Northwestern Mutual

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Downers Grove, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2013.

Interview Details – The recruiter was super friendly and easy going. Took the edge off right away. I had a lot of sales experience working in several organizations in college so I thought this would be a good transition into a real sales experience. As soon as they started explaining how the leads don't come from the company but from YOUR OWN CONNECTIONS (family, friends, associates) I knew this company only hires people to exhaust them of their connections before they move on to their next victim. No one likes it when your friend or relative asks you to buy insurance. After I blow through all my contacts I'd probably be doing door-to-door. So of course they called me the very next day and asked me to start right away. Pretty much all commission based so if you beg your grandma to buy insurance and she says no, there goes your paycheck.

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions. Describe a conflict you were in and how you resolved it. What's your most recent achievement and why it means so much to you. These questions are all to see if you're persistent and a hard worker despite dealing with frictions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – something about persuading family/friends to buy insurance is a conflict of interest for me

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

Interview Details – They called me and told me to listen to what they had to say in the interview. They basically told me the perks of the job, asked a few questions, and then said that they'd do a second interview if I got an offer

Interview Question – What is a time that you had to deal with diversity?   Answer Question

Wayne, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I got the initial interview by sending in my resume to Northwestern in the hopes of getting a response. After a few weeks, I got a call about a summer position. I couldn't pick up the phone right away, but I called back later when I could. They were nice, but straight business right away. I was not expecting to have the first round of interview when I called back. Luckily, I didn't sound too much like an idiot. They simply asked about my life and points on my resume. They did ask questions such as "What is the proudest moment of my life?", and "What was the most difficult thing you have ever over come". Quite easy, really. I then was told that I will receive, by email, instructions for the next round of interviews.

The next round was filling out a ridiculous questionnaire, that seemed very tedious and almost pointless. On top of that, I needed to create a PowerPoint Presentation, on myself and about the company. The presentation was to see how you were as a public speaker: the presentation itself was useless. After that, I was on to the third and final round of interview. Before the interview, I needed to interview 5 acquaintances about their feelings towards insurance companies and what they look for in an insurance salesman. This was the most difficult part for me, but it was the most informative. Finally, I had a sit down with the recruiting manager (who was really into himself), and just had a small chat. Nothing really more than a "getting to know you"

Interview Question – What was the most difficult obstacle you had to face in your life, and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was an Econ major and I was offered a position at an Economic Development Council.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!