Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual Insurance Agent Interview Questions

2.4

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Insurance Agent Interview

contacted me via phone after job fair. They had me go into the office and do a formal interview. After finding out they were going to require me to sell to my family and friends i became disinterested and they continued to call me

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2014.

I met a recruiter from Northwestern Mutual on campus at the career fair, and had an interview the following day. During the interview I was offered a second interview at a Fort Worth branch and never heard anything back. The recruiter informed me that if you are hired, you're paired up with a mentor in your office to meet with once a week to keep you on track.

Interview Questions
    • When everyone you call in a day says "no," what will be your motivation to keep calling and trying to sell insurance?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Received a call and set up a face to face interview within a week of the initial call.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most disappointing experience of my life.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Met with recruiter on campus and then again at office. Everyone was really nice and the entire interview process was very smooth. I decided insurance wasn't the right fit for me and took an offer from a different company.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see the insurance industry going in the next five years?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in July 2013.

They opened a new branch close to where I was living. They brought me into the new branch for the initial interview. It was just the basic "get to know you" interview. I then completed a personality test online before the next step. A week later they brought me back to that branch to speak with the regional manager in a more in depth interview regarding the position. Finally they had me into downtown Pittsburgh for a career day. This was a four hour process where we got to hear about 4 to 5 personal experiences of employees who had been there a while.

Interview Questions
    • Between the second and third interview, they gave out a handbook that required some practice on what the job would entail. This portion of the interview process was the most difficult because you have to step out of your comfort zone.   Answer Question

This is a 100% compensation based job. As my first job, this was just a little to unreliable for me to count on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2012.

Fill out questionaire and discuss answers. There is a 2nd process but I decided not to do it. You have to study for a test, probably to obtain the license but didn't have time to study. Lady was real nice, wasn't intimidating, she real real friendly, offered me coffee and water.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coral Gables, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coral Gables, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2011.

Received a phone all for an interview. Went over resume, asked about myself and my future goals and about past jobs. Recruiter was very pleasant. Then had to take some assessment tests to see if this was really the job for me. Told me that they would like to go to the next step which would be a training seminar and to call back next day to set up.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing hard, just the usual - Think of a hard time where you had an obstacle or an event that you had to come through and overcome. Something along those lines.   Answer Question

Still in school, had other offers available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2011.

This was one of the most long winded, and excruciatingly painful interviews I have ever endured. I was first contacted by Northwestern Mutual after they claimed my contact information at a career fair held at my college. Due to the displacement between my college (NY), and the office I was applying for (Boston, MA), I was first interviewed over the phone. During the phone interview I was asked the typical questions, greatest challenges, biggest failures, etc. After I passed this stage I was asked to come in to a group interview in their Boston offices. I drove the 5 hours from college to their office in Boston and waited in their lobby with several other current college students. Finally we were all ushered into a room with a insurance agent who didn't look entirely excited about the presentation he had likely given a dozen times that month. The presentation was typical of any insurance company, a general run through on the difference between term and whole life insurance packages. After about 45 minutes the sales associate handed out a packets to everyone in the room, and we were told that in order to move to the next round of interviews these packets had to be filled entirely. The packets consisted of ten forms, each of which were three pages long. A single form required you to call a friend of the family, a relative, a former associate - anyone within your social 'circle', and ask them a variety of different questions all of which pertained in one way or another to life insurance. I need not mention what NWM likely does with the countless pages of information they get from the people they don't hire. These surveys also contained a an additional page and a half of questions directed toward you about how you felt about the phone interview and other questions along that nature. The Boston office boasted that they were the only branch that required for 10 of these nightmarish surveys, and I overheard an applicant saying that another branch only required 2. After about 5-6 hours of actual work - plus another 2 hours at least for coordinating these phone interviews, they were completed. ( They require that you meet half these people in person, but since I was displaced from the area in which I was to be expected to sell they made an exception)

Interview Questions

'Cold Calling' friends of the family and other people whom I've grown to respect and admire just to talk about insurance was one of the most degrading experiences of my life. If you value your network of friends, don't turn them over to Northwestern.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2011.

Went through with 3 interviews: two 1:1 and one group. The 1:1 interviews were terribly uncomfortable. I was asked personal questions such as my father's salary, which is completely inappropriate. Extremely persistent with contact. Disliked how I was basically brought in to attract new customers then, following my departure, they were just handed over to a full-time sales representative, even though they stress how "close" you will be getting to these new customers. Required you to get a "license" though it only took one week to acquire. Once licensed, you were out in the real world taking a fine tooth comb to the local area searching for new customers for them - encouraged to ask family and friends. Recruiters seemed to be looking at anyone and everyone, did not appear selective, but did appear very desperate.

Interview Questions
    • What is your father's salary?   Answer Question
    • Do you have family and friends in the area that you can encourage to sign up for our life insurance policies?   Answer Question

Not interested in being a young sales representative, especially not interested in being "used" purely to gain new clientele.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2009.

The interview was great and the HR Recruiter was outstanding. I was asked to two test (1) to identify my abilities and (1) was a Personality test. Apparently, I did not qualify for the position. According to the HR Mgr, she said that I definitely did not fit according to the Personality Test. This is a commissioned based position and one of the questions that was ask was how comfortable I was using my own money to invest into the position. I answered NO and I think this may have done it.