Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Princeton Meadows, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Princeton Meadows, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

Quick and easy process. Applied through college fair. They go int touch with me within 2 weeks or so. Seemed like a very good opportunity, but it just wasn't right for me personally.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Laid back and easy but they had nothing of value to offer. There was no base salary, only commission. Even if people are okay with that they would have to undergo quite a bit of training before being deemed ready to even earn the commission. They wanted me to take computer tests before even training for financial licenses. They wanted me to get my series 63 and well as other financial licenses so that I could try to sell financial services to my family and friends. They don't make people do cold calls which is great but I don't want to take any 'job' that requires me to constantly pester my friends and family by trying to sell them financial services. I have a hard time calling anything a job that's commission only. I take jobs that definitely handle expenses not jobs that have the potential to pay something maybe at some point in the future possibly. This company has an office in a gorgeous building in an incredibly pricey part of New York City. They can easily afford to offer a base salary to every single employee.

Interview Questions

• They wanted referrals of other people that I thought would be a good fit.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

I was referred by a current intern. A recruiter reached out to me and set up a casual interview on my campus. Next interview was at the office and was formal with behavioral questions and what I wanted to get out of this career. I had 2 more interviews before offered the position. It was lots of talking and learning about me.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Long and lost contact multiple times, randomly reached back out to me to recontinue process. Currently in the process of continuing the interview process and will see how it goes. Have to be comfortable selling insurance to friends I hear.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Disorganized and misleading. Miscommunications among offices and corprate are frequent. People try to be nice and helpful but are so busy they generally do not know how things work, and can not tell you who to go to when things go awry. If one person decides they do not like you who is part of the hiring process there is no way around it; even if it is some kind of discrimination. For anyone looking to work there DO NOT spend any time or money until you are fully onboarded. This means a signed contract and approval from corporate. Also I recomend all aplicants ask for a list of the steps of the onboarding process, including dates for when things will be done and who to contact. Be vigilant and have everything in writting.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You do not really get to negotiate. You will get commission from the corporation and bonuses at the choice of your district manager.

Financial Representative Interview

Interview

Got in touch by campus recruitment. Scheduled an interview for next week for financial representative position. Recruiter was nice. We had a nice conversation and smooth interview. Although this is still related to finance, it is more like a sales position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I could get in touch with certain amount of people.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Phone interview (took 1 hour), in person interview (took 45 Min), presentation (must be 5-7 minutes, given to a financial representative and a recruiter. Topic is a 4 question outline, provided by interviewers.)

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Three steps, 1. Phone Interview 2. In person group interview 3. Rhino Project Great Interview process Very nice people and easy to communicate with Felt like more of a conversation to get to know eachother rather than an interview Very professional, especially at their office in Illinois Overall, smooth interview process

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable asking people questions face to face?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Manchester, NH) in April 2015.

Interview

First I had a phone interview due to not being able to make the date they originally wanted to do the interview. My second interview was at their manchester office. The woman I interviewed with was extremely nice and very insightful. She certainly got me excited to work for northwestern mutual.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you had a goal and you failed to reach it? Why didn't you reach your goal, and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Hampton, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I met this company at a hiring event. Had a lengthy discussion to the side when the representative could tell I was interested. I had many questions about their training program since I did not have a finance background. I did not ask about compensation even though that is the temptation, especially with sales/commission jobs. Afterward I spoke with my wife about this particular interaction because I felt a built a good rapport with the representative. A recruiter contacted me within a week, which was a surprise. She called to ask me to visit the office so she could answer my questions but I wasn't busy so I discussed my concerns (looking back I'm glad my wife and I discussed because allowed me add some intellectual rigor to pros/cons of me pursuing this type of job). Her quick call to me became a phone interview and she was able to dispel some of my preconceived notions. In a matter of a week I went from being somewhat interested, to deciding that I did not want to do this type of work, to agreeing with an in-person meeting/interview. I use the term interview because I truly believe anytime you speak to a HR professional/Hiring official you should treat it as an interview because you might not get the job because of how well the interaction is you will not get the job if it goes poorly.

Interview Questions

• What am I looking for in my next job?   1 Answer