Northwestern Mutual

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Getting the Interview

241 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Financial Representative

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2009.

Interview Details – Overall the experience has been very positive. I really like the attention they pay to detail and the fact that they have a systm in place to help the agents early on. A lot of other companies claim that they have systems but truthfully they seem to want you to create one for yourself.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your production last year.   View Answer
  • Why would you be interested in leaving your current employer to come to NM?   View Answer

Buffalo, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2013.

Interview Details – Two person interview... quite tough.

Interview Question – What does this company need to have in order for you to feel successful here.... Dont answer good salaries.   Answer Question

Cincinnati, OH

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2012.

Interview Details – The position had the basic interview questions but one thing you need to know is that they will try to get potential clients out of you before you even get hired. So its a win win for them, they will see if you can get 15 people to sit down with you before you even hired so if you don't then they still get that list.

Interview Question – What makes you fit for this job.   Answer Question

Winter Park, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed, she asked me the usual questions, I answered them. Before the interview I was required to complete some kind of personality test that was supposed to discussed during the interview but we didn't.

There was no project 100. She did told me the position was fully commission based but that there were "some kind" of rewards for the first 6 months. Now, she didn't really made it clear what those kind of rewards were but it seemed to me that they were just business expenses.

Then was schedule for a Career Profile which told them: "This candidate is highly likely to quit before the first year of employment" so I wasn't hired.

Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – They called me in for four interviews and I also had to complete two online assessments and complete a packet of "homework." All of the interviewers were genial and asked basic questions. They expect you to be willing to ask friends and family for business if they hire you.

Interview Question – What is your greatest achievement?   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2011.

Interview Details – Very professional, fast paced, they know what they are looking for in a candidate. They know about this website and ..."cringe because when we read what people write it is dead on." They will ask very personal questions such as ages of your family members and your financial situation including a request to provide your savings and asset history.

Interview Questions

• Asked by recruiter: What are the ages of your children?   View Answer
  • Asked by me: What is a 1099 employee?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I was told I would be a 1099 subcontractor. I am not seeking 1099 status. It is hard to be objective and think of a client's best needs when your needs are contingent upon commission.

Financial Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2011.

Interview Details – Northwestern is a great comany with a very extensive interview process. Everyone that I worked with a met gave me opportunities to prove myself and my skills. The recruiter that worked with me was excellent at their job and represents the company well. I have never had better interview practice and experience as I did with them. I went through four seperate interviews. One over phone, one in person, a third after taking a skills and personality test to ask more in depth questions, and then did a martkeing presentation of how I would work to find and keep clients. Keep in mind if interviewing with the company that they are looking for confident and assertive people who can represent the company well.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult situation you have ever had to deal with?   Answer Question

Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online, then got a call back within the next few days. The recruiter set up a phone interview then for the 1:1 interview. It was a long process for me. i had two interviews in person. (one i took the personality test at)Then i was scheduled another appointment where i was given a sample survey ( to start your book of business/ prospects) then met with the manager. and was offered the job. The office was great, brand new. Nice people. Great manager and recruiter.

Interview Question – Why do you think you are a good fit for this company? what can you bring to the table? how many people do you know? etc.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It was not the right fit for me. I didnt want to sell life insurance, although I think i should have gave it a try. They are a well established company and made me feel wanted and appreciated.

San Antonio, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2007.

Interview Details – Most intensive that I have ever gone through. The interview was not your typical standarized questions. The process is very deep and more conversational to see if I was a fit or not. I was pleased to see I was not just interviewed by one person but by other employees that I would be working with. Being new to the field I asked a lot of questions and I was not only given the answers but even respected and encouraged to interview with the competition.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Non applicable. Commission Based only

Financial Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2009.

Interview Details – I found an ad through career builder initially looking for a banking position. I knew I wanted sales and this seemed like a good opportunity. I was immediately contacted by a recruiter and scheduled an interview 2 days later. They asked the basic questions (what skills to you bring to us?, why are you choosing us?). Then the recruiter preceded to give about a half hour long presentation of the company. They want to be absolutely sure you understand what you are applying for. You then are assigned 2 assessments, a financial disclosure (to determine if you have the financial backing to make it through the first months), and they the determine whether to invite you to a second interview. If you get the second, you meet with the managing partner, he or she will then ask you more about yourself and give you an example of what you will be doing. They will then assign you a homework project where you need to conduct surveys through people you know, and people you don't know. If you are successful at this, they will offer you a contract. Do not be intimidated, this is an awesome opportunity if you are in to sales.

Interview Question – What is unique about you?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative interview questions and advice. All 241 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.