Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Intern Interview Questions

2.5

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

Interview

I applied for the position through my career center website. I followed up to make sure the Recruiting Director received my resume. Within a week, I was called back to come in and interview. The financial representative spoke about Northwestern Mutual and how my position will fit in the company, asked me behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what resilience means? Expain one time you were resilient.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Canton, OH) in November 2010.

Interview

The first interview was with a recruiter who asked as many questions to get to know me better than the challenging ones most people think of when an interview comes to mind. The second interview was offered and I had to complete a personality assessment prior to the second interview. The second interview was an early morning session with the College Unit Director, a financial rep in charge of the office's intern program. Each applicant had to bring a life goals sheet as well as 10 questions to ask the CUD. The only requirement or test of the second interview is to show up on time. After that the applicants interview the CUD and are encouraged to ask any and all questions they have. After the second interview a networking project is assigned and a two week deadline is given. Upon completion the applicant sets up the third and final interview with the CUD. At the final interview the networking project is reviewed to make sure it was done properly and professionally and the applicants personality test is reviewed. My personality test suggested I could be suitable for the position and my networking project was also successfully vetted. I was offered the position 3/4s of the way through the interview and the other quarter was spent discussing expectations and future schedules.

Interview Questions

• Define courage.   Answer Question
    • Tell me how you will overcome this characteristic that has been attributed to you by the personality assessment and is seen as an indicator of negative job performance for this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2009.

Interview

The interview process was conducted through my university and I had an interview first with the coordinator of the program answering basic questions about me, my resume and experience. The next interview was in the office and I interviewed with two financial advisors including the branch manager where they pretty much went over the guidelines to receive an offer

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you gave or offered service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (White Plains, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

Applied through my University. Interview was laid back and consisted of behavioral questions. This position is basically an insurance salesman with stipend + commission based pay.

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2009.

Interview

It was your general financial sales interview. First they pump you up about the company, show you how much money you can make. then they make it sound easy and possible to everyone. Then once they had me sucked in they put me through a personallity test, as well as a sales experince test. I passed both and was called in for a final interview. She asked all the typical questions, strength, weakness, where do you see your self in ten years. I thought it went well and I received an offer three days later. After completeing the internship I see Northwestern as it is, a pump and dump churn and burn operation. No salary only commission and worst of all after you work there fro a year you have to start paying lo lease your office space. they use you for your 100 contacts and anyone you do sell to will get follow up calles from your "co-workers" for the rest of their life. Overall bad experince and don't fall for it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

I had three interviews at Northwestern Mutual... they weren't the most formal interview I've ever had because mainly what they are looking for is a confident individual who acts professionally and is self-motivated.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part was how open their questions were and how casual it was. They want you to be comfortable leading a conversation because you meet with clients regularly   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Newport Beach, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

The hiring process was very straight forward, after submitting an online application I was notified of my application having been received. I was contacted within a week through e-mail by a college recruiter who asked some general questions. Following the string of e-mails I was asked for a phone interview where my morals and ethics were the focus, the recruited asking the questions was engaging and inquisitive regarding every aspect of my answers. The final step of the interview was a presentation to the college recruited on a market analysis of potential clients for financial services.

Interview Questions

• I was asked for a specific instance of anyone I knew who had an experience with a financial representative and how it went.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was an intern, there was no negotiation. Strictly commission based with a weekly stipend upon receiving state license number.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Sacramento, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

Three Rounds, three 1-on-1 interviews. All last about an hour each. Quick and painless. Recruiters are nice and evaluate your qualifications.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest struggle that you've faced in life and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

Interview

First interview is all questions about you, your past, your family, your values, your resume, and then they give you information on the company. Second interview is more specific questions about how you think you could be succussful in this business, how would you build your own clientele, how hard will you work, and then they give you an assignment to go meet people and see how they think you could fit into the financial services industry. The third interview they grill you again on how your market is, if you would be willing to work hard enough, and then they try to sell you on the company and the core products ie (Life Insurance).

Interview Questions

• You are young, how are you going to get people who are sometimes twice your age or more to respect you professionally?   1 Answer
    • Why should I give you, a sophomore, an intership over a candidate who is a senior in college and has a much better market than you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Can negotiate your schedule to fit into school year and other organizations or activities.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New Orleans, LA) in January 2009.

Interview

Applied online, received a call back a few days later. First interview was with a recruiter and was pretty basic and explained what the position was and how the company is structured. First interview was followed by a take home personality test consisting of ~200 questions to see if your personality matches what they are looking for in their representatives. Second interview was with the Internship coordinator who was also a full time representative. He reviewed the results of the personality test and explained more about how the job works.

Interview Questions

• What were some of the goals you set for yourself, did you accomplish them, and if so, how?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Job was offered and I quickly accepted. Before accepting an offer for this position know that it is strictly and insurance sales position for which many people are not suited.