Northwestern Mutual

2.5

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albany, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Consists of 3 interviews. First is very basic and just behavioral questions. I will be going for my second one soon. Left first interview with homework assignment of finding a list of 60 contacts (mainly friends and family). Although calling friends and family does not seem fun, some family friends actually do need insurance and will be willing to obtain it through you. I find this as a stepping stone to other big internships.

Interview Questions
  • Conversation flowed smoothly and did not seem stressful at all.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2013.

The first interview was very standard. What are your strengths/weaknesses? When have you had to overcome adversity? Pretty straight forward questions. My interviewer was very friendly and relaxed. She was mainly interested in my ability to articulate thoughts clearly and demonstrate some level of personal determination. She gave me an "assignment" where I had to contact a number of people and interview them on their experiences with financial services. After that, I had a second interview which was pretty much designed to iron out the details. All in all, it was a pretty straight forward process. The people were nice and helpful. Nothing to stressful.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly unexpected or unusual. I think my interviewer may have asked me what kind of animal I would be, but that was mainly to see if I could think spontaneously. There was no right or wrong answer.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Phone interview, then a skype interview. Asked to write down 100 people I know. Aked what I know about the industry.

none

Financial Representative Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Applied online through school's careerlink. Received a call a couple days later asking to come into office for one on one interview. After the HR rep found out I wanted to work closer to home she referred me back to the offices closer to the city where I live. Went into the offices there and they offered me the position right after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were pretty basic and simple such as, where do you see yourself in 10 years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2009.

Was referred by a family friend and was contacted by NMFN to schedule an interview. First round basically personality questions with a recruiter to see if you have the right personality. Second round is with a current Financial Representative. Pretty much the same type of interview. After that you're given "homework." Have to go out and contact 5 people and talk to them about their profession and have them recommend 5 more people for you to get in touch with. This is to see if you can get referrals as part of the business model. Final round interview is going over homework and more personality/fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest thing was making sure you actually got names and numbers from the people you interviewed for homework. If they say I'll get back to you and you tell the interviewers that it looks like you don't have the initiative to close the deal. No brainteasers or anything. All about personality and fit.   Answer Question
    No negotiation as an intern.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2013.

Was asked to come to one of their regional branches in order for an information session. Not much was given about the actual internship so I went. Ended up being in a conference room for about an hour listening to what life insurance actually is and how they develop you into a salesman. At the end, you were brought into a room for an individual interview for roughly five minutes. They asked basic behavioral questions and then informed me that I would be contacted about the next interview (they said this was the first of three). I was given homework to complete which included a brief PowerPoint about the virtues of the company and why I would succeed. I left fairly disappointed because the entire premise of their sales internship was this: you would come up with a list of names of people who would be interested in life insurance. This basically came to a huge list of names of your closest friends and family. They said that this core group would be your first list of possible clients and that you would ask each one of them for referrals. So you were to try to sell life insurance to your closest friends and relatives and then badger them again for more clients. I understand they say this is a Top-Ten internship, but both my friend and I who applied together were not buying it.

Interview Questions
    • There were not many questions, everything was very straightforward.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2012.

There are about three interviews with three different people that span over a month. The first interview is pretty laid back. The second interview is more intense. You will have to take a Harrison Assessment test before the third interview that tests how likely the job is a good fit for you. Once you pass all three interviews you take a test to get an insurance license. Then after training and a couple other things, you are all set.

Interview Questions
    • What is the greatest mistake you've ever made.   View Answer

Financial Representative Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I had three interviews at Northwestern Mutual... they weren't the most formal interview I've ever had because mainly what they are looking for is a confident individual who acts professionally and is self-motivated.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was how open their questions were and how casual it was. They want you to be comfortable leading a conversation because you meet with clients regularly   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2012.

met a recruiter, applied online. Was contacted that week for an initial interview. Was required to fill out 10 market surveys from people in my network and gave a 5 minute presentation on why I was good for the job.

I haven't decided yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Troy, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Submitted my resume and received a phone call to schedule an in person interview within the week. Set up an in person interview for the following week, went in for the interview, went well, haven't heard back from NWM yet.