Northwestern Mutual

2.4

49 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2009.

Northwestern mutual interview process was fairly straight forward. Had a initial interview, with what seemed to be a secretary (attractive), who asked general, scripted questions. After that interview you meet with a real agent and he sort of feels you out and makes sure he likes you.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you have multiple task and what steps did you take to complete them?   Answer Question
No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2011.

I posted my resume on Monster.com and was contacted by a NWM recruiter. She asked some resume questions, if I am interested and if I would like to continue with an on sight interview. While there she asked mainly easy, resume questions. The first one was what do you know about our company and second, how do you deal with rejections. It was mainly her advertising the company; they explain the interview process well so you know what you get into. It is a 3 year sales job of only insurance products. On the 2nd stage of the interview you have to come up with a 100 contacts that would buy insurance from you and make a presentation on how you will get to selling it.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with rejections?   Answer Question
    • How many contacts do you have and are comfortable contacting to sell them insurance?   Answer Question

Wrong industry. Not analytical.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2011.

Stanard 1:1 interview. Standard insurance sales job I gather. From what I can tell the retention rate in this industry is very low; 11%? so the recruiters are very aggressive.
    The pay is $300.00 a week
    Financial advisors pay for out of pocket expenses etc.
    Too much like a pyramid scheme for me

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2011.

The interview went well and the interviewer was very good at making me feel comfortable and then emailed me almost immediately after saying it went really well. Then you have to take a personality/compatibility test and after which I apparently didn't respond to well. I think that that can be a decent method of evaluation but if the in-person parts go well then the electronic evaluations should not be the only factor that can eliminate you, especially since there are 4 rounds of interviews for them to figure you out.

Interview Questions
    • What are your personal goals for the next few years? (not professional, but your personal life)
      I just found this difficult to answer and wasn't sure what kind of answer they were expecting or looking for.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Latham, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2009.

After passing the initial phone interview I was asked to take part in a series of 1:1 interviews at the Northwestern Mutual offices. The interviews were essentially a long-winded series of descriptions about how much money one can earn selling insurance, followed by an intense review of what friends and family you can immediately tap as potential customers.

After the initial interview with the office manager and the "practice" manager you are then passed off to other senior sales people who further extoll the amount of wealth you can accumulate selling insurance.

Interview Questions
    • Can you list 10 family members or close friends who would be likely to purchase insurance products from you in the next 60 days.   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to stick to our long-standing sales strategy?   Answer Question

I had no interest in selling my friends and family insurance products they neither wanted nor needed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2009.

First you submit a resume, they then call you describing your position. Then you have a one on one interview with HR associate. After the first interview you are given a personality test to take online. If you pass the test you are called back for a second interview in which you are given forms to be filled out by your "network" (potential clients) at which point I declined the position as I didn't want to harrass family and friends.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

The office was very friendly. First interview was with a recruiter, second interview with the head of the branch. Second interview was basically a 2 hour "In-depth fact finding" interview. They wanted to know everything from what my day-to-day schedule was to how much personal assets and liabilities I had to my name. Felt like I was getting ready to pay them in order to work there. They did inform me that they would help pay for my licensing and such and I had no obligation to stay with or reimburse the company if I decided to leave (probably because of a high washout rate).

Interview Questions
    • How many contacts do you think you need to have in order to be successful here?   View Answer

Got a bad vibe about the pay scale. I was going to be put through an internship after graduating from college and get paid $200 a week over the summer months. Compensation was entirely commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2009.

The office was very fancy, clean and people were professionally dressed. I met with the HR Recruiter. She was very friendly and made the interview more comfortable. The interview didn't last very long. She asked basic questions about work history, extracurricular activities, affiliations etc. Then asked about credit information. If I had filed bankruptcy. I was laid off last year and I had to file bankruptcy. So, at that point the interview was over. She later emailed me and told me I would have to wait a few years and re-apply with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Englewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Englewood, CO

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2009.

They basically give you a sales pitch for one entire hour. You realize that you will make virturally no money for one to two years and your entire paycheck is based on commissions. So they try hard to get you to work for nothing. Though there is potential, there is a lot of competition.

Interview Questions
    • What is a difficult obstacle that you overcame in your previous job experience?   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to make close to nothing while you learn the ropes?   Answer Question

I need to eat

Financial Advisor Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2008.

Posted resume on careerbuilders, got a call without even applying. Went to the office, had a good interview with a manager that really built me up, telling me I'd be perfect for the position, and that I had just the right personality and background to succeed at the position. Then he gave me an assignment to survey friends and family on their interest in life insurance and include names, numbers and addresses. He said we'd go over the assignment on the next interview. Never went on the second interview because I was contacted by the same office a week later to set up a first interview; they had completely forgot I had already done a first interview, which made me believe they were hiring anyone and everyone.

Interview Questions

They called me two weeks after my interview to schedule a first interview not remembering that I already had been interviewed there. Made me believe like many firms in the industry they hire everyone and let them bring in family/friends business, let them get discourage and quit while the company keeps the accounts.