Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.3

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

1 phone call interview with a project prompt at the end

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Two to three separate interviews. The hiring managers really take the time to get to know you and are very picky with who they bring into the company.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions are straight forward. Looking for hard working and highly motivated individuals.   Answer Question

I declined because it was a majority commission based position. This compensation is not for me.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Houston, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

They call you for a brief company informational interview and they'll ask you somethings about you on your resume. You'll pretty much get the second round if you get the first call. They people are nice and very enthusiastic. Second round is Skype/phone call and it's more in depth and they'll ask several behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• How are you going to expand our company by using your own network?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

The interview is a list of basic questions that tests your personality and ability to interact with strangers. You will also be required to take and pass the state health and life insurance license. Your employment is contingent on you passing those tests. They will pay for one try.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

The initial interview was the most laid back, easy interview I have ever been on! The recruiter was sweet and thought I had great potential. I scored very high on the "exams" to get me on to the next round and am currently awaiting for my second interview in a few days!!"

Interview Questions

• What is your family like? It's definitely not a question I've ever been asked on other interviews...but she seemed to like the way I answered the question and had a similar upbringing to mine so it gave us something to talk about.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Chicago, IL) in December 2012.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward. They ask a lot of behavioral based interview question to asses what type of personality and to ensure you're the type of person fitting for this job. They also have you take two online questionnaires which are essentially personality tests.

Interview Questions

• Three words that you would say do NOT describe you (I hate these types of questions).   Answer Question

I received another offer that I was very excited about.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Irvine, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

This position requires you to sell insurance to people. The method they want you to use is "networking through people you already know." The first step in the hiring process was an
    "info session," which I went to. I did not pursue the internship after that. This position is a sales job more than anything else. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not for me. I wish they were more forthcoming about what the internship entails because I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Iowa City, IA) in October 2012.

Interview

Really quick interview process, got and set up an interview before they had really looked at my resume or my career wants. Showed up early and professionally dressed, did my homework about them ahead of time. The interviewer showed up 10 late, still chatting with friends from lunch.

Interview Questions

• Basic what are you strengths/weaknesses - I guess interview was bored of it too because she could not stop rolling her eyes. Talk about be distracted I couldn't concentrate with her obnxious attitude.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Chicago, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who came across my resume at a jobs board. I then did my research on the company and found mixed reviews. I then was scheduled for a ohine interview that lasted for about 30 minutes. It was conducted by the recruiter and i was asked to just talk about myself and my personality. Recruiter expressed interest in further advancing the interview process and scheduled a 1:1 interview at a Chicago office location with their top performer. I decided to give it a chance to see if it was a fit for me. The interview was very brief only was asked at most 8 questions and primarily entailed information on what the program was like. I was then asked to come back and sit with a mentor during a client meeting and scheduling for licensing was being scheduled. They also asked me to do 25 surveys and also list 25 contacts that I thought would be interested in their services. I thought it was a sleazy move to try to get business during an interview and really soured any potential interest with the company. It's really just sales job with no leads provided and 100% commission in other words you really are no risk to them if you make them money you make money if you don't then guess what?? you might have possibly soured your relationships with those on your address book trying to sell them overpriced insurance products while at the same time just wasting gas and most importantly your TIME. Jobs like these will promise you the world and focus in on presenting you others' rare success stories but never tell you about failure rate. Really didn't look like a top 15 internship to me.

Interview Questions

• What was your childhood like?   1 Answer

Because of lack of steady income this was not the ideal opportunity for me.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Austin, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

I met with other employees at the company to learn about the process when starting with the company, I had to have 200 contacts in my city before I started. This made me realize that the insurance industry wasn't how I wanted to start my Financial Planning career. I liked the Director of Recruitment, she was very positive and encouraging but couldn't change my mind.