Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
133 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I met them through a job fair about 3 weeks later I got a phone call about an interview.

Interview Question – I was called off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I'm in the process of thinking about it

Evansville, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2013.

Interview Details – First interview with recruiter to get to know me. Very casual and laid back. Second with Managing director a bit more critical.

Interview Question – What has been your most challenging or biggest barrier to overcome thus far in life?   View Answer

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Had to go into 4 different interviews hearing them say that they like new recruits. They want new recruits because they have new contacts that they can exploit.

Interview Question – Are you willing to sell insurance to friends and family?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Meet a recruiter at a career fair and he almost immediately asked for my resume. He actually contacted me after the career fair and asked if I wanted to get together for an informal interview. I meet with him and we talked about the company and what the life of a intern would be. I got the feeling that it would be all sales based and not focused on finance. I did not pursue the internship anymore although I was invited to come back for another interview. They seemed to eager to hire people.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter and told to come into the office for a first round interview. Standard initial screening, then was scheduled for a follow up interview where I was to fill out marketing surveys. The final interview was to make a list of 100 possible clients.

Interview Question – How would you go about asking for referrals from someone who is hesitant?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Did not have a big enough network to sell to.

Very Easy Interview

Durham, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details – Three separate interviews, first one they didn't even ask for a cover letter or resume. Asked for me to give them three potential interns, as if their recruiting just wasn't finding enough people. Second interview was in person, but still didn't even go over a resume. Before getting paid anything, you have to get licensed to sell life and health insurance, and pay to take these tests along with getting fingerprinted twice, and get a copy of your permanent record, all of which you have to pay for out of pocket. The actual Internship consists of cold calling "contacts" and trying to badger them into buying your product. Overall, not an enjoyable internship.

Interview Question – Did not ask any difficult questions, they seemed almost desperate to hire as many college interns as possible   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me a contract, and i told them I wanted to take some time to think about it. It was a backup plan for me, that I fortunately did not need.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details – The company contacted me via email and just asked me to interview with the company in two days. I think if most of my work is involved in making cold calls I will drop it.

Interview Question – Just like walk me through your resume   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details – Interacted at a career fair and was contacted later by a recruiter. Scheduled a first interview that was informational with standard questions like what are your greatest strengths/weaknesses. The second interview was based on a presentation covering the financial services industry and northwestern mutual. The third is an assignment involving the demonstration and experience of networking and financial interviewing.

Interview Question – What do you know about the financial services industry and what are your opinions on the topic.   View Answer

Edison, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I met with a HR rep at the place. It was mainly behavioral questions and questions to get to know you.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Interviewed for LA branch via phone (I'm in SF Bay Area). Friendly interviewer, being able to hold a good conversation was key to success. After initial interview, I was asked to do a sort of Myers-Briggs test online.

Interview Question – Myers-Briggs test.   Answer Question