Northwestern Mutual

www.northwesternmutual.com

Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Intern Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Average Difficulty
41 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New Orleans, LA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a call back a few days later. First interview was with a recruiter and was pretty basic and explained what the position was and how the company is structured. First interview was followed by a take home personality test consisting of ~200 questions to see if your personality matches what they are looking for in their representatives. Second interview was with the Internship coordinator who was also a full time representative. He reviewed the results of the personality test and explained more about how the job works.

Interview Question – What were some of the goals you set for yourself, did you accomplish them, and if so, how?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Job was offered and I quickly accepted. Before accepting an offer for this position know that it is strictly and insurance sales position for which many people are not suited.

White Plains, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2010.

Interview Details – Applied through my University. Interview was laid back and consisted of behavioral questions. This position is basically an insurance salesman with stipend + commission based pay.

Financial Representative Intern

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2012.

Interview Details – I met with a recruiter at a job fair, they were really friendly. I had an interview at their office, where we talk about the position. As I was being taken to meet with a recruiter I observed the office space. The work culture seems really friendly and comfortable. The interview process was really comfortable. I was not a nervous wreck. I was able to ask and answer questions without any pressure. It was as if I was having a friendly conversation over coffee with the interviewer. This shows that they really look for people they really can connect and communicate with on a personal and professional level because this position really takes a lot of communication skills with coworkers and clients. Overall, I believe that this was a good interview experience.

Interview Question – If I was an international student. They ask this because they don't hire international students.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Representative Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2010.

Interview Details – I really started the interview process at college career fair by handing my resume to the recruiting team. After a review of my resume I was called and given an informal phone interview, then invited to a 1:1 interview with the recruiter I had met at the fair.

The first interview constituted of general questions of what I wanted out of employment and where I saw myself in 5 years. Then I was given an assignment to interview five of my family friends and ask them who they know who could help me if I choose this career. This was really the start of my network building.

The second interview was with the training officer who reviewed my first assignment. This interview consisted of more in-depth questions about past work experience and more about how you planned on being successful. After this interview I was to compile a lengthy list of family and friends. The list was to be a certain length, the number I don't recall but it was a lot, before I would be offered a position. This they said was two fold, one to be sure that you were ok with asking uncomfortable questions to family and friends such as, "will you do business with me" and two to make sure you had a market in which to start in. I had to turn my list over to management which made me weary, though I was told that the list was mine and mine alone, to this day I trust that they kept their word.

After completing the assignments and being offered the position a moderately in-depth background check was done. This is necessary as both NM and FINRA must approve of your employment. Lastly, before being contracted, you must attend and complete insurance licensing classes and obtain your insurance license.

The entire process can be as short or as long as you make it. All together from first contact with the company at the job fair to signed contract my process took about 4 months. However, the actual interview process from time of first contact to job offer was really only about 2 or 3 weeks.

Interview Question – Give one of your weaknesses and how you compensate for it.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2012.

Interview Details – Spoke to a representative during an internship fair, received a call requesting to set up an interview.
Very comfortable setting, job requires outgoing personality and ability to get clients and network

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, you take what they offer.

Financial Representative Intern

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2011.

Interview Details – Typical Behavioral Questions: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Interview Questions

• Whats makes you a good candidate?   View Answer
  • How do you feel about being compensated mostly by commission?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Financial Representative Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2009.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of 2 one on one meetings. The first meeting was pretty much a sales pitch about why Northwestern's internship is a great choice. They also ask you a little bit about yourself and why you are attracted to the internship. At the end of the first interview they tell you to go home and make a spreadsheet containing the names, addresses, and phone numbers of people you could call to be potential clients. The second interview is a behavioral interview and they go over your spreadsheet.

Interview Question – Make a list of 200 potential clients   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

Interview Details – First interview is all questions about you, your past, your family, your values, your resume, and then they give you information on the company. Second interview is more specific questions about how you think you could be succussful in this business, how would you build your own clientele, how hard will you work, and then they give you an assignment to go meet people and see how they think you could fit into the financial services industry. The third interview they grill you again on how your market is, if you would be willing to work hard enough, and then they try to sell you on the company and the core products ie (Life Insurance).

Interview Questions

• You are young, how are you going to get people who are sometimes twice your age or more to respect you professionally?   View Answer
  • Why should I give you, a sophomore, an intership over a candidate who is a senior in college and has a much better market than you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Can negotiate your schedule to fit into school year and other organizations or activities.

Financial Representative Intern

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through my career center website. I followed up to make sure the Recruiting Director received my resume. Within a week, I was called back to come in and interview. The financial representative spoke about Northwestern Mutual and how my position will fit in the company, asked me behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Do you know what resilience means? Expain one time you were resilient.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2009.

Interview Details – It was your general financial sales interview. First they pump you up about the company, show you how much money you can make. then they make it sound easy and possible to everyone. Then once they had me sucked in they put me through a personallity test, as well as a sales experince test. I passed both and was called in for a final interview. She asked all the typical questions, strength, weakness, where do you see your self in ten years. I thought it went well and I received an offer three days later. After completeing the internship I see Northwestern as it is, a pump and dump churn and burn operation. No salary only commission and worst of all after you work there fro a year you have to start paying lo lease your office space. they use you for your 100 contacts and anyone you do sell to will get follow up calles from your "co-workers" for the rest of their life. Overall bad experince and don't fall for it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – None