Northwestern Mutual

Updated Oct 27, 2014

2.4

311 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Your selling insurance. If you want the job your going to get it. I uploaded my resume online and got a call a few days later. Since I was eager for a job I agreed for an interview. Really my first interview was more like an Q&A section. After I shot off a few questions I had about the company and the industry the interview was over and I was asked to come back next week. Since I really didn't have anything lined up I agreed. Met with them the following week where they showed me how much money I could expect to make my first year (heads up to anyone actually thinking about working on straight commission only. The numbers they show you are EXTREMELY unrealistic). I knew the numbers they were showing me was a load of BS since I knew financial advisers are broke their first few years in the industry but i shrugged it off and straight asked for the job after the interview was over. We shook hands and he gave me some papers to sign and BOOM I was a financial representative in a blink of an eye.

Interview Questions
  • What makes you think you could be good at this job?   View Answer
This is a straight commission only job. There is no negotiation on pay.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Recruited through a School Career Fair

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult really. They are basically just asking behavioral questions to see if your motivated, and entrepreneurial minded.   Answer Question

After several interviews it became clear that they expect you to build your market entirely by those you know. Your asked to compile a list of 200 people and their contact information, of which you'll be calling each one of them trying to sell them insurance. Some might be okay with that, I wasn't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

applied through college career fair. interview in the next 2 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

On campus Interview, Personality assessment, informational interview, practice client interaction and then final interview. Overall the staff and recruiters were really nice and willing to answer questions about the process. They were timely in responding and gave me enough time to respond to the offer. The personality assessment was mainly to see if you like client interaction, and the second to last step really assess if you like calling up people and setting up appointments and talks or not. If you don't like that then you should find a different position.

Interview Questions

I received better offer that was not in sales from another company.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Six step interview process, including career/personality profiles as well as market analysis early on in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Completing the 15 market surveys was more difficult than expected.   Answer Question

Commission job with too much risk for my comfort.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

First met with the Recuiting Manager. Then Took a few easy online assessments. After that was interviewed by managing director. THen asked to complete 15 person market research to see if im still interested in the job

Main focus I felt was just selling to friends and family

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Met the HR rep at a job fair who set me up with an interview. I work in financial services and had never heard of this company before, but what the heck. I have to say this was the weirdest interview I have ever had. The interviewer directed her questions more to my family and personal life than my professional experience - and aggressively so. She suggested that a good place to start a book of business would be to approach my family and friends. Creepy. At least I got a good sense of the high turnover at this company - and I did not even have to ask the question directly. Having worked in an administrative position for a prominent stockbroker years ago, I simply asked how Northwestern assigned walk in clients fairly to its brokers. The answer told me everything I needed to know. They bus the calls to a call center (apparently there are never any walk-in clients) because, and I quote, "We have no idea of how long our new reps will be here."

Interview Questions
    • Recruiter repeatedly asked personal questions about my family and even wanted to know how my son died.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Referred by a friend, he introduced me to a bunch of financial reps and they told me to come to their office for an interview. Sales part of the internship was great, but I didn't like targeting friends and families to sell insurance to them. I felt like they were using me to sell insurance

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

They were very easy to talk to and open to me joining; almost seemed over kill. I think this might have come from their wanting to expand and to get more reps into their business very quickly. However, there were several interviews and a project to work on. Just tell them what they want to hear.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

First of four interviews completed, the first interview seemed to be more of a "how you will fit into the office" rather than trying to find qualifications. I have my second interview today (seemingly very easy to get to the second interview), which looks to be the biggest one of he process, as it is with the Managing Director, as opposed to the first one which was with the recruiter.