Northwestern Mutual

www.northwesternmutual.com

Northwestern Mutual Financial Service Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Average Difficulty
82 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Albany, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – Initial communication came from HR after I had given a presentation to local executives. One of the execs was Northwestern Mutual partner and asked for my resume. I had an initial interview with basic questions on personality and lifestyle questions. After the interview was a short survey to see if you were really cut out for the sales position that the job really is. I wasn't and didn't know nearly enough people to sell insurance to. Because of my low score on the survey we mutually agreed to end the hiring process.

Interview Question – Most questions were very similar and quite canned. What was a tough group/teamwork experience? how did you excel in the situation and how could you have done better...? so on and so forth   Answer Question

Wilmington, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Interview Details – Enjoyed luncheon with staff from Northwestern's Wilmington, NC office. Spoke with some great staff members including Managing Director, College Unit Director, and their Chief Recruiting Officer. After expressing interest in available positions, I left my contact information. Their recruiter promptly followed up, and scheduled an interview. I arrived and had a pleasant interview experience with a recruiter who asked appropriate questions. After that interview, another interview was scheduled with the College Unit Director. The entire process went well, and I would absolutely work for their office had I not experienced unfortunate family circumstances.

Interview Question – As a non-financial major, "So why are you interested in this position?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – After a death in my immediate family, I declined the offer in order to spend time at home, in a different city.

Long Island City, NY

I applied online and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – To many interviews, a lot of paper to tell you who they are and what they do, each interview gives you a closer look at how the succesful candidate has been able to be successful, basically reiterating the importance of having an established potential client base. so if you are not popular, don't have a bunch of friends and family, didn't grow up in or haven't lived in your community for many years, or simply if you're known around town as the one succesful person from a family of trailer trash, there is no need in taking the job because you can't help them grow.

Interview Question – how would I prospect for business   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Morristown, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I met a recruiter through a college networking event. The whole process took about two weeks and consisted of two in-person rounds of interviews. Interview was very straight forward and consisted of very basic questions. I was also told to take a small little survey to assess my personality. It was not going to make / break my chances but it gave them an opportunity to see how I think.

Interview Question – How do you feel about rejection?   Answer Question

Financial Service Representative Interview

Financial Service Representative

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – great interview

Interview Question – strength and weakness   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Arlington, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on-line, received a call from the recruiter within 48 hours. Had 3 interviews; first with HR manager, then two with the hiring manager. Everything was going great until reading the fine print: Focus was to sell life insurance policies and not what I wanted.

Interview Question – None. They want to know you first as a person first, which was refreshing. They asked you questions on how would you dealwith difficult people   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Selling life insurance is not what I was looking for.

King of Prussia, PA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Initially attended information session in KOP, PA. Offered 2nd interview. 2nd interview had to complete homework, give a presentation about how I would benefit NWM and why I was driven to NWM. Asked a few questions about my resume. Not much behavioral. Offered 3rd interview.

Interview Question – Biggest weakness.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Still have 3rd inteview coming.

Financial Services Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – They sell you on the position by making you think that you are being evaluated. If you can steam a mirror and can write down 250 names on a piece of paper they will "hire" you. They are offering you a contract. You are not interviewing to be an employee.

Negotiation Details – None. You won't be an employee.

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2013.

Interview Details – Lenghty interview process with good results. Market surveys are good indicator of possible success in the industry. Results were mostly positive.

Interview Question – Do you ever get angry?   View Answer

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty laid back. It was basic conversations about what your greatest strengths and weaknesses are. The people at the office seemed pretty fun too work with, and relaxed. The work seemed like it consisted mostly of meeting with clients and conducting cold calls to retrieve business. As a new financial rep, youll sell mostly insurance at the company.

Interview Question – None basic conversational interview   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wanted a salaried positon.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!