Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
272 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details – First Phone Screening went great and called in for an in person interview the next day. Very pleasant and enthusiastic interviewer. Made me feel very comfortable

Interview Question – Name one of your challenges working in a group in the past   Answer Question

Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – There was an extensive interview process that took me about a month or two. The interviewer was very calming and relaxed, it was the best interview experience I've ever had because we treated it like a simple conversation. The most important thing they look for is that you are driven, ambitious, and self-motivated. On top of that you need to be able to hold down a conversation as that is 90% of the job. After the first interview I had to conduct a suitability assessment online, then I had to put together a presentation on myself and why I was a good fit for Northwestern Mutual. After that I had to conduct 15 market surveys to see how well I could prospect referrals and how well I could gather information out of client interviews. After that I had to be certified to sell Life Insurance, Annuities, and Health Insurance in my state of residence and then I had to pass a background check which took awhile and then went to an intensive week of training which has been followed up by weekly product trainings. It was a very good business model, very professionally run and very supportive. It's a lot of work but if you have the opportunity I highly recommend interviewing for Northwestern Mutual, best company I've ever worked for!

Interview Question – Why are you here?   Answer Question

Allston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Interview Details – Went to a career fair, met a representative who reached out the following day through phone to set 1:1 interview.

Interview Question – Very common interview questions: where do you see yourself in 5 years, why are you interested in this position, ..etc   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Applied online via indeed. Was given a call a few days later to come in for an interview. Because I was only in California for a short amount of time, was scheduled my second interview a week later and was offered the position as a financial representative. Overall the interview process was for the most part, pretty standard and straight forward.

Interview Question – How will you grow your book of business?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward. Not too much room for negotiation.

Stamford, CT

I applied online and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – A recruiter contact me almost immediately. Easy interview process.

Interview Question – Everything was fairly predictable. Standard interview questions. Drawn out over 4 face-to-face interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 100% commission. So, no negotiation.

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Easy interviews. 3 in person interview and they ask mostly the same questions. They are looking mostly for people who already have contacts that they can sell to. You also have to take a personality test to see if you are a go getter. The whole position is 100% commission and you have to call your friends and family and ask for referrals. They have you go on practice meetings to ask for more referrals.

Interview Question – What does your market look like?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted a resumé at my University's career fair and got a call back completely at random about a week later. I wasn't expecting the phone call, much less a thirty minute conversation about where I grew up and where I wanted to work, but nonetheless they set me up for an official interview with their recruiting manager--even though I remembered nothing about the company when they called.

The recruiting interview was meant to be in person, but I wasn't able to make it into the office so we set up a phone call. All very basic questions, easy to talk to and no curve balls with a focus on myself instead of the offered job. I then got a call back from the first interviewer and explained that she wanted me to start filling out worksheets basically telling them how many friends I have in the area. It was a strange task and they gave me only 18 hours to do it and got frustrated when I explained that I was traveling and wouldn't be able to. I called them back the next day and told them I was no longer interested in the position, but still have good feelings toward the rest of the company.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Northwestern Mutual?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'm pretty sure I would have gotten the offer seeing where it was going, but the job felt wayyyy too much like selling out my friends and family.

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2012.

Interview Details – Very relaxed, they will try to figure out if you are a fit for the job, and if they think you are, they will sell it to you. Fully consider the position and consequences.

Interview Question – How many people in your network can you call on   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, $4k up front, then 100% commission ongoing

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Interview was very relaxed. Questions were all based on personal experiences. The internship is predicated on obtaining friends, family and contacts to obtain insurance through Northwestern Mutual. Potential clients must fit certain criteria which they present to you. After first round interview you are given a homework assignment to gauge if you can succeed in the role.

Interview Question – Homework assignment to get friends and family to sign up.   Answer Question

Financial Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Was introduced to this through a friend that linked me to a recruiter. Very basic interview questions asking me about my drive, what was important to me, and so on. They also have you take a personality test that is used as an indicator as to the potential of your success.

Interview Question – What is your biggest motivation?   Answer Question