Northwestern Mutual

241 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interview Details – three rounds
1 - meet n greet
2 - trial period (creating leads and getting their perception of insurance)
3 - ppt presentation about what you bring to the table and why Northwestern Mutual

Interview Question – none really   Answer Question

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process is intense. They will try to scare you out of this business because very few people actually make it. They want to save the expense of training and licensing you if you aren't cut out for it. There were multiple interviews, fingerprinting, personality profiles, and out of area training. You will be sent to Richmond for 3 weeks to do a pretty intensive training.

Interview Question – I can't remember unfortunately.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotation. If you want to make $100,000 then you need to make that in sales. If you want to make $70,000 then you need to make that in sales commissions.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2012.

Interview Details – Who does your natural market/network consist of?

Interview Question – Who is the most successful person you know and why?   Answer Question

Melville, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2013.

Interview Details – It first starts with a basic phone call. They usually find you because they are always recruiting college graduates. Then there are about 4-5 basic interviews with various different members of the company. Basically all about if you know people that will need life insurance.

Interview Question – How will you find people to acquire insurance.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Couldn't see myself getting into the insure business and the pay is horrible unless you get lucky.

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Very pleasant people and atmosphere. Very straightforward interview with no curveballs. Laid out the appropriate job requirements along with compensation as well as the hiring process. Everybody at the firm was welcoming and nice, regardless of position or standing. Buildings and offices were very comfortable and well furnished. Overall a very positive experience.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Las Cruces, NM

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – There are 2 interviews total. First they asked about you, your career goals, etc. then they tell you to write down names of the people you know and ask for referals so that when you start the job you can call them. They also asked you to make a presentation about the company and what you know about it

Interview Question – There was no difficult question.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – I had my first interview a few days ago, it took some good 45 minutes, the person who interviewed me was very friendly. Talked to me a brief summary of the company, career opportunity, income structure, trainings and resources that the company has to offer

Interview Question – the questions were basic questions.
Tell me about your last job, what is most important for you in life, why do you want a career at northwestern mutual.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered a second interview, as soon as I was done with an online assessment.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring process itself tends to be very fast paced. I applied through college career center, and was offered a phone interview within few days, and a walk-in interview within a week. Interview very general, they asked me questions about any sales experience, and asked me whether I would feel okay with 100% commission .

Interview Question – Where I would stand 5 years from now   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I would rather feel comfortable with poorly paid job that pays regular salary than 100% commission based job.

DFW, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Wonderful process, it's obvious they are selective in the hiring process. There are 3 interviews, 3 personality profiles, they have you meet with a 1-2 year tenured employee over coffee to talk about any questions that you have that's completely off the record. They give you "market surveys" as a homework assignment, you need to call people that you know to ask financial related questions which will make you realize if you are able to make the necessary types of phone calls to build your practice.

Interview Question – How would you feel to not collect a paycheck for 2 months of your first year if it meant you could make $150,000 in your second year?   View Answer

Morristown, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2013.

Interview Details – Process consisted of three interviews. I was called in to the first interview when one of the recruiters found my resume on career builder. The first interview assess your personality, you meet with the recruiter who called you in. They explain the process in very general terms and explain the rest of the interview process. You then get called back for the second interview with the head of the company/associate company who explained how tough the position is, what to expect and what is expected of you in much more detail. Once that interview is over, you must make a 100+name list of people you know in the surrounding area. This list is called your "Warm Market". They are the ones you are going to call and try to get advice from, get leads/referrals from, and maybe even sell to if there is a need. They make you create the list to see if you are going to be a massive cold caller, or work more with referrals, which has a greater chance of success. Once you have created the list, you are called back for the third interview where they take you through the training process, when you could start, and examine your warm market. If they would like you to join, they offer you the position right there and then and you can either accept or ask for a couple days to decide.

Interview Question – There were two questions.
The first was why do you want to work here?
The second question was: Are you ready to work extremely hard, with no supervision, for the first five years of doing business without knowing if you are going to make a healthy living from it?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Since you are contracted by Northwestern, but have your own business, you are your own boss. you decide on your hours, sick days and vacation time. You can even hire people to work for you if you have the correct income. You receive basic benefits, not dental or vision and all pay is 100% compensation

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual