Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.4

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

After the application process a recruiter reached out to me for a 1-on-1 interview. Afterwards I was called back for a Skype Interview in which they briefly my responsibilities. Got a call back a week later with an offer. They were both very laid back interviews, friendly people that just wanted to get to know your personality.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you're a good fit for this position?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process went very well. The first step in the process was a phone screening. The recruiter asked basic behavioral interview questions. It was a very conversational interview as well. The interviewer was very interested in me but preferred that I applied next year for the same position because they were looking for someone with a little more college experience. The recruiter was really nice and wants to continue to keep in touch throughout this next year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

Pretty basic. They just went through your resume and talked you through their summer internship program. There were no real curve balls. They also asked a lot of behavioral questions, which I assume they use to see if you are a "good fit". The entire process took a whole month. I started off with an in person interview and then two phone interviews before I got an offer. Also there were projects and assignments to complete in between each interview. Very straight forward overall. They want type A people driven by money and success.

Interview Questions

• What other colleges did you apply for and why?
      What do you like to do in your free time?
      What is your family background?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Very laid back and didn't discuss the internship very much. Got very off topic and constantly asked for more interviews. Always started interview late. Rushed through interviews. Asked many off topic questions

Interview Questions

• What do you like to do in your free time   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Milwaukee, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews through the phone concluded with a face to face presentation in the headquarters downtown. The first interview was very broad and asked about personality, the second was more in-depth and asked more thought provoking questions, the third interview was very specific about the internship.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle rejection?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation phase is after you get licensing with the state and very simple since it commissions based. There is essentially no room for negotiations, at least for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Lombard, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Met the recruiter at my school's career fair. The first interview was a phone interview that took around 30 minutes. The recruiter was very kind, and asked mostly behavioral based questions. Not very hard at all. Asked me about my family and background, and asked me to describe my greatest strengths and weaknesses. After the questions she told me about the company and what I would be doing as a financial representative. At the end she asked me if I had any questions I wanted to ask her. After the phone interview I was scheduled to meet in person with the company near my town.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your school?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Denver, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Three step process. They basically decide if they want to let you proceed to the next step as you work through each interview. Every step I went through was very enjoyable and relaxed. They threw a bunch of numbers and statistics at me regarding what former interns have pulled in during the summer. I chose not to go through with offer as I did not like the way the wanted me to generate leads for their finance products. I let them know this and they seemed shocked that I did not want to proceed with the offer.

Interview Questions

• All the basic questions...Describe yourself, Tell us about your work history, Why do you want to work here, strengths and weaknesses, etc   Answer Question

I chose not to go through with offer as I did not like the way the wanted me to generate leads for their finance products. I let them know this and they seemed shocked that I did not want to proceed with the process. Their compensation for interns is based off the financial products they sell. If no one purchases = you don't get paid.

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Grand Rapids, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

I had one interview, then was asked to complete several surveys. Came in a week later and was offered the position. It was very upfront and simple. Like many others have mentioned, kind of felt like they are just using young people to sell insurance to their families and close friends. I was straightforward with them and said my family members and friends will come to me if they want financial advice, I'm not going to be calling them setting up meetings for the sake of weekly meetings. There are creative ways to find new clients without having your circle start avoiding you. I shared some of my ideas and they seemed to appreciate my honesty.

Interview Questions

• What is your perception of the financial reps you know?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Prior to formal interviewing, an applicant completes personality/compatibility surveys via an online portal link provided by the recruiter. If the survey results trend towards the desired profile, then a baseline interview is requested by the recruiter. Professional business attire is required for this role, and you should arrive 15-20 minutes early. Plan on filling out contact/background/family info worksheet, which is provided when you notify reception of your arrival.

Typically, one passes through three interviewers, who assume different roles. The recruiter is presenting the corporate history and selling the opportunity for commission-based earnings associated with this role.

The second interviewer spends more time on the personality survey results, and in general, tells you repeatedly that it's not an easy job, and what it really takes to succeed in this role. This is the point where you should forget about the income growth possibility, and focus on your own financial reality and fiscal responsibilities, since this is a commission-based role, and the sales cycle can often be lengthy before you get paid. If not at all deterred by the second interviewer's disclosures, then you may be a good candidate. The final interview is with the managing partner of the office, and is mainly an evaluation of interpersonal and listening skills during the interaction, which are highly integral to the job role.

Overall, I felt it was very deliberate, thorough, and well planned interview process.

Interview Questions

• Approximately how many personal and/or business related individuals do you have contact information for currently via social media networks, business networking, and your personal contacts?   2 Answers

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

The process is smooth and comfortable. The whole interview is very much like a conversation. If you go the next round they will give you actual homework to do before the next one. Work usually involves going out and surveying people. Be ready to actually step out of your comfort zone and your house to land this job. The job is also mainly sales based so make sure that is something you want to do before you proceed.

Interview Questions

• The questions are mainly behavioral. Almost no technical question.   Answer Question