the company and found mixed reviews. I then was scheduled for a ohine interview that lasted for about 30 minutes. It was conducted by the recruiter and i was asked to just talk about myself and my personality. Recruiter expressed interest in further advancing the interview process and scheduled a 1:1 interview at a Chicago office location with their top performer. I decided to give it a chance to see if it was a fit for me. The interview was very brief only was asked at most 8 questions and primarily entailed information on what the program was like. I was then asked to come back and sit with a mentor during a client meeting and scheduling for licensing was being scheduled. They also asked me to do 25 surveys and also list 25 contacts that I thought would be interested in their services. I thought it was a sleazy move to try to get business during an interview and really soured any potential interest with the company. It's really just sales job with no leads provided and 100% commission in other words you really are no risk to them if you make them money you make money if you don't then guess what?? you might have possibly soured your relationships with those on your address book trying to sell them overpriced insurance products while at the same time just wasting gas and most importantly your TIME. Jobs like these will promise you the world and focus in on presenting you others' rare success stories but never tell you about failure rate. Really didn't look like a top 15 internship to me.

Interview Question – What was your childhood like?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Because of lack of steady income this was not the ideal opportunity for me.

San Diego, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Interview Details – My first interview was supposed to be with just one HR lady, but one of the Agents that worked there decided to sit in my interview for some reason. The interview went pretty smoothly as I got along with both of the people pretty easily. They ask basic interview questions in the realm of sales. From there I accepted a second interview which was a group/panel interview. there were 3 panel members and about 8 interviewees. The position was for an internship, and me only having 2 classes about to graduate I felt I was way over qualified as most of the people interviewing were freshman sophomores or juniors and I was a 5th year senior. From the questions other people were asking I could tell I was much more qualified. The interview commenced with them giving us this "Rhino" Project in which we were supposed to get 15 peoples numbers that we could "use as future references" (basically people to sell insurance too). The job was 100% commission and the idea of making a living off of initially selling insurance to my friends and family members was dumb.

Interview Question – What is your best achievement?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – 100% commission no base pay

Skokie, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2010.

Interview Details – Ability to interpret or extract information. Must be able to process information quickly and still maintain quality by having great attention to detail.

Ability to analyze and make independent judgements on contract fundings while providing the highest level of service to the dealers.

Interview Question – How much money do you want to make?   Answer Question