Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015
Updated Apr 13, 2015

2.4

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Lombard, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Met the recruiter at my school's career fair. The first interview was a phone interview that took around 30 minutes. The recruiter was very kind, and asked mostly behavioral based questions. Not very hard at all. Asked me about my family and background, and asked me to describe my greatest strengths and weaknesses. After the questions she told me about the company and what I would be doing as a financial representative. At the end she asked me if I had any questions I wanted to ask her. After the phone interview I was scheduled to meet in person with the company near my town.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your school?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Prior to formal interviewing, an applicant completes personality/compatibility surveys via an online portal link provided by the recruiter. If the survey results trend towards the desired profile, then a baseline interview is requested by the recruiter. Professional business attire is required for this role, and you should arrive 15-20 minutes early. Plan on filling out contact/background/family info worksheet, which is provided when you notify reception of your arrival.

Typically, one passes through three interviewers, who assume different roles. The recruiter is presenting the corporate history and selling the opportunity for commission-based earnings associated with this role.

The second interviewer spends more time on the personality survey results, and in general, tells you repeatedly that it's not an easy job, and what it really takes to succeed in this role. This is the point where you should forget about the income growth possibility, and focus on your own financial reality and fiscal responsibilities, since this is a commission-based role, and the sales cycle can often be lengthy before you get paid. If not at all deterred by the second interviewer's disclosures, then you may be a good candidate. The final interview is with the managing partner of the office, and is mainly an evaluation of interpersonal and listening skills during the interaction, which are highly integral to the job role.

Overall, I felt it was very deliberate, thorough, and well planned interview process.

Interview Questions

• Approximately how many personal and/or business related individuals do you have contact information for currently via social media networks, business networking, and your personal contacts?   2 Answers

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

The process is smooth and comfortable. The whole interview is very much like a conversation. If you go the next round they will give you actual homework to do before the next one. Work usually involves going out and surveying people. Be ready to actually step out of your comfort zone and your house to land this job. The job is also mainly sales based so make sure that is something you want to do before you proceed.

Interview Questions

• The questions are mainly behavioral. Almost no technical question.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Asked me what are my ultimate goals in life, what were my acheivements, how did I learn from my previous mistakes in life, describing myself and my personality. All the questions where quite general and the interview was a good chunk of time, like 45 minutes but that was the first round and it was on the phone. Further interviews were in person and assigned us projects of who to call & your networks.

Interview Questions

• See above, general interview questions, not really lots of surprises i'd say.   Answer Question

better off somewhere else.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Mine was three rounds and met with different branches. Not too difficult but they disguised the fact you're job is simply to sell life insurance to friends and family. The first round was behavioral and the second more just telling you what you'd be doing if you take the job.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

They came to a job fair at my college, where they gave general information about the company. Then I was later contacted by a recruiter to come to an interview, I had the interview, which went on for about an hour + . Then I was told that I would be sent an online survey to complete

Interview Questions

• Where do you see your self in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • If there was a snow storm and a client wanted to meet, what would you do and why?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

invited me in for an information session and explained the company and what it was about. To me it seemed like a scam exploiting my friends and family try to sell insurance to them. Didn't bother compiling a list and looked for an internship somewhere else

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any questions, just an info session   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Interview

3 Interviews, all in office. Process took about 3 weeks. Fairly easy questions, they pretty much wanted to see if my personality could handle the position. essentially a saleman role. I did chose not to take the job because I was not willing to contact the 100 or so friends that would be necessary.

Interview Questions

• How did your friends react when you told them you were going on an interview with Northwestern Mutual?   Answer Question

Better offer

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Provo, UT) in February 2015.

Interview

The first interview is very much a behavior interview. They are looking for the personality of someone who can bring them more clients and revenue. Positive, optimistic, driven. Before the second interview they will give you some homework to do, such as a personality quiz, a one page essay, and 6 interviews to conduct (3 people you know, and 3 strangers that the first 3 refer you to) regarding their financial decisions.

*I took the interview more for the experience than my desire to work for them. I told them what they wanted to hear and they seemed very interested in me, but I told them I wasn't interested after this point.

Interview Questions

• They will ask about your sales experience and how you feel about sales. They will also ask you about your savings, because the job doesn't pay very well for a new hire without any clients.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Took about three weeks after applying online to schedule an interview. I scheduled it at 3:00PM but they called 30 minutes in advance. I could not pick up at the moment so I gave it a wait. Never received a call again so I emailed the recruiter explaining the situation and asking for an alternative option and she just told me "we called but you did not receive it. You also didn't have a voicemail set up". I told them I am no longer interested.