Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
280 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2010.

Interview Details – Very thorough, they want to know everything. But, in the end, they just seemed to want to hire everyone willing to work.

Financial Representative

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Met the HR rep at a job fair who set me up with an interview. I work in financial services and had never heard of this company before, but what the heck. I have to say this was the weirdest interview I have ever had. The interviewer directed her questions more to my family and personal life than my professional experience - and aggressively so. She suggested that a good place to start a book of business would be to approach my family and friends. Creepy. At least I got a good sense of the high turnover at this company - and I did not even have to ask the question directly. Having worked in an administrative position for a prominent stockbroker years ago, I simply asked how Northwestern assigned walk in clients fairly to its brokers. The answer told me everything I needed to know. They bus the calls to a call center (apparently there are never any walk-in clients) because, and I quote, "We have no idea of how long our new reps will be here."

Interview Question – Recruiter repeatedly asked personal questions about my family and even wanted to know how my son died.   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Referred by a friend, he introduced me to a bunch of financial reps and they told me to come to their office for an interview. Sales part of the internship was great, but I didn't like targeting friends and families to sell insurance to them. I felt like they were using me to sell insurance

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Representative

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – First of four interviews completed, the first interview seemed to be more of a "how you will fit into the office" rather than trying to find qualifications. I have my second interview today (seemingly very easy to get to the second interview), which looks to be the biggest one of he process, as it is with the Managing Director, as opposed to the first one which was with the recruiter.

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Resume submission followed by an online work preference survey, which asks candidates to rank personality descriptions from "that's me" to "not at all". Qualified candidate will be invited for a onsite interview at one of the groups that is hiring. Interview mostly includes basic questions with relatively fewer technical questions.

Interview Question – What will you bring to the company.   View Answer

Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter and agreed to come in for interview. Asked series of scripted questions, but many were standard questions asked in most interviews. Was also asked questions about family, network, etc. for obvious reasons. What threw me off was getting asked for 5 people whp may also be interested in the position as well with names and numbers.

Interview Question – Being asked about my family and their backgrounds.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Comission based

Financial Representative

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Go to information session, set up first round interview with recruiter, then interview with actual Financial Representative.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions. They are very concerned with your network of where you will be working.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – commission based

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details – First Phone Screening went great and called in for an in person interview the next day. Very pleasant and enthusiastic interviewer. Made me feel very comfortable

Interview Question – Name one of your challenges working in a group in the past   Answer Question

Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – There was an extensive interview process that took me about a month or two. The interviewer was very calming and relaxed, it was the best interview experience I've ever had because we treated it like a simple conversation. The most important thing they look for is that you are driven, ambitious, and self-motivated. On top of that you need to be able to hold down a conversation as that is 90% of the job. After the first interview I had to conduct a suitability assessment online, then I had to put together a presentation on myself and why I was a good fit for Northwestern Mutual. After that I had to conduct 15 market surveys to see how well I could prospect referrals and how well I could gather information out of client interviews. After that I had to be certified to sell Life Insurance, Annuities, and Health Insurance in my state of residence and then I had to pass a background check which took awhile and then went to an intensive week of training which has been followed up by weekly product trainings. It was a very good business model, very professionally run and very supportive. It's a lot of work but if you have the opportunity I highly recommend interviewing for Northwestern Mutual, best company I've ever worked for!

Interview Question – Why are you here?   Answer Question

Allston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Interview Details – Went to a career fair, met a representative who reached out the following day through phone to set 1:1 interview.

Interview Question – Very common interview questions: where do you see yourself in 5 years, why are you interested in this position, ..etc   Answer Question