Northwestern Mutual

2.4

288 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, VA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2012.

This is a three interview process. The first interview is a general one (very basic, asking your strengths weaknesses, etc.) done by the campus recruiter. The second one is a little more detailed and done by a financial representative. The third is a presentation you must give to show why they should choose you to intern.

No Negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Recruited through a School Career Fair

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult really. They are basically just asking behavioral questions to see if your motivated, and entrepreneurial minded.   Answer Question

After several interviews it became clear that they expect you to build your market entirely by those you know. Your asked to compile a list of 200 people and their contact information, of which you'll be calling each one of them trying to sell them insurance. Some might be okay with that, I wasn't.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

applied through college career fair. interview in the next 2 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bozeman, MT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bozeman, MT

I applied in-person - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2013.

Asked a few questions and was fairly simple

Interview Questions
    • None really. Going in I knew it was a sales position so was ready for their questions.   Answer Question
    Nothing really. They talked it up like it was the greatest job in the world. However, approximately only 10% of individuals become successful. They shuffle reps in and out without blinking an eye.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

On campus Interview, Personality assessment, informational interview, practice client interaction and then final interview. Overall the staff and recruiters were really nice and willing to answer questions about the process. They were timely in responding and gave me enough time to respond to the offer. The personality assessment was mainly to see if you like client interaction, and the second to last step really assess if you like calling up people and setting up appointments and talks or not. If you don't like that then you should find a different position.

Interview Questions

I received better offer that was not in sales from another company.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Six step interview process, including career/personality profiles as well as market analysis early on in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Completing the 15 market surveys was more difficult than expected.   Answer Question

Commission job with too much risk for my comfort.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

First met with the Recuiting Manager. Then Took a few easy online assessments. After that was interviewed by managing director. THen asked to complete 15 person market research to see if im still interested in the job

Main focus I felt was just selling to friends and family

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wall, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wall, NJ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Originally called in for a one-on-one interview with a recruiter from the company. Had an interview with the recruiter and was offered a second interview two weeks later. I was given an assignment to complete to bring back with me for the second interview. Met with the college director for my second interview and the managing director. I was offered a position after my second interview.

Interview Questions
    • The assignment that I was given from my first interview was to call 5 people that I know and to tell them that I am interested in possibly entering the financial services industry and tell them a little about what the job entails. After, I was told to try and obtain 10 referrals from each of those 5 people I had originally contacted.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2010.

Very thorough, they want to know everything. But, in the end, they just seemed to want to hire everyone willing to work.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Met the HR rep at a job fair who set me up with an interview. I work in financial services and had never heard of this company before, but what the heck. I have to say this was the weirdest interview I have ever had. The interviewer directed her questions more to my family and personal life than my professional experience - and aggressively so. She suggested that a good place to start a book of business would be to approach my family and friends. Creepy. At least I got a good sense of the high turnover at this company - and I did not even have to ask the question directly. Having worked in an administrative position for a prominent stockbroker years ago, I simply asked how Northwestern assigned walk in clients fairly to its brokers. The answer told me everything I needed to know. They bus the calls to a call center (apparently there are never any walk-in clients) because, and I quote, "We have no idea of how long our new reps will be here."

Interview Questions
    • Recruiter repeatedly asked personal questions about my family and even wanted to know how my son died.   Answer Question