Northwestern Mutual

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.4

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Went through three rounds of 1 on 1 interviews with the college recruiters. The company is looking for competitive personalities. Before the last interview, you are required to get information from friends and family that will later be used as a base for your first potential clients.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions. Just basic questions about you and your resume.   Answer Question
    None

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Applied online. Had a phone interview first and then an in-person interview. Very straightforward, talked further about my resume and asked a few questions about the internship. Then they asked me to meet a person higher up the ladder and prepare a powerpoint presentation on why I wanted to work there. They never ended up asking me to present one. The third and final interview was face-to-face and a short 20 minute discussion after which they usually offer you a position.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. Just prepare a little about the insurance and wealth management industry.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Was more of a sales pitch to me rather than an interview. Seems like they take any person who applies off the street and hands them a job. Also gave me a packet to write down 100 names of friends and family that I would later be trying to sell insurance to. Bad gig in my opinions.

Interview Questions
    • There were very few questions, maybe 2 questions off my resume.   Answer Question

College Financial Representative Interview

Went to the first interview. It was very basic and friendly. They just wanted to get to know you before the second interview. There are a lot of questions that require you to use adjectives to describe yourself.

not for me

Intern Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The office seemed very professional and I had a rest interviewer, a very nice guy, and he really sold me on the company, I'm looking forward to an internship with them and and working with this staff.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

They do not provide sponsorship for work visas. The interviewer was friendly and asked basic behavioral questions. The inter viewer asked to walk through the resume and asked about skills I mentioned on my resume.

Associate Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

-You do a test to see if you're suitable for the position
    -If the hiring agent likes you, they will give you a chance.
    -Come professionally dressed and make sure you look the hiring person in the eye. Since they are in sales they know how to read body language pretty well. Show confidence in order to not get low-balled on the negotiations.
    -They will ask for your resume/cover letter beforehand so they can form questions for the interview.
    -If you pass you will most likely be asked to start within a day or two since assistants have a high turnaround agents are always looking for new ones. They want to focus on sales and have you take care of the underwriting, service, and case prep or analysis of funds (depending on your registration status).

Interview Questions
    You have a little wiggle room but not a lot. You will most likely be able to negotiate 2-3k more but it all depends on the success and experience of your agent.

Financial Representative Interview

4-part Interview. The interview process is more of a conversation around if this would be a mutual fit. Completing surveys with potential clients allows you to determine if you have the skills to network. You meet with several people/current reps who have had success in the business so that you can hear both sides of the storey.

Interview Questions
    • "How do you think people view you from a professional standpoint?"   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Too many interview questions. They make you take an over 100 question personality test before they even talk to you about the job..then they ask for the names and phone numbers of "close contacts" you have aka to try to gain sales.

Interview Questions
    • I feel very pressured having to make sales quotas as my sole source of income.   View Answer

Not enough money. Didn't wanna work for 100% commission after getting my finance degree and an MBA...

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2015.

Applied online by submitting my resume, and was contacted a week or so later by the college recruiter. Came in for an discussion about what working their is like and what the internship program entails. Came back for a second interview to present a power point presentation about why you are a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Find twenty people you could contact during the internship.   Answer Question