Northwestern Mutual

2.4

322 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2007.

Most intensive that I have ever gone through. The interview was not your typical standarized questions. The process is very deep and more conversational to see if I was a fit or not. I was pleased to see I was not just interviewed by one person but by other employees that I would be working with. Being new to the field I asked a lot of questions and I was not only given the answers but even respected and encouraged to interview with the competition.

Non applicable. Commission Based only

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2009.

I found an ad through career builder initially looking for a banking position. I knew I wanted sales and this seemed like a good opportunity. I was immediately contacted by a recruiter and scheduled an interview 2 days later. They asked the basic questions (what skills to you bring to us?, why are you choosing us?). Then the recruiter preceded to give about a half hour long presentation of the company. They want to be absolutely sure you understand what you are applying for. You then are assigned 2 assessments, a financial disclosure (to determine if you have the financial backing to make it through the first months), and they the determine whether to invite you to a second interview. If you get the second, you meet with the managing partner, he or she will then ask you more about yourself and give you an example of what you will be doing. They will then assign you a homework project where you need to conduct surveys through people you know, and people you don't know. If you are successful at this, they will offer you a contract. Do not be intimidated, this is an awesome opportunity if you are in to sales.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2009.

Overall the experience has been very positive. I really like the attention they pay to detail and the fact that they have a systm in place to help the agents early on. A lot of other companies claim that they have systems but truthfully they seem to want you to create one for yourself.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your production last year.   View Answer
    • Why would you be interested in leaving your current employer to come to NM?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winter Park, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winter Park, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2010.

I interviewed, she asked me the usual questions, I answered them. Before the interview I was required to complete some kind of personality test that was supposed to discussed during the interview but we didn't.

There was no project 100. She did told me the position was fully commission based but that there were "some kind" of rewards for the first 6 months. Now, she didn't really made it clear what those kind of rewards were but it seemed to me that they were just business expenses.

Then was schedule for a Career Profile which told them: "This candidate is highly likely to quit before the first year of employment" so I wasn't hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2010.

I interviewed for a position in Financial Services. There is a prerequisite that you are able to pass Life, Health, and Disability Insurance state licensing exams. You will not be allowed direct client contact if you cannot pass these exams. You will first be contacted by a recruiter via phone, either for a phone interview or to arrange an in-person interview. There are then second and third round interviews prior to an offer, each with higher ranking employees in the firm. The final interview will be with a Managing Director (typically internships) or Managing Partner (full-time). The firm will cover the cost of the exams, but you will be expected to buy your own study materials. Interview questions were almost all personality and fit, due largely to the fact that they have such a comprehensive training program. There were also company administered personality and IQ tests.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you envision yourself in five years? What type of income are you looking for?   View Answer
    • How many hours are you willing to work a week? How would you describe your work ethic?   View Answer
    Negotiated expectations. I would advise anyone considering an offer to examine how your personality fits with a role in sales and advisory.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2009.

I applied online, then got a call back within the next few days. The recruiter set up a phone interview then for the 1:1 interview. It was a long process for me. i had two interviews in person. (one i took the personality test at)Then i was scheduled another appointment where i was given a sample survey ( to start your book of business/ prospects) then met with the manager. and was offered the job. The office was great, brand new. Nice people. Great manager and recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you are a good fit for this company? what can you bring to the table? how many people do you know? etc.   Answer Question

It was not the right fit for me. I didnt want to sell life insurance, although I think i should have gave it a try. They are a well established company and made me feel wanted and appreciated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2011.

I have interviewed with several financial services companies, and while they share several similarities, I found NMFN's process to be superior. I completed an online application process using a link on the local office's website. The online process included extensive questions, a personality test, a skills test, and uploading my resume. I was contacted by a recruiter within 1 business day, and scheduled a face-to-face interview.

First Interview: I spent nearly an hour with the recruiter sharing about myself, and learning about the company. The recruiter was great at asking questions, and I felt like I was given the opportunity to talk about my experiences, personality, and career goals. It was very conversational, and enjoyable. At the end of the first interview I spent 20 minutes or so with the Director of (organizational) Development. This was great as well.

