Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Jacksonville, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

4 in office interviews with other Independent Financial reps and the managing Partner. They wanted an entire background sizing up my financial competency, clean recors of activity and aptitiude for buidling relationships and being able to handle the ramp up period financially. They also wanted to make sure I looked and spoke well and was sharp minded and also handled objections well about my questions regarding the difference between them and the wirehouse. Overall it was a positive experience because we both wanted to make sure it was a good fit on both ends and you can't tell that in a 1 hour interview. Going back and asking new to senior level adviosrs 1:1 questions was a big help in my decision to work there. I am thankful they take it seriously. I was looking for a career move and not just a job. I wanted stability, support and direction. Their of plenty of mentors and joint work opportunities that are now possible by the Rep I met and am already building relationships with. It also is a classy environment and the people are well organized, successful, helpful and professional. That makes all the difference to me. I am ready to just knock it out of the park and be a good team player and coachable as I switch from one side of the financial industry to the other. Also, most of the hires are either college interns or were an employee referral. So that helped in my interview. The gentleman who referred me has been working for the company his entire career and that help support my candidacy and made me stand out from the beginning of the process. I just was very honest about what I wanted in my career, what I expected and where I thought I should be in five years. They liked that I had a plan.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Hampton, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I met this company at a hiring event. Had a lengthy discussion to the side when the representative could tell I was interested. I had many questions about their training program since I did not have a finance background. I did not ask about compensation even though that is the temptation, especially with sales/commission jobs. Afterward I spoke with my wife about this particular interaction because I felt a built a good rapport with the representative. A recruiter contacted me within a week, which was a surprise. She called to ask me to visit the office so she could answer my questions but I wasn't busy so I discussed my concerns (looking back I'm glad my wife and I discussed because allowed me add some intellectual rigor to pros/cons of me pursuing this type of job). Her quick call to me became a phone interview and she was able to dispel some of my preconceived notions. In a matter of a week I went from being somewhat interested, to deciding that I did not want to do this type of work, to agreeing with an in-person meeting/interview. I use the term interview because I truly believe anytime you speak to a HR professional/Hiring official you should treat it as an interview because you might not get the job because of how well the interaction is you will not get the job if it goes poorly.

Interview Questions

• What am I looking for in my next job?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process takes about an hour. First I was asked about my background, experience and qualifications and afterwards the recruiter provided me with information about the job and the company. After the initial interview, you required to submit the online assesment test. It takes about thirty minutes and its very straighrforward. Based on the results of the intial interview and test, they make decision within 48 hours whether invite you to the second interview or not.

Financial Representative () Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, received a small (5 min) phone interview a few days later. After the phone interview I was invited to interview in person in their Houston office. The interview went well; however, it appeared in the end they cared more about getting my contacts than really hiring me. Overall the interview was not tough and the company did a great job of making me feel at home, but in the end it was not the right position for me.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Ask you to complete a survey where you find 30 people to grow your book of business. Process takes about 1 month. It is a good internship if you are expecting to cold call a lot of people and are really interested in working as a financial representative.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Very lengthy, 3 stage process to become a sales person. At stage 2 you will be required to create a Skype presentation. You are then expected to make a list of 200 people that you can contact at the 3rd stage of the interview and then interview 6 people; 2 friends, 2 referrals, and 2 strangers about their financial status.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

3 Separate interviews were needed during the process. First was very basic, second interview asked many of the same questions, some a little more in depth. Before you're third interview you are required to survey 10 family members or friends and present your findings.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

The interview process is professional. Beginning with an introduction presentation in a big meeting room. After presentation, all candidate filled out an question sheet with some questions about yourselves. Then, the recruiter gave out one general question for everyone to answer. People take turns to answer this question in front of each other in the room.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Thorough. They conduct 4 interviews with various people around the company. You get a good idea of what it takes to succeed there as well as what they expect of you. Assessments are given throughout the process and they review these with you. You get the sense that they wouldn't bring you back for multiple interviews if they didn't think you were a good fit. That is confidence alone when they bring you on board.

Interview Questions

• What is a major accomplishment that you were proud of, professional or personal, and why?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

After the application process a recruiter reached out to me for a 1-on-1 interview. Afterwards I was called back for a Skype Interview in which they briefly my responsibilities. Got a call back a week later with an offer. They were both very laid back interviews, friendly people that just wanted to get to know your personality.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you're a good fit for this position?   1 Answer