Northwestern Mutual Financial Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Feb 6, 2015
Updated Feb 6, 2015

2.4

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Initial interview, online personality profile, and an in-depth interview are just a few of the many steps involved in the hiring process. I was given an appointment for an "initial interview" by a recruiter at a job fair. She essentially made her pitch to sell me on the job and the company. She asked me some questions about myself, basically to gauge if I was good fit for the job, and if I should continue to the next step in the process. To get the next step you have to fill out 2 online surveys, which they send you the link to complete from home. One is a personality profile and one is a culture index. Then you get scheduled for an "in-depth" interview with the branch manager. I was sent the links and given an appointment for my in-depth interview, but decided no base salary was a deal breaker so I cancelled the next interview. She made a good pitch, the company and their products sound wonderful, but I just couldn't swallow not have a secure income since I have a family to think about.

Interview Questions
  • Do you have a large network of family and friends living in (insert your city here)? Would you feel comfortable asking them to purchase our products and also ask them for 2 or 3 referrals? If you could change one thing about your current job, what would it be?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2014.

The interview process is very relaxed. They are looking for socially excellent, outgoing people with strong work ethics. They schedule you for sit downs with multiple people in the firm so that you can get a good feel for the work environment and job responsibilities. Following in face interviews they ask you take several personality and skills tests.

Interview Questions
    • There were really no though questions and it wasn't your typical interview style. It felt more like your average day to day conversation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

To many interviews, a lot of paper to tell you who they are and what they do, each interview gives you a closer look at how the succesful candidate has been able to be successful, basically reiterating the importance of having an established potential client base. so if you are not popular, don't have a bunch of friends and family, didn't grow up in or haven't lived in your community for many years, or simply if you're known around town as the one succesful person from a family of trailer trash, there is no need in taking the job because you can't help them grow.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morristown, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morristown, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I met a recruiter through a college networking event. The whole process took about two weeks and consisted of two in-person rounds of interviews. Interview was very straight forward and consisted of very basic questions. I was also told to take a small little survey to assess my personality. It was not going to make / break my chances but it gave them an opportunity to see how I think.

Financial Service Representative Interview

great interview

none

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Initially attended information session in KOP, PA. Offered 2nd interview. 2nd interview had to complete homework, give a presentation about how I would benefit NWM and why I was driven to NWM. Asked a few questions about my resume. Not much behavioral. Offered 3rd interview.

Interview Questions

Still have 3rd inteview coming.

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2014.

Initial communication came from HR after I had given a presentation to local executives. One of the execs was Northwestern Mutual partner and asked for my resume. I had an initial interview with basic questions on personality and lifestyle questions. After the interview was a short survey to see if you were really cut out for the sales position that the job really is. I wasn't and didn't know nearly enough people to sell insurance to. Because of my low score on the survey we mutually agreed to end the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were very similar and quite canned. What was a tough group/teamwork experience? how did you excel in the situation and how could you have done better...? so on and so forth   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Applied on-line, received a call from the recruiter within 48 hours. Had 3 interviews; first with HR manager, then two with the hiring manager. Everything was going great until reading the fine print: Focus was to sell life insurance policies and not what I wanted.

Interview Questions
    • None. They want to know you first as a person first, which was refreshing. They asked you questions on how would you dealwith difficult people   Answer Question

Selling life insurance is not what I was looking for.

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

They sell you on the position by making you think that you are being evaluated. If you can steam a mirror and can write down 250 names on a piece of paper they will "hire" you. They are offering you a contract. You are not interviewing to be an employee.

None. You won't be an employee.

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Enjoyed luncheon with staff from Northwestern's Wilmington, NC office. Spoke with some great staff members including Managing Director, College Unit Director, and their Chief Recruiting Officer. After expressing interest in available positions, I left my contact information. Their recruiter promptly followed up, and scheduled an interview. I arrived and had a pleasant interview experience with a recruiter who asked appropriate questions. After that interview, another interview was scheduled with the College Unit Director. The entire process went well, and I would absolutely work for their office had I not experienced unfortunate family circumstances.

Interview Questions
    • As a non-financial major, "So why are you interested in this position?"   View Answer

After a death in my immediate family, I declined the offer in order to spend time at home, in a different city.