Northwestern Mutual

Getting the Interview

127 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – It was a pretty easy interview, but afterword you are given an assignment to complete where you must interview people about their financial information. After this there will be another interview/ presentation.

Interview Question – There were no questions that were too difficult.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – The interview was very laid back and simple. Most of the questions were easy and more behavioral based. They ask questions about your extended network of potential clients. The interview takes place at the NWM office, and if you're accepted they send you a project 100 assignment which makes you fill out prospective information about your family and friends. Second interview is after that and pretty similar.

Interview Question – What can you bring to this company.   Answer Question

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Called to set up in person interview with manager, once they decided if you were a possible fit, they scheduled another interview with a manager to gage your interest and see if you were the right fit.

Interview Question – basic question, asked about background and future aspirations.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Unpaid.

West Hartford, CT

I applied in-person and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I was approached at an internship fair by a recruiter. Then had an interview with the recruiter I had met. It was very conversation based and the environment seemed very welcoming. From there, I was asked to complete a series of interviews about various peoples' financial information that I was supposed to present to a board of people.

Interview Question – What is my ideal work environment? Why?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I found another position that more suited my needs. In addition, I did not like the idea of soliciting my family members and close friends for their financial information.

Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very laid back. I got in contact with the recruiter and set up an interview at a local office. At the interview the recruiter was very nice and I basically just walked her through my resume. The behavior questions were just the typical, leadership, teamwork, conflict.

Interview Question – Nothing was very difficult in this interview. One of the more easy ones.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call a few days later probing my interest in the position. Ended up some what knowing the recruiter. Asked to do a few personality/job fit questionnaires. After completing this portion, got a call a few days later for a more in depth interview. Asked if I would commit to an in person interview with a HR manager, turned it down as I had come across other opportunities and was not that interested in commission based pay.

Interview Question – Was probed about family and friends info. NWM extracted info from me to recruit friends, and wanted to know if they were also interested in buying insurance plans etc.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – College recruiter was very welcoming. Asked basic questions such as background, experience, education, and why you'd be interested in interning as a financial representative. Overall, the first interview was very pleasant and made it seem like a very nice place to work because everyone is suited up. Second interview was with the actual team manager the intern would be working under. Again, similar interview but this time made the career as a financial rep sound very promising, and that may or may not be true.

Interview Question – What would happen if you were to walk out of this room and something happened to you?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – They called me on the phone really early in the morning, seemed like a test to see whether I could think on my toes or not.

Interview Question – Would you rather have me give you 1 dollar every day for the rest of your life or 1000 dollars right now.   View Answer

Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – Definitely seems like a great place to work and a great community. First interview was solely behavioral with barely even a focus on my resume. Second interview was also more about the company than me as a candidate. Throughout the interview process Northwestern did a great job of communicating exactly what they do as a company and what I would do as an intern.

Interview Question – No technical or difficult questions.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2010.

Interview Details – They Came to a career fair at my school, went to there new york city office which looks great.
there was a phone interview and 2 more interviews in which they explained that you need to get a 100 referrals for the company and use those as leads to generate progress for yourself during internship.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at northwestern mutual   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Did feel that field was for me.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual Intern interview questions and advice. All 127 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.