Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
133 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call a few days later probing my interest in the position. Ended up some what knowing the recruiter. Asked to do a few personality/job fit questionnaires. After completing this portion, got a call a few days later for a more in depth interview. Asked if I would commit to an in person interview with a HR manager, turned it down as I had come across other opportunities and was not that interested in commission based pay.

Interview Question – Was probed about family and friends info. NWM extracted info from me to recruit friends, and wanted to know if they were also interested in buying insurance plans etc.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – College recruiter was very welcoming. Asked basic questions such as background, experience, education, and why you'd be interested in interning as a financial representative. Overall, the first interview was very pleasant and made it seem like a very nice place to work because everyone is suited up. Second interview was with the actual team manager the intern would be working under. Again, similar interview but this time made the career as a financial rep sound very promising, and that may or may not be true.

Interview Question – What would happen if you were to walk out of this room and something happened to you?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – They called me on the phone really early in the morning, seemed like a test to see whether I could think on my toes or not.

Interview Question – Would you rather have me give you 1 dollar every day for the rest of your life or 1000 dollars right now.   View Answer

Charlotte, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – Definitely seems like a great place to work and a great community. First interview was solely behavioral with barely even a focus on my resume. Second interview was also more about the company than me as a candidate. Throughout the interview process Northwestern did a great job of communicating exactly what they do as a company and what I would do as an intern.

Interview Question – No technical or difficult questions.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2010.

Interview Details – They Came to a career fair at my school, went to there new york city office which looks great.
there was a phone interview and 2 more interviews in which they explained that you need to get a 100 referrals for the company and use those as leads to generate progress for yourself during internship.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at northwestern mutual   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Did feel that field was for me.

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Northwestern came to my school with what seemed to be some decent opportunities. As most reviews state, the process is long and probably not worth it.

Interview Question – Most questions were typical interview questions. Just be prepared and know your resume   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Interview Details – Was initially contacted through LinkedIn, and an interview was set up within a day. Everybody was very friendly and the interviews were the easiest Ive had. Simple fit questions. They realize that not many people are interested in selling life insurance to their family and friends, so they recruit just about anybody and make the interview process very easy to get through.

Interview Question – None. Very easy interview.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – If you feel comfortable with cold calling your friends and family to sell life insurance, this is the internship for you. However, this is not finance related at all, like they make it seem, and is almost completely commission. I truly have no idea how this ranked a top internship program.

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Very laid back, no stress interview.

Interview Question – The interview was a conversation really, no "quiz"   Answer Question

McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2013.

Interview Details – -Phone interview
-Interview with two employees
-Interview with 3 managers

Interview Question – What are your strongest skills? How much experience do you have in sales? Go through your resume? Why did you choose the school you attend? How do you think you fit in here?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Part of the interview process is having a list of ten people that would buy their products right now. Naturally they want you to bring in your friends and family.
Bottom line disconcerting.

Seattle, WA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2013.

Interview Details – Great work culture, job interview was not overly difficult, spent time focusing on behavioral habits. Understand how to sell

Interview Question – What is your greatest achievement   Answer Question