Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Milwaukee, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews through the phone concluded with a face to face presentation in the headquarters downtown. The first interview was very broad and asked about personality, the second was more in-depth and asked more thought provoking questions, the third interview was very specific about the internship.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle rejection?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation phase is after you get licensing with the state and very simple since it commissions based. There is essentially no room for negotiations, at least for me.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Denver, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

Three step process. They basically decide if they want to let you proceed to the next step as you work through each interview. Every step I went through was very enjoyable and relaxed. They threw a bunch of numbers and statistics at me regarding what former interns have pulled in during the summer. I chose not to go through with offer as I did not like the way the wanted me to generate leads for their finance products. I let them know this and they seemed shocked that I did not want to proceed with the offer.

Interview Questions

• All the basic questions...Describe yourself, Tell us about your work history, Why do you want to work here, strengths and weaknesses, etc   Answer Question

I chose not to go through with offer as I did not like the way the wanted me to generate leads for their finance products. I let them know this and they seemed shocked that I did not want to proceed with the process. Their compensation for interns is based off the financial products they sell. If no one purchases = you don't get paid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

Pretty basic. They just went through your resume and talked you through their summer internship program. There were no real curve balls. They also asked a lot of behavioral questions, which I assume they use to see if you are a "good fit". The entire process took a whole month. I started off with an in person interview and then two phone interviews before I got an offer. Also there were projects and assignments to complete in between each interview. Very straight forward overall. They want type A people driven by money and success.

Interview Questions

• What other colleges did you apply for and why? What do you like to do in your free time? What is your family background?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Grand Rapids, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

First Interview was just about you background and how you became who you are today. The second interview goes more into depth on if this position will fit your personality and desires. They might give you a marketing survey for some friends to fill out. Very vague process to be honest. They tend to stay away from saying anything to do with insurance sales rather than financial planning. They also do not tell you about the various tests that have to be taken upon hiring.

Interview Questions

• How did previous classmates and friends contribute to who you are today? Are you motivated and willing to put yourself out there?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Avoid if possible, it is not what you expected at all. If you are willing to make cheap money for a few months to build your resume then go ahead. This job combines your daily life and work life, you are always working somehow or another.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Prior to formal interviewing, an applicant completes personality/compatibility surveys via an online portal link provided by the recruiter. If the survey results trend towards the desired profile, then a baseline interview is requested by the recruiter. Professional business attire is required for this role, and you should arrive 15-20 minutes early. Plan on filling out contact/background/family info worksheet, which is provided when you notify reception of your arrival. Typically, one passes through three interviewers, who assume different roles. The recruiter is presenting the corporate history and selling the opportunity for commission-based earnings associated with this role. The second interviewer spends more time on the personality survey results, and in general, tells you repeatedly that it's not an easy job, and what it really takes to succeed in this role. This is the point where you should forget about the income growth possibility, and focus on your own financial reality and fiscal responsibilities, since this is a commission-based role, and the sales cycle can often be lengthy before you get paid. If not at all deterred by the second interviewer's disclosures, then you may be a good candidate. The final interview is with the managing partner of the office, and is mainly an evaluation of interpersonal and listening skills during the interaction, which are highly integral to the job role. Overall, I felt it was very deliberate, thorough, and well planned interview process.

Interview Questions

• Approximately how many personal and/or business related individuals do you have contact information for currently via social media networks, business networking, and your personal contacts?   2 Answers

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

The process is smooth and comfortable. The whole interview is very much like a conversation. If you go the next round they will give you actual homework to do before the next one. Work usually involves going out and surveying people. Be ready to actually step out of your comfort zone and your house to land this job. The job is also mainly sales based so make sure that is something you want to do before you proceed.

Interview Questions

• The questions are mainly behavioral. Almost no technical question.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Asked me what are my ultimate goals in life, what were my acheivements, how did I learn from my previous mistakes in life, describing myself and my personality. All the questions where quite general and the interview was a good chunk of time, like 45 minutes but that was the first round and it was on the phone. Further interviews were in person and assigned us projects of who to call & your networks.

Interview Questions

• See above, general interview questions, not really lots of surprises i'd say.   Answer Question

better off somewhere else.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Mine was three rounds and met with different branches. Not too difficult but they disguised the fact you're job is simply to sell life insurance to friends and family. The first round was behavioral and the second more just telling you what you'd be doing if you take the job.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

They came to a job fair at my college, where they gave general information about the company. Then I was later contacted by a recruiter to come to an interview, I had the interview, which went on for about an hour + . Then I was told that I would be sent an online survey to complete

Interview Questions

• Where do you see your self in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • If there was a snow storm and a client wanted to meet, what would you do and why?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

invited me in for an information session and explained the company and what it was about. To me it seemed like a scam exploiting my friends and family try to sell insurance to them. Didn't bother compiling a list and looked for an internship somewhere else

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any questions, just an info session   1 Answer