Northwestern Mutual

Getting the Interview

241 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – Met a recruiter at a career fair for my university and signed up for an interview there.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Walnut Creek, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – They called me in for four interviews and I also had to complete two online assessments and complete a packet of "homework." All of the interviewers were genial and asked basic questions. They expect you to be willing to ask friends and family for business if they hire you.

Interview Question – What is your greatest achievement?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2013.

Interview Details – I came in as a Post-Grad Intern. I went through several interviews ranging from phone, Skype, and in person. After they select you, you go to the training camp which is an incredible experience. They tell you what you need to do to succeed and then you're on your own.

Interview Question – The toughest part of this job is all the hidden doors that you fall through without any warning. It's very easy to stray from the path and completely fail. The toughest part is that they only focus on those who are immediately successful and let the majority fall off the radar.   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Interview Details – Met with the recruiter at their local office. Simple, very informative meeting. Asked a lot of general background questions as they try to figure out if you are the right fit for their company. The recruiter was able to answer most of my questions through her presentation, but I was able to ask any remaining questions at the end.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Phone Screen, Initial Office Meeting, then they'll decide to make an offer. Usually speak with recruiter, manager, and managing director of the office.

Interview Question – How difficult is it to sell to friends and family?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Strictly commission based salary

Walnut Creek, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume, got a call back to set up a phone screen. During the phone screen, they asked general questions about my resume, and then questions such as what do you know about Northwetern, the internship program, and why do you want to work for us, etc. Then they ask you to go into their office, and for me it seemed like a more informal information session. There were also three other people who were there, who had applied for the internship position as well. The Manager asked each of us about ourselves and our interests, then talked about the company and internship program.

Interview Question – Tell me about a recent challenge that you had to overcome.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The first year of the Financial Representative Intern is basically selling insurance, which I was not interested in doing. Also, since i would not have many clients yet, i would have to build a network by selling insurance to my family and friends, which sounded very unappealing to me.

Durham, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details – 3 interviews, the first was over the phone with a recruiter that was behavioral, following that interview there were a series of online tests and then a second in office interview that was very relaxed and just talking to trying to find out if you are cut out for the type of work and if you will fit into the office. Following the second interview you are required to do market research, interview at least 5 people about their past experiences with financial advisors or the financial industry or insurance industry and then create a presentation to give to the recruiter and internship advisor. Job offer was extended at the end of that interview.

Interview Question – Not really any just walking through the resume. What are your greatest weaknesses?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation take it or leave it.

Hoover, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Very thorough screening and interview process. Whole process consisted of about 4-5 meetings over the course of about 2 months.

Interview Question – What kind of legacy do you want to leave behind?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. 100% Commission.

White Plains, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2010.

Interview Details – If you don't come from a wealthy family or a family that owners a small business then your wasting your time. As a former member of management I know what they want a candidate to offer...ie wealthy family or owners of a small business, preferably a big business.

Negotiation Details – All commissions are the same for everyone. Only 1 out of every10. Hires will be successful.

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Three separate interviews and finally offered the part. Very laid back interview process.

Interview Question – None were too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me the internship.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual