Northwestern Mutual

Getting the Interview

241 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – First met with the Recuiting Manager. Then Took a few easy online assessments. After that was interviewed by managing director. THen asked to complete 15 person market research to see if im still interested in the job

Reason for Declining – Main focus I felt was just selling to friends and family

Wall, NJ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details – Originally called in for a one-on-one interview with a recruiter from the company. Had an interview with the recruiter and was offered a second interview two weeks later. I was given an assignment to complete to bring back with me for the second interview. Met with the college director for my second interview and the managing director. I was offered a position after my second interview.

Interview Question – The assignment that I was given from my first interview was to call 5 people that I know and to tell them that I am interested in possibly entering the financial services industry and tell them a little about what the job entails. After, I was told to try and obtain 10 referrals from each of those 5 people I had originally contacted.   Answer Question

Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2010.

Interview Details – Very thorough, they want to know everything. But, in the end, they just seemed to want to hire everyone willing to work.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – First of four interviews completed, the first interview seemed to be more of a "how you will fit into the office" rather than trying to find qualifications. I have my second interview today (seemingly very easy to get to the second interview), which looks to be the biggest one of he process, as it is with the Managing Director, as opposed to the first one which was with the recruiter.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Met the HR rep at a job fair who set me up with an interview. I work in financial services and had never heard of this company before, but what the heck. I have to say this was the weirdest interview I have ever had. The interviewer directed her questions more to my family and personal life than my professional experience - and aggressively so. She suggested that a good place to start a book of business would be to approach my family and friends. Creepy. At least I got a good sense of the high turnover at this company - and I did not even have to ask the question directly. Having worked in an administrative position for a prominent stockbroker years ago, I simply asked how Northwestern assigned walk in clients fairly to its brokers. The answer told me everything I needed to know. They bus the calls to a call center (apparently there are never any walk-in clients) because, and I quote, "We have no idea of how long our new reps will be here."

Interview Question – Recruiter repeatedly asked personal questions about my family and even wanted to know how my son died.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Referred by a friend, he introduced me to a bunch of financial reps and they told me to come to their office for an interview. Sales part of the internship was great, but I didn't like targeting friends and families to sell insurance to them. I felt like they were using me to sell insurance

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Resume submission followed by an online work preference survey, which asks candidates to rank personality descriptions from "that's me" to "not at all". Qualified candidate will be invited for a onsite interview at one of the groups that is hiring. Interview mostly includes basic questions with relatively fewer technical questions.

Interview Question – What will you bring to the company.   View Answer

Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter and agreed to come in for interview. Asked series of scripted questions, but many were standard questions asked in most interviews. Was also asked questions about family, network, etc. for obvious reasons. What threw me off was getting asked for 5 people whp may also be interested in the position as well with names and numbers.

Interview Question – Being asked about my family and their backgrounds.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Comission based

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Go to information session, set up first round interview with recruiter, then interview with actual Financial Representative.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions. They are very concerned with your network of where you will be working.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – commission based

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details – First Phone Screening went great and called in for an in person interview the next day. Very pleasant and enthusiastic interviewer. Made me feel very comfortable

Interview Question – Name one of your challenges working in a group in the past   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative interview questions and advice. All 241 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.