Northwestern Mutual

2.5

293 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

On campus Interview, Personality assessment, informational interview, practice client interaction and then final interview. Overall the staff and recruiters were really nice and willing to answer questions about the process. They were timely in responding and gave me enough time to respond to the offer. The personality assessment was mainly to see if you like client interaction, and the second to last step really assess if you like calling up people and setting up appointments and talks or not. If you don't like that then you should find a different position.

Interview Questions

I received better offer that was not in sales from another company.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Six step interview process, including career/personality profiles as well as market analysis early on in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Completing the 15 market surveys was more difficult than expected.   Answer Question

Commission job with too much risk for my comfort.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

First met with the Recuiting Manager. Then Took a few easy online assessments. After that was interviewed by managing director. THen asked to complete 15 person market research to see if im still interested in the job

Main focus I felt was just selling to friends and family

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Met the HR rep at a job fair who set me up with an interview. I work in financial services and had never heard of this company before, but what the heck. I have to say this was the weirdest interview I have ever had. The interviewer directed her questions more to my family and personal life than my professional experience - and aggressively so. She suggested that a good place to start a book of business would be to approach my family and friends. Creepy. At least I got a good sense of the high turnover at this company - and I did not even have to ask the question directly. Having worked in an administrative position for a prominent stockbroker years ago, I simply asked how Northwestern assigned walk in clients fairly to its brokers. The answer told me everything I needed to know. They bus the calls to a call center (apparently there are never any walk-in clients) because, and I quote, "We have no idea of how long our new reps will be here."

Interview Questions
    • Recruiter repeatedly asked personal questions about my family and even wanted to know how my son died.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Referred by a friend, he introduced me to a bunch of financial reps and they told me to come to their office for an interview. Sales part of the internship was great, but I didn't like targeting friends and families to sell insurance to them. I felt like they were using me to sell insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

They were very easy to talk to and open to me joining; almost seemed over kill. I think this might have come from their wanting to expand and to get more reps into their business very quickly. However, there were several interviews and a project to work on. Just tell them what they want to hear.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

First of four interviews completed, the first interview seemed to be more of a "how you will fit into the office" rather than trying to find qualifications. I have my second interview today (seemingly very easy to get to the second interview), which looks to be the biggest one of he process, as it is with the Managing Director, as opposed to the first one which was with the recruiter.

Financial Representative Interview

Resume submission followed by an online work preference survey, which asks candidates to rank personality descriptions from "that's me" to "not at all". Qualified candidate will be invited for a onsite interview at one of the groups that is hiring. Interview mostly includes basic questions with relatively fewer technical questions.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Go to information session, set up first round interview with recruiter, then interview with actual Financial Representative.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral questions. They are very concerned with your network of where you will be working.   Answer Question

commission based

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

There was an extensive interview process that took me about a month or two. The interviewer was very calming and relaxed, it was the best interview experience I've ever had because we treated it like a simple conversation. The most important thing they look for is that you are driven, ambitious, and self-motivated. On top of that you need to be able to hold down a conversation as that is 90% of the job. After the first interview I had to conduct a suitability assessment online, then I had to put together a presentation on myself and why I was a good fit for Northwestern Mutual. After that I had to conduct 15 market surveys to see how well I could prospect referrals and how well I could gather information out of client interviews. After that I had to be certified to sell Life Insurance, Annuities, and Health Insurance in my state of residence and then I had to pass a background check which took awhile and then went to an intensive week of training which has been followed up by weekly product trainings. It was a very good business model, very professionally run and very supportive. It's a lot of work but if you have the opportunity I highly recommend interviewing for Northwestern Mutual, best company I've ever worked for!