Northwestern Mutual

Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.4

335 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Representative Interview

Phone interview with an HR rep in their home office. Questions are really easy but the assessment is truly complicated. It took hours to finish all the question.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

Friendly interview. Commission based. Kept on about company average is 82,000 a year for their financial reps. Curious what percentage quit before calculating that number. Lot of work before a paycheck arrives. Neutral attitude regarding company. Didn't move forward with position. Culture seemed enjoyable with plenty of support surrounding the office and the advisors. I was looking for more.

Interview Questions
    • She wasn't trying to acquire weaknesses. More of a behavioral interview gauging your interpersonal skills.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

called me for an initial over the phone interview and invited me in for a 2nd interview. guy who interviewed me was real interested in my goals and was really into the hiring process unlike other places i have been to. He was also 25 which made it a little easier for me. set up a time for the third and final meeting right there on the spot.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Very conversational. Must be able to call a lot of people on the phone. Some people just aren't cut out for the job, but if you do well at it you can be VERY successful.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. Very straightforward.   Answer Question
    Simple

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I applied online and within about 2 weeks a received a phone call asking for an interview. During the call she told me about the internship and what is expected. I was at school so I had my interview when I was home for winter break. Really straightforward questions such as your biggest accomplishment and you strengths and weaknesses. They basically make you solicit clients yourself. Seems like the interns do most of the work (why they have 3,400 interns at a time)

Interview Questions
    • Do you know a lot of people that would be in need of financial services?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2014.

I got referred to the company from a different financial representative, and had a initial interview. Four more follow it. Got a second interview. We will see where it goes from here.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied via my university's job board and was contacted the same day to schedule an interview. My first interview consisted of a series of rather basic personality and background questions, with nothing on industry knowledge. My second interview consisted entirely of a pitch from the managing director, I did not answer any questions. I was then given a packet which contained a list of homework assignments which essentially called on me to provide Northwestern with my professional network. It asked me to list people I knew in different industries and from different areas in which I met them (college, neighborhood, etc.). I also had to prepare a self-pitch in which I gave a presentation about why I was a good candidate for the position. They did a very good job of displaying their environment as hard working and ethical, but I ended up accepting another offer.

Interview Questions
    • What are your relationships with your mother and father like?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The process was a little nebulous, as I have a background in sales, but little experience in financial services. They were very clear about the wonderful opportunities available through the company, and it was very appealing to think I could move within any area of financial services that I could want. I was very surprised and turned off by the 100% commission. It was difficult for me to understand exactly what I'd be selling and to whom, however they seemed confident that I would learn all that info in their extensive and comprehensive training.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Very quick and easy because they hire most applicants that can handle themselves in the interview. Network offices do their own hiring and applicants can pretty much choose a "home office." Background check was done before i was hired.

Not a salaried position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Haven, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Haven, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

I found a position in the West Michigan area and was immediately reached out to by two recruiters from two offices. I had two separate phone interviews, a video interview, and then three in person interviews at three offices.

It's not really a job you negotiate for, as the company knows exactly what they are looking for and have a definitive plan for you to follow. You need to earn it.