Northwestern Mutual Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Nice people. 3 round interview process. First one is a get to know you. Second is where they tell you more about the job and give you some homework. Third, is an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult thing you had to over come in your life?   Answer Question

Not the format of compensation I was looking for.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Greensboro, NC).

Interview

I applied late in the game, so my interview process was expedited. I did two phone interviews. Each 40 or so minutes. First interview, I don't remember many of the questions... I guess they were mostly about logistics, like how often I'd be willing to work and starting dates. Second was with someone who had graduated from my college, and he asked questions about how I'd do in the job-- how would you feel about starting your own business? Are you pretty self-reliant? Are you fine with selling to your friends and family? I made out like I was very extroverted and good at sales and that's what he was looking for. There was also an online personality inventory that would judge you on how closely your personality matches others who were successful at NWM. The internship seemed like it would help the company rather than helping me-- my job would have been to cold-call 200 clients that I would have to find and try to sell them NWM's services. All sales, no client list given. There was a "project" portion of the application process at the end, which I didn't do because the second phone interview made me realize I wouldn't enjoy or do well at the internship. I wouldnt feel comfortable selling NWM to distant family friends!

Interview Questions

The internship was 100% selling NWM to clients that I would have to find myself. I didn't feel comfortable taking a job selling to my family and friends.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

The office seemed very professional and I had a rest interviewer, a very nice guy, and he really sold me on the company, I'm looking forward to an internship with them and and working with this staff.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online by submitting my resume, and was contacted a week or so later by the college recruiter. Came in for an discussion about what working their is like and what the internship program entails. Came back for a second interview to present a power point presentation about why you are a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Find twenty people you could contact during the internship.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted based on my resume on my University's resume book. First interview was just to get to know you. Basic behavioral questions and situational questions. Afterwards, you're given a marketing survey and you have to ask people about their views on health insurance. It's mostly just to get you familiar with talking to people and to see if you can get referrals. None of the numbers you write down are going to be used by any means. They all come back to you for future reference should you like to use them in the future.

Interview Questions

• What were some difficult experiences you went through and how did you overcome them? What is your proudest moment/achievements.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Meet with some of the intern managers and talked about goals. Then presented a presentation about northwestern mutual and the history. Came back for second interview and talked about how to get certafied.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2014.

Interview

My interview process with Northwestern was very relaxed and low-stress. However, this might not be the case for all Northwestern Mutual branches. My first interview was very structured with your typical interview questions and my second interview was more about answering my questions about the internship

Interview Questions

• When you hear the world "sales" what one word comes to mind?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Melville, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

Was requested to come out to Melville office to interview for a spring semester financial representative internship in mid/late December. Met with a young woman who interviewed me. Pretty basic questions. I follow up our interview 1 day later with an email, to which I get an automatic response saying she is out of the office until the first week of January. I never did get a reply from her, and never heard anything at all from them. Very very unimpressed. Even if they did offer it to me, I would not have taken it.

Interview Questions

• We have all had our positive experiences, what is one experience in which you failed?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was very smooth, more of a one on one conversation then a traditional interview. The recruiter I worked with was very nice and offered constructive interview feedback when we completed. (This interview was conducted through a university for the initial purpose of gaining interviewing experience.)

Interview Questions

• Your basic situational questions... Tell me about a time that...   Answer Question

The company's growth strategies are not in-line with my personal values.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Phila, PA) in November 2014.

Interview

I reached out to a current representative with my resume and a cover letter, and got a response quickly. First you go through a weeding out process before an actual interview, where you complete a survey to ensure you fit culturally, create a presentation outlining why they should hire you and how the match would be mutually beneficial. You also have to create a list of 75+ contacts you have to potentially reach out to (they don't use them, its just to see if you're willing to put in the work). Then you have to contact 15 people via phone and talk to them about the position, more or less to see if you're willing to talk to people on the phone about insurance. The actual interview was laid back and more like a sales pitch than anything.

Interview Questions

• How would hiring you benefit the company? What makes you want to get into this industry?   Answer Question