Northwestern Mutual

Updated Dec 13, 2014

2.2

150 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

1 Group Information session.
2 One on one interview part 1
3 One on one interview part 2

Interview Questions
  • What will you contribute to us? What will we contribute to you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Mostly just providing information about what NWM does. It was not a very good interview process because they are asking you to basically cold call your friends and family and try to sell them insurance. If you want to call your college aged friends to sell them life insurance then this would be great.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

3 round interview mostly behavioral. I was asked to take a personality test that had nothing to do with qualification or knowledge of the position. I was offered the position during the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • Some math questions based on company charts.   View Answer

Didn't want a commission salary

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Pretty standard: phone call, bring you to the office, but then practice calling people and asking questions. This last one gives you a real feel if you want to do the job or not.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The interview process consisted of 3 rounds. I conducted 2 of mine via skype since I was located in a different city. The interviewers were very friendly and passionate about their work. The 3rd round was in the Houston office. Once again, the interviewer was very friendly and passionate. She showed me the office, which was very nice, and finally sat down with me for a 30 minute interview.

Interview Questions
    • All of the interview questions were behavioral. I do not recall what the exact questions were since i interviewed about two years ago, but they were all straight forward behavioral questions (i.e. weaknesses, working on a team, working individually, hard experience with team member, goals in life, etc) Both of the skype interviews were similar, but were also informational about the job requirements, describing their own experience, and discussing the next steps.   Answer Question

I did not like the idea of having to ask personal family members about their life insurance policies. I did not want to have to sell insurance to my close friends and family.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I met them through a job fair about 3 weeks later I got a phone call about an interview.

Interview Questions
    I'm in the process of thinking about it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evansville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evansville, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2013.

First interview with recruiter to get to know me. Very casual and laid back. Second with Managing director a bit more critical.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your most challenging or biggest barrier to overcome thus far in life?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Had to go into 4 different interviews hearing them say that they like new recruits. They want new recruits because they have new contacts that they can exploit.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to sell insurance to friends and family?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Meet a recruiter at a career fair and he almost immediately asked for my resume. He actually contacted me after the career fair and asked if I wanted to get together for an informal interview. I meet with him and we talked about the company and what the life of a intern would be. I got the feeling that it would be all sales based and not focused on finance. I did not pursue the internship anymore although I was invited to come back for another interview. They seemed to eager to hire people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2013.

Interview process was three steps. FInal interview required 150 contacts to use in the beginning of the internship

Interview Questions
    100% commission based internship.