Northwestern Mutual

Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.4

304 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2014.

I got referred to the company from a different financial representative, and had a initial interview. Four more follow it. Got a second interview. We will see where it goes from here.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

I applied via my university's job board and was contacted the same day to schedule an interview. My first interview consisted of a series of rather basic personality and background questions, with nothing on industry knowledge. My second interview consisted entirely of a pitch from the managing director, I did not answer any questions. I was then given a packet which contained a list of homework assignments which essentially called on me to provide Northwestern with my professional network. It asked me to list people I knew in different industries and from different areas in which I met them (college, neighborhood, etc.). I also had to prepare a self-pitch in which I gave a presentation about why I was a good candidate for the position. They did a very good job of displaying their environment as hard working and ethical, but I ended up accepting another offer.

Interview Questions
    • What are your relationships with your mother and father like?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The process was a little nebulous, as I have a background in sales, but little experience in financial services. They were very clear about the wonderful opportunities available through the company, and it was very appealing to think I could move within any area of financial services that I could want. I was very surprised and turned off by the 100% commission. It was difficult for me to understand exactly what I'd be selling and to whom, however they seemed confident that I would learn all that info in their extensive and comprehensive training.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Very quick and easy because they hire most applicants that can handle themselves in the interview. Network offices do their own hiring and applicants can pretty much choose a "home office." Background check was done before i was hired.

Not a salaried position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Haven, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Haven, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

I found a position in the West Michigan area and was immediately reached out to by two recruiters from two offices. I had two separate phone interviews, a video interview, and then three in person interviews at three offices.

It's not really a job you negotiate for, as the company knows exactly what they are looking for and have a definitive plan for you to follow. You need to earn it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

I had three interviews during the interview process. The first interview we discussed what my goals were, how would you describe yourself, how would other people view you, ect. Mostly trying to figure out if you are a driven, hardworking person. The second interview we talked about the assessment test you take to make sure you are going to be a go-getter. See if you can build your own clientele of at least 200 people. (make sure you say you work full time in the questionnaire or you will not get a call back. That is what they told me.) Third interview they offered me the job and discussed the training process and all pay. Everyone that worked there was great and I wished I could of taken the job

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome? and How would you deal with that problem if you had the chance? Would you deal with the obstacle in the same way?   Answer Question

I declined because, the training process was four weeks long 45 hours a week with no pay. In the past they have given a $4000 sign up. I couldn't afford to have no pay for a month so I had to decline

Financial Representative Interview

Interview with a recruiter. Interview with several different agents about the position. Then submit a business plan and present your plan. Meet with the managing partner who will give you the final approval on joining NML.

Interview Questions
    • question: How are you going to handle not having a guaranteed base of pay?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY

I applied through other source – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Invited for initial interview and was given a through overview of the company along with the basic interview questions that one would expect; i.e.. tell us about yourself; why this industry and NWM, etc. Very impressed with the professionalism of the organization and the values of the company. Was explained that the process would be in several stages and that there would be an assessment sent via email to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Did not experience any difficult questions or anything unexpected.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

The interview was very simple, just some basic questions about myself. I do not believe that many who apply and get an interview do not receive an offer. The interview lasted about twenty minutes but I was waiting for about half an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

On-boarding and interview process took 4 months. First a recruiter called and did a phone interview, then they asked me to come in to the office and meet with them. By the time I received an offer, 4 months had passed and I met with 6 different people.

Interview Questions
    • How many people do you know that make $250,000 or more?   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation possible, this was a 100% commission based job. The compensation, benefits and expectations were previously set and not negotiable.