Northwestern Mutual

2.4

319 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY

I applied through other source – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Invited for initial interview and was given a through overview of the company along with the basic interview questions that one would expect; i.e.. tell us about yourself; why this industry and NWM, etc. Very impressed with the professionalism of the organization and the values of the company. Was explained that the process would be in several stages and that there would be an assessment sent via email to complete.

Interview Questions
  • Did not experience any difficult questions or anything unexpected.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

The interview was very simple, just some basic questions about myself. I do not believe that many who apply and get an interview do not receive an offer. The interview lasted about twenty minutes but I was waiting for about half an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

On-boarding and interview process took 4 months. First a recruiter called and did a phone interview, then they asked me to come in to the office and meet with them. By the time I received an offer, 4 months had passed and I met with 6 different people.

Interview Questions
    • How many people do you know that make $250,000 or more?   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation possible, this was a 100% commission based job. The compensation, benefits and expectations were previously set and not negotiable.

Financial Representative Interview

Process was pretty structured. Was put into contact with a recruiter, then set up an interview. Got through the first one but realized the position was not for me. Interview was pretty formal although the recruiter was really nice. Good interview experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

The interview took about 30 minutes. No hard questions. The recruiter was very nice and tried to keep me relaxed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

There are four interviews. The first one is where you go over your résumé recruiting manager. Then they tell you about how great the job is and how much money you can make. They ask you how many people do you know well (you wouldn't need to be introduced by someone else) in the area. If that number is above 50, then you move on to the next round.

The second round is a personality test to see if you would be personable enough to be a good salesman. Again, if you answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, you move on.

The third part is a meeting with the branch manager. They basically ask the same questions as the hiring manager. Again, answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, and you move on. I started having second thoughts, and didn't get passed this round.

Interview Questions
    • How many contacts do you currently have that you could call and set up an appointment with?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Met a recruiter through a college career fair, and scheduled an initial interview with that recruiter. Initially thought I was interviewing for the Fin Rep position, and it may have been intentionally unclear, but I was actually interviewing for the Graduate Program. Basic questions were asked to assess a good "fit"in first interview, then I was contacted for a second "in-depth" interview and instructed to do a brief presentation. My interviewer did not show up, so I was interviewed by someone else. Following the in-depth interview I was given a quota of 10 market surveys and 15 referrals to complete before my final interview. The employees were generally quite friendly, and the corporate culture is relaxed and fun.

Interview Questions
    • How would your participation in our program benefit our team and Network Office?   View Answer
    • What was the most rewarding/challenging role in your previous work experience, and why?   Answer Question
    • What was your biggest take away from the market survey experience?   Answer Question

Small stipend that would barely cover transportation costs during internship, and no base salary even after going full-time. It was not the ideal market for my career goals.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Your selling insurance. If you want the job your going to get it. I uploaded my resume online and got a call a few days later. Since I was eager for a job I agreed for an interview. Really my first interview was more like an Q&A section. After I shot off a few questions I had about the company and the industry the interview was over and I was asked to come back next week. Since I really didn't have anything lined up I agreed. Met with them the following week where they showed me how much money I could expect to make my first year (heads up to anyone actually thinking about working on straight commission only. The numbers they show you are EXTREMELY unrealistic). I knew the numbers they were showing me was a load of BS since I knew financial advisers are broke their first few years in the industry but i shrugged it off and straight asked for the job after the interview was over. We shook hands and he gave me some papers to sign and BOOM I was a financial representative in a blink of an eye.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you could be good at this job?   View Answer
    This is a straight commission only job. There is no negotiation on pay.

Recruited through a School Career Fair

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult really. They are basically just asking behavioral questions to see if your motivated, and entrepreneurial minded.   Answer Question

After several interviews it became clear that they expect you to build your market entirely by those you know. Your asked to compile a list of 200 people and their contact information, of which you'll be calling each one of them trying to sell them insurance. Some might be okay with that, I wasn't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

applied through college career fair. interview in the next 2 weeks.