Northwestern Mutual

www.northwesternmutual.com

Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Internship Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated May 1, 2014

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Interview was a basic behavioral screening. Overall positive experience, decided against internship because of personal reasons.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions; only basic behavioral questions   Answer Question

Financial Representative Internship

I applied online and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty laid back. Basic interview questions like explain strengths and weaknesses. Also explain a time where you had to be a leader. And the mostly just going through the packet and learning about the company. It was a pretty easy interview to say the least?

Interview Question – What do you know about the investment side of Northwestern Mutual?   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring process was delightful, great interviews, recruiter was friendly outgoing and very down to earth, however they do not exactly paint a clear picture of the type of work that you will be doing. I discovered what it entailed through research online and friends. I acknowledged and questioned what I had heard and they continued to insist that there were no cold calls, however the requirements were VERY similar to a pyramid scheme in MY opinion. First was a one on one interview, second was a group interview with 5 other students from my school, we were all granted to go on to the third step. At this point we were given assignments to provide a huge spiderweb chart of all of our friends, family, associates, colleagues, coworkers, cousins, strangers etc. anyone you knew (basically the beginning step to building your client list). As I do respect that some people do like this type of work, I felt as though their depiction was less than professional considering its lack of accuracy as they insisted that meetings were casual, and almost portrayed as if they would provide a start up client list. You start from scratch, as any wonderful opportunity with a limitless ceiling for income, you have to start everything from scratch. Company is VERY reputable, overall great interview experience, it is their job to make everything sound appealing however be sure to do your research. Because my personality is not quite the type to be satisfied with cold calling and hounding my friends and family to buy life insurance, I did not accept the position. I do have friends that are very successful in the company it depends on whether or not this is your type of work.

Interview Question – What type of people do you know that would be of benefit to NWM? (unexpected question)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not my type of work

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Was referred to by a current intern in their program and was contacted immediately by the HR manager from Northwestern Mutual. They bring you in to give a half hour presentation of what their plan is for intern and then bring you in for a 5-10 minute individual interview.

Interview Question – They asked you to contact your friends and relatives about selling them insurance.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Representative Internship

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Started with a tour of the office and then moved into the HR manages office. I had my series 7 so they were very eager to hire me. Still had to do the 10 surveys and the presentation but was offered the job. Job is all sales they try and make it glamorous, but they make you call your friends and family to sell them life insurance. I did very little with investments although I was the only intern with their investments licenses. I you want to be a life insurance sales man then it’s the job for you.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation only get paid on commission and $100 a week if you go to the meeting where they put you through sales drills. There is a mandatory unpaid 1 week sales school for 9 hours a day.

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2012.

Interview Details – The application process consisted of four rounds. The first round was an information session that you attended with twenty or so other hopefuls. The next three rounds are just your basic interviews that you hold with different directors. You also have two assignments to complete as well between rounds.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in the financial services industry?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

"Financial Representative" Internship Interview

"Financial Representative" Internship
Minneapolis, MN

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2011.

Interview Details – They were very professional and scheduling went smoothly without any troubles. They will put you through an interview, ask you to complete an "assessment," followed by two more rounds of interviewing. It is a lot of work for a company that hires many, many interns.

As for the interview itself, it was very easy. Be prepared to talk about your resume in depth. The interviewers were very friendly people and made you feel very comfortable...

*UNFORTUNATELY*
As mentioned in other reviews, you will NOT be a true financial representative! You will be a life insurance salesperson. They will certainly tell you ANYTHING it takes to make you have a favorable impression. For example, I told them that I was interested in finance and financial planning. They nodded their heads and told me that's what I would be doing. As the interview went on, they slowly revealed that the internship would be geared quite highly towards life insurance.

I did appreciate that they were upfront about the fact that they do NOT cold call. However, they glazed over their reliance of their salespeople sucking in their "social network" (i.e. family and friends). They also inform you that it will not be a traditional 9 to 5 job. Hours are determined by how much or little you want to work. but also, you are paid by commission. I have no idea what "mentors" will expect out of you. (for more information, go to youtube and look up: "A Day In The Life: Recent College Graduate @ Northwestern Mutual")

*I admit, I was quite disturbed at their lies and deceptions and tricks that start literally in the job title.

To Ace The Interview:
1) they seem to love friendly, personable people
2) be able to talk about your resume (they will ask you easy lead in questions)
3) **Show that you have a strong social network/networking skills. (ex; I put together an intramural dodge ball team through networking)

REMEMBER: you will be a life insurance salesperson!

Interview Questions

Financial Representative Internship

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2011.

Interview Details – Talked to recruiter on the phone and set up interview. Recruiter had a very informal meeting and asked a lot of questions in attempt to understand more about me. Emphasized that they believed that if the person had the right qualities they could turn them into a successful financial representative. Recruiter was pleasant and very friendly and the interview was informative. A $1000-$2000 stipend plus commission makes up the pay, but part of the stipend is based on your success. Unfortunately, the first recruiter did not fill me in that the second $1000 was based on if I closed a certain amount of business (5-10 "lives").

Interview Question – Name one time or event where you failed?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I do not see myself as the sales type, I would prefer to offer my product to someone who comes to me. I would not enjoy hunting down clients and especially would not like hounding my friends and family so I could create my business. It was a great opportunity, but basically the job was being a life insurance salesman.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!