Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Intern Interview Questions

2.5

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Representative Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Phone communication to set up interviews. After being told I would get a third and final interview, they stopped contacting me, and then after I contacted them about it said they would reach back to me. They did not.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

After a recruiting meeting at the university I had a 1 on 1 phone interview. Very short and simple, more of a screening phase. Then came the market research survey where you were to interview those in your personal market about their past experiences with financial services companies and the importance of products sold by such companies. They want to make sure that you have either a large network to contact and sell to, including friends or family, and/or that you will be able to grow and expand your own market.

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to name 100 people that could make up a potential market? Market study survey where you were to interview as many people as possible about their personal financial services experiences.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Financial Representative Intern Interview

The interviewing process included four steps. The first interview was a typical interview that asked basic questions getting to know me. The second interview was fairly odd. I was told I had to interview my interviewer. Before scheduling my next interview, I was told I would have to have ten surveys (half that I knew/half that were strangers) completed that asked for fairly personal financial information. I did not go back.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked if I knew anyone else that would I thought would be a good candidate for the job, and then immediately offered them an interview that day.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

I applied through my college career portal, and received a phone call approximately 3 days later. The first phone call was considered an interview, which consisted of pleasantries and some base information about the company. From there I was invited to a 2nd interview (group interview) which consisted of other prospective interns. The 2nd interview was less about engaging with the interns, and further education on what Northwestern is and what it expects from interns. Shortly after the group interview I was invited back for a 3rd interview, and was e-mailed a personality test. The 3rd interview was all about the intern, and finding out from the recruiter if you fit in with the company. I was also assigned a project; or a "Market Survey." The point of this is to gauge how others feel about you as a financial representative, and finding out how comfortable you are at asking friends/family for referrals. At the 4th interview I met with the intern captain, and that person had the final say on bringing me aboard. From this point you start the official job application, and begin studying for the life insurance state exam. The cons: This is a commission based job, and as such it will require you to roll up your sleeves and work hard. The Pros: You can get many licenses while in college, and your hard work is rewarded. If you think this job is for you then please examine your business attire, the other students came in looking sloppy. Perception is reality and first impressions set the tone.

Interview Questions
    • The whole interview process was very informal, so just brush up on common interview questions.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Process took about a month. Quick to call back. This is a sales job, but with a well respected, serious company, so know what ou are getting into. Worked with two different hiring managers who were both very pleasant and professional. Overall very positive experience for a sales oriented career in insurance and finance.

Interview Questions
    • They gave me two weeks to get in touch with 9 people and collect 45 references.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Consists of 3 interviews. First is very basic and just behavioral questions. I will be going for my second one soon. Left first interview with homework assignment of finding a list of 60 contacts (mainly friends and family). Although calling friends and family does not seem fun, some family friends actually do need insurance and will be willing to obtain it through you. I find this as a stepping stone to other big internships.

Interview Questions
    • Conversation flowed smoothly and did not seem stressful at all.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Very long process that involved not one, but five separate interviews. Hard to schedule around. Generally the interviews were easy, but required an extensive preparation process as you needed to fill out a "recruitment questionnaire" to discover your lead generation prospects.

Interview Questions
    • Generally straight forward...no technical questions. Mostly lead referral questions.   Answer Question

Poor ethics for the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Three Rounds, three 1-on-1 interviews. All last about an hour each. Quick and painless. Recruiters are nice and evaluate your qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest struggle that you've faced in life and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Phone interview, then a skype interview. Asked to write down 100 people I know. Aked what I know about the industry.

none

Financial Representative Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Applied online through school's careerlink. Received a call a couple days later asking to come into office for one on one interview. After the HR rep found out I wanted to work closer to home she referred me back to the offices closer to the city where I live. Went into the offices there and they offered me the position right after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were pretty basic and simple such as, where do you see yourself in 10 years?   Answer Question