Northwestern Mutual

2.4

287 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Met a recruiter through a college career fair, and scheduled an initial interview with that recruiter. Initially thought I was interviewing for the Fin Rep position, and it may have been intentionally unclear, but I was actually interviewing for the Graduate Program. Basic questions were asked to assess a good "fit"in first interview, then I was contacted for a second "in-depth" interview and instructed to do a brief presentation. My interviewer did not show up, so I was interviewed by someone else. Following the in-depth interview I was given a quota of 10 market surveys and 15 referrals to complete before my final interview. The employees were generally quite friendly, and the corporate culture is relaxed and fun.

Interview Questions
  • How would your participation in our program benefit our team and Network Office?   View Answer
  • What was the most rewarding/challenging role in your previous work experience, and why?   Answer Question
  • What was your biggest take away from the market survey experience?   Answer Question

Small stipend that would barely cover transportation costs during internship, and no base salary even after going full-time. It was not the ideal market for my career goals.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2014.

I got referred to the company from a different financial representative, and had a initial interview. Four more follow it. Got a second interview. We will see where it goes from here.

Financial Representative Interview

Friendly interview. Commission based. Kept on about company average is 82,000 a year for their financial reps. Curious what percentage quit before calculating that number. Lot of work before a paycheck arrives. Neutral attitude regarding company. Didn't move forward with position. Culture seemed enjoyable with plenty of support surrounding the office and the advisors. I was looking for more.

Interview Questions
    • She wasn't trying to acquire weaknesses. More of a behavioral interview gauging your interpersonal skills.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

called me for an initial over the phone interview and invited me in for a 2nd interview. guy who interviewed me was real interested in my goals and was really into the hiring process unlike other places i have been to. He was also 25 which made it a little easier for me. set up a time for the third and final meeting right there on the spot.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Very conversational. Must be able to call a lot of people on the phone. Some people just aren't cut out for the job, but if you do well at it you can be VERY successful.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. Very straightforward.   Answer Question
    Simple

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2013.

I felt the in-office interview was pretty standard. I was a recent college graduate and interviewed with a college recruiter. She asked personal questions for 5-10 minutes to break the ice, ie. What kind of activities are you interested in, what the family does... etc. Then asked about my college experience, classes I took, and extracurriculars. Wanted to know how the things I experienced would help me in the job world. Asked how I deal with conflict and time management. After the first interview, they ask you to take a few on-line tests that determine your personality and decide if you would be a good fit for this position. You really must be honest to get an accurate score and see if you are really a good fit! After the test it took a couple days for the recruiter to contact me. If they decide you are NOT a good fit at this time, you may re-take the test after 6 months. If you ARE a good fit you go back in for an interview with the recruiter and a Senior Financial Representative. If you pass, the next interview is with 2 or 3 people from higher management.

Interview Questions
    • Name an example of a time when you were overwhelmed, describe your emotions and how you dealt with the problem.   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I applied online and within about 2 weeks a received a phone call asking for an interview. During the call she told me about the internship and what is expected. I was at school so I had my interview when I was home for winter break. Really straightforward questions such as your biggest accomplishment and you strengths and weaknesses. They basically make you solicit clients yourself. Seems like the interns do most of the work (why they have 3,400 interns at a time)

Interview Questions
    • Do you know a lot of people that would be in need of financial services?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grand Haven, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Haven, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

I found a position in the West Michigan area and was immediately reached out to by two recruiters from two offices. I had two separate phone interviews, a video interview, and then three in person interviews at three offices.

It's not really a job you negotiate for, as the company knows exactly what they are looking for and have a definitive plan for you to follow. You need to earn it.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied via my university's job board and was contacted the same day to schedule an interview. My first interview consisted of a series of rather basic personality and background questions, with nothing on industry knowledge. My second interview consisted entirely of a pitch from the managing director, I did not answer any questions. I was then given a packet which contained a list of homework assignments which essentially called on me to provide Northwestern with my professional network. It asked me to list people I knew in different industries and from different areas in which I met them (college, neighborhood, etc.). I also had to prepare a self-pitch in which I gave a presentation about why I was a good candidate for the position. They did a very good job of displaying their environment as hard working and ethical, but I ended up accepting another offer.

Interview Questions
    • What are your relationships with your mother and father like?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2013.

The interview process is purely an assessment of your personality and a list of your network. If they see you are connected to wealthy people they will promise you an unlimited income based on how hard you work to bring you on board.

I recieved a $4,000 singing bonus