Northwestern Mutual

Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.3

137 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

I was given a two stage interview. The first was largely behavioral and I was sent home with a "homework" assignment to find 100 potential clients. I did not feel comfortable asking my parent's friends for contact information to be cold called for policies so and declined the second interview.

Interview Questions
  • All very straight forward questions. i.e. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2012.

Well. I thought this was one of the best interview processes i've ever experienced at the LA office. They were extremely friendly, and experienced at interviewing. I enjoyed it however I didn't take the job.

School

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Tulsa, OK

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2013.

Seemed to be more of a sales pitch than an interview. Discussed how interns could potentially make money and how that would bleed over into a potential job. However, did not seem clear exactly how the incentive structure was aligned.

Interview Questions
    • Providing contacts for sales leads during the interview.   Answer Question

Accepted different position

Intern Interview

interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

I first received a phone interview from a recruiter, fallowed by an in person interview with a previous top intern. They want a list of 100 to 200 names of potential clients before the intern starts. I wasn't interested.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were basic tell me about yourself questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Three interviews. All very easy and laid back. Was basically offered the position immediately. This is a good experience for kids who don't need the money to work. They really want you to succeed because if you do they make lots of money. They have flawed methods of trying to build networks. Just using friends and family is not the way to go.

All commission. Not very good experience unless you want to sell life insurance which by itself isn't that lucrative.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Had an over the phone screening. Asked to make sure I was interested in the position. Face to face meeting lasting an hour. Asked basic questions such as where do you see yourself in the company etc. Also asked my business plan and who I would call in the area.

Interview Questions
    Nothing is really negotiable.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Mostly just providing information about what NWM does. It was not a very good interview process because they are asking you to basically cold call your friends and family and try to sell them insurance. If you want to call your college aged friends to sell them life insurance then this would be great.

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

3 step process, pretty straight forward, Got the internship and accepted. Room to be extremely successful if you set your mind to it. I met with the partner of the firm and he was a really laid back guy. Gave me stats on salary percentage of the office, I was blown away and motivated to pursue my career here!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, mostly straight forward interview based questions.   Answer Question
    They congratulated me, and I met with the partner of the firm, really cool guy and look forward to meeting him more then once.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2013.

They were easy to communicate with and were easy with scheduling an interview that fit my schedule. I had 3 interviews, which felt unnecessary as the first two were the exact same asking very basic questions. They basically had me read my resume to them and explain it. On the third interview they didn't ask any questions, instead they explained to me what they wanted me to do before the 4th interview. They wanted me to interview 5 people and give their names, phone numbers, and what they do for a living. They also wanted me to ask them questions about how much they make, who is their financial advisor, are they happy with their advisor, and 5 names and numbers of people they thought could benefit from Northwestern Mutual's service. This put me off big time. If I had done this as I was instructed, they would have been able to solicit 30 of my family friends for business and would have known a good bit about their financial situation. The main thing that put me off about this is that then and only then would they have considered me for the internship position. I talked it over with my parents and politely told them no thank you.

Interview Questions
    • As stated above, they asked me to interview 5 people to get their names, phone numbers, occupation, who their financial advisor is, and if they are happy with their current advisor. The last question is to get 5 names and numbers from them of people they think could benefit from our service.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

It was a pretty easy interview, but afterword you are given an assignment to complete where you must interview people about their financial information. After this there will be another interview/ presentation.

Interview Questions

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!