Northwestern Mutual

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Baton Rouge, LA

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2013.

Interview Details – They were easy to communicate with and were easy with scheduling an interview that fit my schedule. I had 3 interviews, which felt unnecessary as the first two were the exact same asking very basic questions. They basically had me read my resume to them and explain it. On the third interview they didn't ask any questions, instead they explained to me what they wanted me to do before the 4th interview. They wanted me to interview 5 people and give their names, phone numbers, and what they do for a living. They also wanted me to ask them questions about how much they make, who is their financial advisor, are they happy with their advisor, and 5 names and numbers of people they thought could benefit from Northwestern Mutual's service. This put me off big time. If I had done this as I was instructed, they would have been able to solicit 30 of my family friends for business and would have known a good bit about their financial situation. The main thing that put me off about this is that then and only then would they have considered me for the internship position. I talked it over with my parents and politely told them no thank you.

Interview Question – As stated above, they asked me to interview 5 people to get their names, phone numbers, occupation, who their financial advisor is, and if they are happy with their current advisor. The last question is to get 5 names and numbers from them of people they think could benefit from our service.   View Answer

Financial Representative Internship Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty laid back. Basic interview questions like explain strengths and weaknesses. Also explain a time where you had to be a leader. And the mostly just going through the packet and learning about the company. It was a pretty easy interview to say the least?

Interview Question – What do you know about the investment side of Northwestern Mutual?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Intern Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

Interview Details – They called me and told me to listen to what they had to say in the interview. They basically told me the perks of the job, asked a few questions, and then said that they'd do a second interview if I got an offer

Interview Question – What is a time that you had to deal with diversity?   Answer Question

Financial Representative - College Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2014.

Interview Details – Met at a career fair and from then on just worked out fine. they invited me to an info session and then i had 2 interviews after that. the interviews went smooth and were casual.

Interview Question – mostly they give out little home work assignments, survey and such   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – since it is commission based no.

Very Easy Interview

Financial Representative Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through my college career portal, and received a phone call approximately 3 days later. The first phone call was considered an interview, which consisted of pleasantries and some base information about the company. From there I was invited to a 2nd interview (group interview) which consisted of other prospective interns. The 2nd interview was less about engaging with the interns, and further education on what Northwestern is and what it expects from interns. Shortly after the group interview I was invited back for a 3rd interview, and was e-mailed a personality test. The 3rd interview was all about the intern, and finding out from the recruiter if you fit in with the company. I was also assigned a project; or a "Market Survey." The point of this is to gauge how others feel about you as a financial representative, and finding out how comfortable you are at asking friends/family for referrals. At the 4th interview I met with the intern captain, and that person had the final say on bringing me aboard. From this point you start the official job application, and begin studying for the life insurance state exam. The cons: This is a commission based job, and as such it will require you to roll up your sleeves and work hard. The Pros: You can get many licenses while in college, and your hard work is rewarded. If you think this job is for you then please examine your business attire, the other students came in looking sloppy. Perception is reality and first impressions set the tone.

Interview Question – The whole interview process was very informal, so just brush up on common interview questions.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – First met with the Recuiting Manager. Then Took a few easy online assessments. After that was interviewed by managing director. THen asked to complete 15 person market research to see if im still interested in the job

Reason for Declining – Main focus I felt was just selling to friends and family

College Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I met a NWM recruiter during the career fair on campus. I was almost immediately contacted for a interview. I went through three separate interviews with three different people; never as a panel. The interview questions were not difficult, or unexpected. The hiring process took at least a month; before I was officially hired I had to become Life and Health licensed which took an additional two or three weeks.

Interview Question – How would you approach someone you know (family, friends, etc.) about purchasing life insurance?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since this was an internship there was no negotiation.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Was contacted through a phone call. Interview was very professional with straight forward questions. I felt that alot of the questions were geared toward my interactions with other people. This can be as expected though since it was for a advisory position.

Interview Question – Alot of the questions were straight forward.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not the best fit

Financial Advisor Intern Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – The interview is very easy and outgoing, mostly just questions based on your experience and knowledge. I would say there're 2 interview steps, but the meeting is 3.
First one is with the recruiter, he/she wants to get to know you better, easy questions, mostly ask about yourself and your previous experience, do some research about the company and what do you think the job is.
Next interview is with a higher up person, he/she will then talk to your more in depth about the job. Do some research and ask the interviewer as much questions as you can. If he/she likes you, then you get an assignment. Nothing too hard, you just have to meet at least 5 people, ask some questions (about yourself). It's not graded or anything, so take it easy. You come back in the next meeting, show it to that person and you talk a little bit more.
If they think you're qualified for the job, they'll give you a call in a couple days

Interview Question – Nothing to difficult. It's straight forward and really easy. It's mostly from your own experience   Answer Question

Financial Representative Internship Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring process was delightful, great interviews, recruiter was friendly outgoing and very down to earth, however they do not exactly paint a clear picture of the type of work that you will be doing. I discovered what it entailed through research online and friends. I acknowledged and questioned what I had heard and they continued to insist that there were no cold calls, however the requirements were VERY similar to a pyramid scheme in MY opinion. First was a one on one interview, second was a group interview with 5 other students from my school, we were all granted to go on to the third step. At this point we were given assignments to provide a huge spiderweb chart of all of our friends, family, associates, colleagues, coworkers, cousins, strangers etc. anyone you knew (basically the beginning step to building your client list). As I do respect that some people do like this type of work, I felt as though their depiction was less than professional considering its lack of accuracy as they insisted that meetings were casual, and almost portrayed as if they would provide a start up client list. You start from scratch, as any wonderful opportunity with a limitless ceiling for income, you have to start everything from scratch. Company is VERY reputable, overall great interview experience, it is their job to make everything sound appealing however be sure to do your research. Because my personality is not quite the type to be satisfied with cold calling and hounding my friends and family to buy life insurance, I did not accept the position. I do have friends that are very successful in the company it depends on whether or not this is your type of work.

Interview Question – What type of people do you know that would be of benefit to NWM? (unexpected question)   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not my type of work

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual interview questions and advice. All 776 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.