Northwestern Mutual

2.4

311 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Haven, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Haven, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

I found a position in the West Michigan area and was immediately reached out to by two recruiters from two offices. I had two separate phone interviews, a video interview, and then three in person interviews at three offices.

It's not really a job you negotiate for, as the company knows exactly what they are looking for and have a definitive plan for you to follow. You need to earn it.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

I had three interviews during the interview process. The first interview we discussed what my goals were, how would you describe yourself, how would other people view you, ect. Mostly trying to figure out if you are a driven, hardworking person. The second interview we talked about the assessment test you take to make sure you are going to be a go-getter. See if you can build your own clientele of at least 200 people. (make sure you say you work full time in the questionnaire or you will not get a call back. That is what they told me.) Third interview they offered me the job and discussed the training process and all pay. Everyone that worked there was great and I wished I could of taken the job

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome? and How would you deal with that problem if you had the chance? Would you deal with the obstacle in the same way?   Answer Question

I declined because, the training process was four weeks long 45 hours a week with no pay. In the past they have given a $4000 sign up. I couldn't afford to have no pay for a month so I had to decline

Financial Representative Interview

Interview with a recruiter. Interview with several different agents about the position. Then submit a business plan and present your plan. Meet with the managing partner who will give you the final approval on joining NML.

Interview Questions
    • question: How are you going to handle not having a guaranteed base of pay?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY

I applied through other source – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Invited for initial interview and was given a through overview of the company along with the basic interview questions that one would expect; i.e.. tell us about yourself; why this industry and NWM, etc. Very impressed with the professionalism of the organization and the values of the company. Was explained that the process would be in several stages and that there would be an assessment sent via email to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Did not experience any difficult questions or anything unexpected.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

The interview was very simple, just some basic questions about myself. I do not believe that many who apply and get an interview do not receive an offer. The interview lasted about twenty minutes but I was waiting for about half an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

On-boarding and interview process took 4 months. First a recruiter called and did a phone interview, then they asked me to come in to the office and meet with them. By the time I received an offer, 4 months had passed and I met with 6 different people.

Interview Questions
    • How many people do you know that make $250,000 or more?   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation possible, this was a 100% commission based job. The compensation, benefits and expectations were previously set and not negotiable.

Financial Representative Interview

Process was pretty structured. Was put into contact with a recruiter, then set up an interview. Got through the first one but realized the position was not for me. Interview was pretty formal although the recruiter was really nice. Good interview experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

The interview took about 30 minutes. No hard questions. The recruiter was very nice and tried to keep me relaxed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

There are four interviews. The first one is where you go over your résumé recruiting manager. Then they tell you about how great the job is and how much money you can make. They ask you how many people do you know well (you wouldn't need to be introduced by someone else) in the area. If that number is above 50, then you move on to the next round.

The second round is a personality test to see if you would be personable enough to be a good salesman. Again, if you answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, you move on.

The third part is a meeting with the branch manager. They basically ask the same questions as the hiring manager. Again, answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, and you move on. I started having second thoughts, and didn't get passed this round.

Interview Questions
    • How many contacts do you currently have that you could call and set up an appointment with?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Met a recruiter through a college career fair, and scheduled an initial interview with that recruiter. Initially thought I was interviewing for the Fin Rep position, and it may have been intentionally unclear, but I was actually interviewing for the Graduate Program. Basic questions were asked to assess a good "fit"in first interview, then I was contacted for a second "in-depth" interview and instructed to do a brief presentation. My interviewer did not show up, so I was interviewed by someone else. Following the in-depth interview I was given a quota of 10 market surveys and 15 referrals to complete before my final interview. The employees were generally quite friendly, and the corporate culture is relaxed and fun.

Interview Questions
    • How would your participation in our program benefit our team and Network Office?   View Answer
    • What was the most rewarding/challenging role in your previous work experience, and why?   Answer Question
    • What was your biggest take away from the market survey experience?   Answer Question

Small stipend that would barely cover transportation costs during internship, and no base salary even after going full-time. It was not the ideal market for my career goals.