Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.4

Financial Representative Interview

Interview

Got in touch by campus recruitment. Scheduled an interview for next week for financial representative position. Recruiter was nice. We had a nice conversation and smooth interview. Although this is still related to finance, it is more like a sales position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I could get in touch with certain amount of people.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Phone interview (took 1 hour), in person interview (took 45 Min), presentation (must be 5-7 minutes, given to a financial representative and a recruiter. Topic is a 4 question outline, provided by interviewers.)

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Three steps, 1. Phone Interview 2. In person group interview 3. Rhino Project Great Interview process Very nice people and easy to communicate with Felt like more of a conversation to get to know eachother rather than an interview Very professional, especially at their office in Illinois Overall, smooth interview process

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable asking people questions face to face?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Manchester, NH) in April 2015.

Interview

First I had a phone interview due to not being able to make the date they originally wanted to do the interview. My second interview was at their manchester office. The woman I interviewed with was extremely nice and very insightful. She certainly got me excited to work for northwestern mutual.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you had a goal and you failed to reach it? Why didn't you reach your goal, and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Hampton, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I met this company at a hiring event. Had a lengthy discussion to the side when the representative could tell I was interested. I had many questions about their training program since I did not have a finance background. I did not ask about compensation even though that is the temptation, especially with sales/commission jobs. Afterward I spoke with my wife about this particular interaction because I felt a built a good rapport with the representative. A recruiter contacted me within a week, which was a surprise. She called to ask me to visit the office so she could answer my questions but I wasn't busy so I discussed my concerns (looking back I'm glad my wife and I discussed because allowed me add some intellectual rigor to pros/cons of me pursuing this type of job). Her quick call to me became a phone interview and she was able to dispel some of my preconceived notions. In a matter of a week I went from being somewhat interested, to deciding that I did not want to do this type of work, to agreeing with an in-person meeting/interview. I use the term interview because I truly believe anytime you speak to a HR professional/Hiring official you should treat it as an interview because you might not get the job because of how well the interaction is you will not get the job if it goes poorly.

Interview Questions

• What am I looking for in my next job?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process takes about an hour. First I was asked about my background, experience and qualifications and afterwards the recruiter provided me with information about the job and the company. After the initial interview, you required to submit the online assesment test. It takes about thirty minutes and its very straighrforward. Based on the results of the intial interview and test, they make decision within 48 hours whether invite you to the second interview or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Jacksonville, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

4 in office interviews with other Independent Financial reps and the managing Partner. They wanted an entire background sizing up my financial competency, clean recors of activity and aptitiude for buidling relationships and being able to handle the ramp up period financially. They also wanted to make sure I looked and spoke well and was sharp minded and also handled objections well about my questions regarding the difference between them and the wirehouse. Overall it was a positive experience because we both wanted to make sure it was a good fit on both ends and you can't tell that in a 1 hour interview. Going back and asking new to senior level adviosrs 1:1 questions was a big help in my decision to work there. I am thankful they take it seriously. I was looking for a career move and not just a job. I wanted stability, support and direction. Their of plenty of mentors and joint work opportunities that are now possible by the Rep I met and am already building relationships with. It also is a classy environment and the people are well organized, successful, helpful and professional. That makes all the difference to me. I am ready to just knock it out of the park and be a good team player and coachable as I switch from one side of the financial industry to the other. Also, most of the hires are either college interns or were an employee referral. So that helped in my interview. The gentleman who referred me has been working for the company his entire career and that help support my candidacy and made me stand out from the beginning of the process. I just was very honest about what I wanted in my career, what I expected and where I thought I should be in five years. They liked that I had a plan.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Fort Worth, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Casual, easy interview. They want to know that you are willing to put in the work. They will ask you if you have a network that you can call on. So make sure you're able to find people/ get referrals from friends and family in your neighborhood/hometown. Interview was just learning about you and if you have what it takes to make it in this business that's all about activity.

Interview Questions

• "Why should I hire you?" "Are you capable of having people to call?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellesley, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Wellesley, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was very easy going, no stress at all. The HR lady was very kind and explained the process and job requirements very well. Met with the recruiter for the initial interview followed by the managing director for the second. The final interview was with the Managing Partner at the agency office who would ultimately make the final decision to whether or not you would move along in the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you think your natural market will correlate to your success?   Answer Question

Financial Representative () Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, received a small (5 min) phone interview a few days later. After the phone interview I was invited to interview in person in their Houston office. The interview went well; however, it appeared in the end they cared more about getting my contacts than really hiring me. Overall the interview was not tough and the company did a great job of making me feel at home, but in the end it was not the right position for me.