Second Interview: This interview was a one-on-one with the Director of Development. It lasted over an hour, and we reviewed the details of the position, job expectations, compensation structure, operating philosophies, etc. There was also much getting-to-know-each-other chatting, and I felt we were both assessing if this would be a good fit. I left the meeting with a stack of material and a training book.

Basics Day: In between my 2nd and 3rd Interviews, I was invited to spend the day at the office participating in a 'Basics Day' training session. I participated in a set of weekly meetings, and the introductory day for the latest 'class' of new hires. It was a great opportunity to learn more about the ethos of the office, and catch a glimpse of the overall process.

Third Interview: This interview was with the Director of Development, one of the Representatives that serves as a mentor to new hires, my husband and myself. It lasted over an hour. It was a very frank discussion of questions and concerns on both sides. At the end of that interview, we set a schedule for me to work through a set of Market Surveys, the purpose of which is for me to get a feel for the work, and to give NMFN a chance to see how I'd do in the field. They accomodated my schedule, and provided materials to prepare me for, and conduct the surveys.

Fourth Interview: Again, I met with the Director of Development, and the Rep who had been present in the 3rd Interview. We spent about an hour discussing how the process went and my observations. I asked some pointed questions that had come up for me, and we talked through several issues. At the end of that meeting, they offered me to the chance to join the team.

Next Steps: Before I can officially join the team, I will complete a long series of background checks, a test on Northwestern's basic products / processes, and a Long Term Care test. Once I'm through that process, I will be under a part-time contract. I will then need to pass my state exams, build a 200+ prospective client list, and read a book (they provided) on the Granum system -- before starting the training class. I've also chosen to complete a few of the required Series exams, which they'll sponsor me for.

Interview Questions
    • In the Survey process, what were two strenghts that you found? Two weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • You have something of tremendous value to people. How would you ask current clients for referrals to provide that service to others?   Answer Question
    In my case, there was no negotiation. This is a commission only position. My office will completely cover my office-based overhead, including providing a computer, cubicle, cards, forms, processing support, etc. As a statutory employee, I'll also receive a full benefits package, and Errors and Ommissions coverage.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2011.

Excellent process all together. Clear communication in all aspects to know what information was needed and when. Challenges were part of the process, i.e. conducting market surveys to obtain perception of the insurance industry from the population as well as referrals to conduct additional surveys. Recruiter and Managing Director very professional in all dealings. Timely communication. Office environment very pleasant and professional.
    Advice: This position is an independent contractor position so you need to be sure you have entrepreneurial drive. The market survey is key for you to know if you can handle meeting face to face with strangers, questioning, listening and obtaining good leads.

Interview Questions
    • Can you conduct a market survey of 5 known people & obtain 3-5 referrals and then meet with one of those referrals (unknown) and conduct the survey and then obtain 3-5 referrals from them?   View Answer
    • It's not about working hard...everyone says they can work hard...but can you get referrals and can you meet with 25 people a week?   Answer Question
    The position is commission based only so there is no negotation on salary.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2011.

Northwestern is a great comany with a very extensive interview process. Everyone that I worked with a met gave me opportunities to prove myself and my skills. The recruiter that worked with me was excellent at their job and represents the company well. I have never had better interview practice and experience as I did with them. I went through four seperate interviews. One over phone, one in person, a third after taking a skills and personality test to ask more in depth questions, and then did a martkeing presentation of how I would work to find and keep clients. Keep in mind if interviewing with the company that they are looking for confident and assertive people who can represent the company well.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult situation you have ever had to deal with?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2011.

The process is pretty straight forward you first have to attend an information session and then sign up for an interview. The interview usually takes place in their office and if they believe that you might be a good fit for the job they ask you to conduct a market survey in which you interview 15 people about financial management. Your final interview is presenting the findings of the market survey.

Interview Questions
    • What did you think of the market survey? Did you think it was difficult?   Answer Question