Northwestern Mutual

241 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Boise, ID

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2012.

Interview Details – 3 part, basic interviewing process. They say it's rigorous, but it was just like any other job interview process.

Interview Question – No difficult or even behavioral questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. You work straight commission.

Financial Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Phone interview with recruiting director with subsequent face-to-face interviews with management. They were revamping their hiring processes when I left, so things might be quite a bit different now. If you're a career changer, expect to do market surveys to see how comfortable you are with the industry. The main thing they're looking for is how presentable you are and how good your oral communication skills are.

Interview Question – Market surveys   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You're contracted as an Independent Contractor and paid commission with standard bonuses and benefits, so nothing is really negotiable.

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2009.

Interview Details – Question - Do you consider yourself lucky?

The question is designed to see if you think you've had success in life all on your own, or if you feel like you've had help along the way.

Interview Question – Nothing terribly unexpected. They don't want to throw you off - they want to get to know you.   Answer Question

Paramus, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2012.

Interview Details – Met with the company at a career fair and appeared to be a legitimate finance position. I scheduled an interview in my area and went there only to find out that it was basically a sales position. If sales is what you are looking for it would be a resume builder, but thats about it. They asked a few behavioral questions (biggest strength and weakness) and then they wanted me to come back with a list of 100 names of friends and family to begin calling them and asking about their life insurance policies.

Interview Question – There really wasn't anything surprising, but if I had to pick a hardest question it would be "how would you respond if a customer says they don't want to change their policy?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't want to call family and friends all day to offer life insurance and retirement plans

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – The interview process was a very lengthy and sometimes annoying process. It involved many trips to the office for separate meetings that, in my opinion, could have been scheduled all at once to reduce the number of trips significantly. However, the people there are absolutely awesome. I had never actually enjoyed an interview before I met with Northwestern. They really made an effort to get to know you on a personal level; and the interview felt much more conversational and natural. The only advice is to be yourself and really express your desire to help others.

Interview Question – Name one time in your life when you failed at something. How did you overcome that failure?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Compensation is 100% commission-based for everyone.

Very Easy Interview

Financial Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted a little ways after applying - was told about the position on the phone. Came for a interview with the HR contact/recruiter. Next came an interview with the person who would be my "coach"/boss. They want to make sure you are independent, social, accountable, etc. If you can show these traits you will probably get hired.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – position is commission

Financial Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2013.

Interview Details – First contacted by the recruiting coordinator. Scheduled a phone interview with this person for basic information (they get to know me and I get to know about the position). This was followed by a face to face meeting with a couple of the upper level management personnel where we were about to learn more about each other as well as get an opportunity to learn about the company and how the position functioned. This was than followed by an interview with the chief development officers 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – They ask you to conduct 30 market surveys in which you ask 12 questions to individual you know and don't know regarding the financial services industry as they relate to them.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had other positions available with company's the offer better opportunity to diversify my portfolio.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter after applying online. I went into the local office for a face to face interview and the interview went well. The office had a great atmosphere and the people who were interviewing me really seemed to want to get to know me on a personal level. The company is great, I just wasn't comfortable with only making commission.

Interview Question – Name a time you were in a difficult situation and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not comfortable with the fully commision based compensation structure.

Financial Representative

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I was recruited through a career fair at my University. I had an on campus interview the next day with a Rep. It was very casual. They want to know about you and see that you have a personality. They want someone with motivation, drive, and an entrepreneur spirit. My second interview was a skype interview with HR. Again this interview was not bad at all. They focus on your personality. They ask about your family and your future goals. They also you to do a Project 100 which is a list of 100 people that you will later prospect. Typically strength and weakness questions.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. At the end they ask you if you have any questions for them.   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Initially spoke with the person in charge of campus recruiting, then the college unit director, then the CUD again.

Interview Question – Fairly straight forward interview. They are looking people who are motivated to learn and willing to put in the long hours each week to succeed. It's a job about personal development and gains, so most anyone can get the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None