Northwestern Mutual

2.5

41 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2011.

Met with a younger woman for an initial on campus 1 on 1 interview. Very nice woman, and overall a fairly basic and easy interview.
Received a second interview in Little Rock with a Financial Rep, and more of the same from the first interview.

Interview Questions

Chose to decline, because they are other things I would rather be doing that are better tailored for my major. Mainly used the interview for the experience and a launching pad to start my job search during my final year in school.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2011.

I responded to the intern posting off of my schools career services webpage and they responded back within the next few days. I had to hand out 10 surveys (easy) then put on a presentation in front of the branch manager. The interview wasn't hard. They were really straight forward with mostly behavioral type questions (tell me about yourself, etc.)

Interview Questions
    • Why would this internship be of value of you, and why is it important?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2011.

NMFN knows how to sell a job. They have it down to a science on how to sucker young college kids into taking this job. When I met the young lady at the career fair, she made it sound like the greatest thing anyone could do. After reading some reviews on glassdoor, I was able to see the correlations and specs about the job that in reality were terrible, but sugarcoated to the point an Ethiopian couldn't handle the donut.

I'm going to try to get a job here, just to see if I like it, plus it will give me a good foundation for my career as a financial advisor (I hope). I just want to know what happens when the singularity arrives and we can live forever. What will happen to life insurance then?

Interview Questions
    • What was your most interesting class   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • What are your weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • More personality testing questions. The do analysis while interviewing. But in the end I dont think they care. No mention of having to pay for office space, etc. $100/ week stipend is exaggerated as the greatest thing ever.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2011.

First interview is with an HR rep. Second is with a Financial Rep who gives you a market survey to fill out. 3rd interview is the offer

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had two solutions to a problem and your thought process as to which one you chose?   View Answer

Better opportunities

Financial Representative - Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2011.

Went through 3 interviews, though some other interns went through as many as six. First I met with the recruiter and she asked me about myself, my history etc. Then she gave me homework. I had to find and interview 6 people about their financial situation and perception of financial representatives.

The second interview, I met with the recruiter again and this time she gave me 5 names of previous interns along with their numbers. I had to call and ask them 10 questions about the internship.

The third interview was with the Managing Director of the main office and he offered me the job

Interview Questions
    • How would your best friend describe you in 3 words? Your mom? Previous supervisor?

They wanted 3 different words for each person

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2011.

After them visiting a student organization I decided to contact them. They then set up a phone interview, from there I met in the office. Key points, sound very forward looking, caring, optimistic, and be likable. It is a sales job and you must have a good image to promote their image.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself 3, 5, and 10 years down the road financial, professionally, and personally?   Answer Question

Decided it wasn't for me, I chose not to continue the internship through the school year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clayton, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clayton, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2011.

Lengthy interview process. I had three interviews and I still wasn't offered the position until I called/e-mailed them several times. After working for the company as an intern, I am convinced they do this to everyone they interview and they hire almost everyone they interview.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time in your life when you had to deal with a disgruntled customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2010.

The first interview was with a recruiter who asked as many questions to get to know me better than the challenging ones most people think of when an interview comes to mind. The second interview was offered and I had to complete a personality assessment prior to the second interview. The second interview was an early morning session with the College Unit Director, a financial rep in charge of the office's intern program. Each applicant had to bring a life goals sheet as well as 10 questions to ask the CUD. The only requirement or test of the second interview is to show up on time. After that the applicants interview the CUD and are encouraged to ask any and all questions they have. After the second interview a networking project is assigned and a two week deadline is given. Upon completion the applicant sets up the third and final interview with the CUD. At the final interview the networking project is reviewed to make sure it was done properly and professionally and the applicants personality test is reviewed. My personality test suggested I could be suitable for the position and my networking project was also successfully vetted. I was offered the position 3/4s of the way through the interview and the other quarter was spent discussing expectations and future schedules.

Interview Questions
    • Define courage.   Answer Question
    • Tell me how you will overcome this characteristic that has been attributed to you by the personality assessment and is seen as an indicator of negative job performance for this position.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2010.

I interviewed on campus initially. The interviewer was very nice and only asked behavioral questions. Next I was invited to their Office in Mclean where I interviewed with one person (who later was my Mentor) who also asked me behavioral questions. The last part was a presentation round which basically asked me to give a pitch on why I should be hired. The presentation was made to an audience of about five members.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2010.

Applied through my University. Interview was laid back and consisted of behavioral questions. This position is basically an insurance salesman with stipend + commission based pay.