Northwestern Mutual

2.4

287 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2012.

The interview process had 3 interviews with an assessment. First interview went in a lot of detail on the position, which I really liked. Second interview was even more in depth, third interview went over benefits and compensation. I had a very clear picture of the position before accepting.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The process was a little nebulous, as I have a background in sales, but little experience in financial services. They were very clear about the wonderful opportunities available through the company, and it was very appealing to think I could move within any area of financial services that I could want. I was very surprised and turned off by the 100% commission. It was difficult for me to understand exactly what I'd be selling and to whom, however they seemed confident that I would learn all that info in their extensive and comprehensive training.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Very quick and easy because they hire most applicants that can handle themselves in the interview. Network offices do their own hiring and applicants can pretty much choose a "home office." Background check was done before i was hired.

Not a salaried position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

There are four interviews. The first one is where you go over your résumé recruiting manager. Then they tell you about how great the job is and how much money you can make. They ask you how many people do you know well (you wouldn't need to be introduced by someone else) in the area. If that number is above 50, then you move on to the next round.

The second round is a personality test to see if you would be personable enough to be a good salesman. Again, if you answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, you move on.

The third part is a meeting with the branch manager. They basically ask the same questions as the hiring manager. Again, answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, and you move on. I started having second thoughts, and didn't get passed this round.

Interview Questions
    • How many contacts do you currently have that you could call and set up an appointment with?   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Interview with a recruiter. Interview with several different agents about the position. Then submit a business plan and present your plan. Meet with the managing partner who will give you the final approval on joining NML.

Interview Questions
    • question: How are you going to handle not having a guaranteed base of pay?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2012.

The process was very streamlined. They send you a personality profile that is pretty lengthy. After they review your profile they set up the first interview. At that first interview they talk exclusively about your strengths and weakness as your profile fits. Mine was pretty spot on. After the first interview you are given an assignment to conduct 10 market surveys. After you complete that task you go to your second interview. After your second interview you are to amass a list of names and put them in your database for you to get started. The last interview is to talk about compensation.

Interview Questions
    • There really was no difficult questions. I was a career changer so the whole industry was new to me.   Answer Question
    There really was no negotiation. They have one pay scale. This job is 100% commision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

3 step process, the first step is a phone interview. step 2 is to go into the office and meet with the recruiter you had your phone interview with, along with several other people to go over compensation and how you did on your personality assessment. 3rd and final interview is going over Market information surveys, and seeing if this career is a good fit for you. They offered me the job on the spot at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is your plan of attack to be successful in this business if you are hired?   Answer Question
    Short, take some time after and reflect on what your current situation is

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

There were a series of phone interviews followed up with some sample surveys that you must submit to the HR representative. Most of the questions were personality based and they make sure to tell you that it will be mostly sales based. If you are comfortable with asking your family and friends if they are interested in life insurance it is fairly easy.

Interview Questions
    I chose not to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Latham, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY

I applied through other source - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Invited for initial interview and was given a through overview of the company along with the basic interview questions that one would expect; i.e.. tell us about yourself; why this industry and NWM, etc. Very impressed with the professionalism of the organization and the values of the company. Was explained that the process would be in several stages and that there would be an assessment sent via email to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Did not experience any difficult questions or anything unexpected.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

The interview was very simple, just some basic questions about myself. I do not believe that many who apply and get an interview do not receive an offer. The interview lasted about twenty minutes but I was waiting for about half an hour.