Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
134 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

Interview Details – I first received a phone interview from a recruiter, fallowed by an in person interview with a previous top intern. They want a list of 100 to 200 names of potential clients before the intern starts. I wasn't interested.

Interview Question – Questions were basic tell me about yourself questions.   Answer Question

Wilmington, DE

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Three interviews. All very easy and laid back. Was basically offered the position immediately. This is a good experience for kids who don't need the money to work. They really want you to succeed because if you do they make lots of money. They have flawed methods of trying to build networks. Just using friends and family is not the way to go.

Reason for Declining – All commission. Not very good experience unless you want to sell life insurance which by itself isn't that lucrative.

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Had an over the phone screening. Asked to make sure I was interested in the position. Face to face meeting lasting an hour. Asked basic questions such as where do you see yourself in the company etc. Also asked my business plan and who I would call in the area.

Interview Question – Asked who I knew and who was influential to me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing is really negotiable.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Interview Details – Mostly just providing information about what NWM does. It was not a very good interview process because they are asking you to basically cold call your friends and family and try to sell them insurance. If you want to call your college aged friends to sell them life insurance then this would be great.

Intern

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – 3 step process, pretty straight forward, Got the internship and accepted. Room to be extremely successful if you set your mind to it. I met with the partner of the firm and he was a really laid back guy. Gave me stats on salary percentage of the office, I was blown away and motivated to pursue my career here!

Interview Question – Nothing, mostly straight forward interview based questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They congratulated me, and I met with the partner of the firm, really cool guy and look forward to meeting him more then once.

Baton Rouge, LA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2013.

Interview Details – They were easy to communicate with and were easy with scheduling an interview that fit my schedule. I had 3 interviews, which felt unnecessary as the first two were the exact same asking very basic questions. They basically had me read my resume to them and explain it. On the third interview they didn't ask any questions, instead they explained to me what they wanted me to do before the 4th interview. They wanted me to interview 5 people and give their names, phone numbers, and what they do for a living. They also wanted me to ask them questions about how much they make, who is their financial advisor, are they happy with their advisor, and 5 names and numbers of people they thought could benefit from Northwestern Mutual's service. This put me off big time. If I had done this as I was instructed, they would have been able to solicit 30 of my family friends for business and would have known a good bit about their financial situation. The main thing that put me off about this is that then and only then would they have considered me for the internship position. I talked it over with my parents and politely told them no thank you.

Interview Question – As stated above, they asked me to interview 5 people to get their names, phone numbers, occupation, who their financial advisor is, and if they are happy with their current advisor. The last question is to get 5 names and numbers from them of people they think could benefit from our service.   View Answer

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – It was a pretty easy interview, but afterword you are given an assignment to complete where you must interview people about their financial information. After this there will be another interview/ presentation.

Interview Question – There were no questions that were too difficult.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – The interview was very laid back and simple. Most of the questions were easy and more behavioral based. They ask questions about your extended network of potential clients. The interview takes place at the NWM office, and if you're accepted they send you a project 100 assignment which makes you fill out prospective information about your family and friends. Second interview is after that and pretty similar.

Interview Question – What can you bring to this company.   Answer Question

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Called to set up in person interview with manager, once they decided if you were a possible fit, they scheduled another interview with a manager to gage your interest and see if you were the right fit.

Interview Question – basic question, asked about background and future aspirations.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Unpaid.

West Hartford, CT

I applied in-person and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I was approached at an internship fair by a recruiter. Then had an interview with the recruiter I had met. It was very conversation based and the environment seemed very welcoming. From there, I was asked to complete a series of interviews about various peoples' financial information that I was supposed to present to a board of people.

Interview Question – What is my ideal work environment? Why?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I found another position that more suited my needs. In addition, I did not like the idea of soliciting my family members and close friends for their financial information.

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!