Northwestern Mutual

2.4

324 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The company came to the school and I met with one of their representatives. I was given an interview for the next week. The interview was pretty east but I declined the offer because I did not want to sell insurance to my friends and family. It was not the right kind of job for me.

Interview Questions

I did not want to sell insurance. The first thing they wanted me to do was write down 60 names of people I knew with their phone numbers. It was not the kind of work I was interested in doing so I declined the offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

2nd Interview round, met with district manager...pretty relaxed interview, but asked me questions about parents which i did not quite like...only asked a few previous experience questions and why i wanted to work in the financial services industry...rest of the interview was him explaining life insurance and how NWM operates

Interview Questions

Salary is only commission, entry level a bit too independent for me

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through my university and was scheduled for a phone interview shortly after. The interview was really basic. A few days later, I got invited for a second round phone interview which was essentially just like the first one. The third round was in their office. For that round, I had to deliver a presentation about the company and why I wanted to intern for them.

Interview Questions
    • Why Northwestern Mutual and how will we benefit from having you?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through my school website and was contacted about 2 weeks later. I went to their office and was interviewed there. As far as I know, the interview process consist of 3 stages. You will be asked to put a list of 5-10 people in your network down.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

NMN reached out to me through the campus online recruiting website and asked me if I would like to have an interview with them. We had a phone interview since I wasn't able to be on site. The interviewer started the interview with several questions regarding to my family background, which made me a bit upsetting. But other than that everything went well just make sure you know the company well.

Interview Questions

The position is called Financial Rep but it's actually more like a sales job, which is not what I was looking for.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Was referred by a friend. Went for an initial interview and received a call for a second interview about a week later. Both interviews were very behavioral and personality based. Made it to the final interview in which you must give a 5 minute presentation about yourself. Overall a very pleasant interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • None to really speak of. The only section that I found slightly confusing was actually talking about insurance. But you will learn all of that in training.   Answer Question
    No negotiating involved.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

3 interviews pretty causal ask you about your goals, where you see yourself headed in 5 years. You first meet with a recruiter then you meet with a branch manager. Mutual exploration process.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation because it's an internship.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

Went in for an interview at their San Jose office. The questions were mostly behavioral/personal such as tell me about yourself, how do you define success, why do you want to work here, do you want to work in sales, where do you see yourself in 5 years etc. They also asked what I knew about Northwestern Mutual and what products they offer. The interview was really short. After the interview they email you 2 surveys to complete.

Interview Questions

Not interested in a sales position that's completely commission based.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

Overall a positive experience with a group of people who are excited about what they do. I approached a NWM recruiter on a Friday and was called on a Monday to be brought in for an interview. They work quickly; you'll hear from them at least once a week to set up the next step. Besides interviewing with the recruiter, you'll probably meet the local office's Managing Director, new hire director, and potentially Managing Partner. They're relatively nonchalant about interviewing you, which they will call "meeting" with you. They espouse the mutual fit concept a lot. Be prepared to go in for an interview not really knowing the format or duration, but potentially meeting a lot of important people right off the bat. The interview questions were very simple, the kind of stuff you'd find on a list of typical behavioral questions. Ideal answers involve mentioning wanting to own your own career and wanting to help people.

Pros:
    - Initial training gets you licensed and working (and potentially making money) within the first month.
    - Income potential is essentially limitless, although the first couple years will likely test your limits (financially and emotionally). For those that "make it" (year 5 or so) the career can provide substantial income for a lifetime.
    - The office seemed to be full of people who are excited about Northwestern and excited about what they do.

Cons:
    - Financially difficult if you don't know around 200 people, at the time of interviewing, who you could immediately begin trying to sell products to.
    - You will quickly exhaust your "natural" network of people you know, so identify your extended network that you will work with thereafter (e.g. alumni associations, fraternal organizations, social clubs).

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable with a commission-only income?   View Answer

Commission-only income was too risky for my family at the time.

Financial Representative Interview

Emailed regarding a summer internship to a local recruiter who then called to get to know me a bit better. There is also an online personality/sales test that you must take to see your dynamic and for them to see how you would fit with the company. Met with them at the career fair to get a little more information about the job. Set an interview for a couple of weeks later.