Northwestern Mutual

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Provo, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2013.

It is a three step process. They met with me with my resume in hand and asked me questions about myself. No difficult questions since they were all about my personality. Based on what I have seen, they do not turn down many people if you are willing to put in the hard work as a financial representative.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2013.

Phone call, complete test, 2 in person interviews. Seems like they'll take anyone. The internship seems more like a scam in which they want to exploit interns for their contacts (aka family and friends).

Not worth the trouble

Intern Interview

I was given a two stage interview. The first was largely behavioral and I was sent home with a "homework" assignment to find 100 potential clients. I did not feel comfortable asking my parent's friends for contact information to be cold called for policies so and declined the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • All very straight forward questions. i.e. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Office Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edina, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN

I applied online - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2014.

I found the position online, applied by email with my resume and cover letter and was asked for an initial phone interview the same day. The phone interview was about 15 minutes and I was asked to come in for a one on one interview. I was sent a short online survey to take before the interview to determine personality traits. The in person interview was structured and laid back, but very professional. I was asked questions that were about my personality and based on a previous situation. Overall it was a great interview

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question that I got was asking what my core values were. Not necessarily a hard question, it was just unexpected.   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

first stage for interview was behavioral questions. the hiring recruiter just wanted to make sure i had interpersonal skills. entire interview took 30 mins and was very straightforward. the first stage is just to set you up for the next interview where they give you an assignment to complete by next interview.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

A recruiter came to the college I was attending. The head of the insurance department gave my name to the recruiter. I interviewed mainly to get some interview experience. The job was a full commission job and they were going to rely on me to sell insurance to my friends and family to start "my business".

Interview Questions
    • Please provide a list of 100 people you would contact about selling insurance.   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Your selling insurance. If you want the job your going to get it. I uploaded my resume online and got a call a few days later. Since I was eager for a job I agreed for an interview. Really my first interview was more like an Q&A section. After I shot off a few questions I had about the company and the industry the interview was over and I was asked to come back next week. Since I really didn't have anything lined up I agreed. Met with them the following week where they showed me how much money I could expect to make my first year (heads up to anyone actually thinking about working on straight commission only. The numbers they show you are EXTREMELY unrealistic). I knew the numbers they were showing me was a load of BS since I knew financial advisers are broke their first few years in the industry but i shrugged it off and straight asked for the job after the interview was over. We shook hands and he gave me some papers to sign and BOOM I was a financial representative in a blink of an eye.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you could be good at this job?   View Answer
    This is a straight commission only job. There is no negotiation on pay.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2012.

Well. I thought this was one of the best interview processes i've ever experienced at the LA office. They were extremely friendly, and experienced at interviewing. I enjoyed it however I didn't take the job.

School

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I was contacted by this company with them stating that the college I went to, the interviewer was nice and knowledgeable, but it was for a new position and they didn't really know what I would be doing. Kind of a turn off.

Financial Representative Interview

Typically 3 interviews and the second is usually a group interview with a few others to bounce questions and thoughts around and determine if it is a fit. Final interview is where you get the offer.

Interview Questions

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!