Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
280 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Interview Details – There were a series of phone interviews followed up with some sample surveys that you must submit to the HR representative. Most of the questions were personality based and they make sure to tell you that it will be mostly sales based. If you are comfortable with asking your family and friends if they are interested in life insurance it is fairly easy.

Interview Question – What leadership positions have you held?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I chose not to negotiate.

Latham, NY

I applied through other source and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Invited for initial interview and was given a through overview of the company along with the basic interview questions that one would expect; i.e.. tell us about yourself; why this industry and NWM, etc. Very impressed with the professionalism of the organization and the values of the company. Was explained that the process would be in several stages and that there would be an assessment sent via email to complete.

Interview Question – Did not experience any difficult questions or anything unexpected.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – The interview was very simple, just some basic questions about myself. I do not believe that many who apply and get an interview do not receive an offer. The interview lasted about twenty minutes but I was waiting for about half an hour.

Lawrence, KS

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was introduced to this job opportunity through a friend. The initial communication with Northwestern Mutual was casual because of the relationship I had with my friend. I exchanged emails with my friend and a recruiter and was able to set up an interview. We were able to establish a time that worked and I was able to meet with them at their offices in Lawrence, KS.

Interview Question – The interview process included a background (i.e. education, hobbies, etc.) and was followed by a series of specific behavioral questions. The interview ended with the Northwestern Mutual representative explaining the position to me and was contacts a few days after.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – At the time I was currently enrolled in the University of Kansas and decided to focus my efforts on my academics.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – On-boarding and interview process took 4 months. First a recruiter called and did a phone interview, then they asked me to come in to the office and meet with them. By the time I received an offer, 4 months had passed and I met with 6 different people.

Interview Question – How many people do you know that make $250,000 or more?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation possible, this was a 100% commission based job. The compensation, benefits and expectations were previously set and not negotiable.

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

Interview Details – They were very easy to talk to and open to me joining; almost seemed over kill. I think this might have come from their wanting to expand and to get more reps into their business very quickly. However, there were several interviews and a project to work on. Just tell them what they want to hear.

Interview Question – Do you understand insurance.   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2013.

Interview Details – There were 3 interviews. The first was a general introduction and question answer session like a typical job interview. The second was your presentation on what you think you will be doing and ultimately how you be a good fit and survive in the industry. The third and final interview was introducing you to your mentor and ultimately that person deciding if they like you and going more in depth on the compensation structure of the firm and any questions to be answered. Then they shake your hand and you get the job. The whole time they are weeding people out of the interview processes because it is highly competitive.

Interview Question – Phoning is something you will have to learn to adapt. In order to meet people you have to call those that you have connections with, alumni, family friends, old acquaintances to share with them what you are doing and see if you can help them or someone else in your network. It felt strange at first, but you get over it as people you meet with find value in what you do and eventually you see the impact your work has on people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you don't want to work hard and you have a poor work ethic don't waste everyone's time applying and taking someone else's hiring slot.

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Process was pretty structured. Was put into contact with a recruiter, then set up an interview. Got through the first one but realized the position was not for me. Interview was pretty formal although the recruiter was really nice. Good interview experience

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Syracuse, NY

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – The interview took about 30 minutes. No hard questions. The recruiter was very nice and tried to keep me relaxed.

Interview Question – How do people around you describe you?   Answer Question

Newport Beach, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2010.

Interview Details – Amazing, you find out a lot about yourself and what you want and why you are there. Just really cool people and such amazing values.

Interview Question – When was the last time you were faced with adversity and how did you respond.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation it is 100% comisson the first year then after that it is based off of your practice adn how you built it.