Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.4

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Thorough. They conduct 4 interviews with various people around the company. You get a good idea of what it takes to succeed there as well as what they expect of you. Assessments are given throughout the process and they review these with you. You get the sense that they wouldn't bring you back for multiple interviews if they didn't think you were a good fit. That is confidence alone when they bring you on board.

Interview Questions

• What is a major accomplishment that you were proud of, professional or personal, and why?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

After the application process a recruiter reached out to me for a 1-on-1 interview. Afterwards I was called back for a Skype Interview in which they briefly my responsibilities. Got a call back a week later with an offer. They were both very laid back interviews, friendly people that just wanted to get to know your personality.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you're a good fit for this position?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process went very well. The first step in the process was a phone screening. The recruiter asked basic behavioral interview questions. It was a very conversational interview as well. The interviewer was very interested in me but preferred that I applied next year for the same position because they were looking for someone with a little more college experience. The recruiter was really nice and wants to continue to keep in touch throughout this next year.

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Grand Rapids, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

I had one interview, then was asked to complete several surveys. Came in a week later and was offered the position. It was very upfront and simple. Like many others have mentioned, kind of felt like they are just using young people to sell insurance to their families and close friends. I was straightforward with them and said my family members and friends will come to me if they want financial advice, I'm not going to be calling them setting up meetings for the sake of weekly meetings. There are creative ways to find new clients without having your circle start avoiding you. I shared some of my ideas and they seemed to appreciate my honesty.

Interview Questions

• What is your perception of the financial reps you know?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Lombard, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Met the recruiter at my school's career fair. The first interview was a phone interview that took around 30 minutes. The recruiter was very kind, and asked mostly behavioral based questions. Not very hard at all. Asked me about my family and background, and asked me to describe my greatest strengths and weaknesses. After the questions she told me about the company and what I would be doing as a financial representative. At the end she asked me if I had any questions I wanted to ask her. After the phone interview I was scheduled to meet in person with the company near my town.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your school?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Grand Rapids, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

First Interview was just about you background and how you became who you are today. The second interview goes more into depth on if this position will fit your personality and desires. They might give you a marketing survey for some friends to fill out. Very vague process to be honest. They tend to stay away from saying anything to do with insurance sales rather than financial planning. They also do not tell you about the various tests that have to be taken upon hiring.

Interview Questions

• How did previous classmates and friends contribute to who you are today? Are you motivated and willing to put yourself out there?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Avoid if possible, it is not what you expected at all. If you are willing to make cheap money for a few months to build your resume then go ahead. This job combines your daily life and work life, you are always working somehow or another.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Boulder, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a 4 step process that took almost 2 months to complete. You will meet with 4 different people in various positions within the company. You also have to complete market surveys, which they use as an indicator to see if you can do that job. Its a long process, but everyone is pretty nice and helpful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

3 interview process, 1. Very quick 7-10 minute interview with recruiter that is super basic and not very involved, just the most basic info anyone could ask 2. One week later, second interview but this time with college unit director, more involved and given a task to complete by next interview. 3. One week later, third interview and if completed task, interview went well and offer was made the following week.

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Very laid back and didn't discuss the internship very much. Got very off topic and constantly asked for more interviews. Always started interview late. Rushed through interviews. Asked many off topic questions

Interview Questions

• What do you like to do in your free time   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

Pretty basic. They just went through your resume and talked you through their summer internship program. There were no real curve balls. They also asked a lot of behavioral questions, which I assume they use to see if you are a "good fit". The entire process took a whole month. I started off with an in person interview and then two phone interviews before I got an offer. Also there were projects and assignments to complete in between each interview. Very straight forward overall. They want type A people driven by money and success.

Interview Questions

• What other colleges did you apply for and why? What do you like to do in your free time? What is your family background?   Answer Question