Northwestern Mutual

Getting the Interview

774 candidate interviews

Tracy Bannick Interview

Denver, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process started on an on campus event, in which I handed off my resume. Then three days later I was given a phone call and a date for a face to face interview. After the face to face interview, I was given a personality test to determine my skills as a financial adviser then a second presentation interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which a person at work needed your assistance and required your assistance.   View Answer
  • Describe a time when you had to work to achieve a goal.   View Answer

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent
Boston, MA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2011.

Interview Details – This was one of the most long winded, and excruciatingly painful interviews I have ever endured. I was first contacted by Northwestern Mutual after they claimed my contact information at a career fair held at my college. Due to the displacement between my college (NY), and the office I was applying for (Boston, MA), I was first interviewed over the phone. During the phone interview I was asked the typical questions, greatest challenges, biggest failures, etc. After I passed this stage I was asked to come in to a group interview in their Boston offices. I drove the 5 hours from college to their office in Boston and waited in their lobby with several other current college students. Finally we were all ushered into a room with a insurance agent who didn't look entirely excited about the presentation he had likely given a dozen times that month. The presentation was typical of any insurance company, a general run through on the difference between term and whole life insurance packages. After about 45 minutes the sales associate handed out a packets to everyone in the room, and we were told that in order to move to the next round of interviews these packets had to be filled entirely. The packets consisted of ten forms, each of which were three pages long. A single form required you to call a friend of the family, a relative, a former associate - anyone within your social 'circle', and ask them a variety of different questions all of which pertained in one way or another to life insurance. I need not mention what NWM likely does with the countless pages of information they get from the people they don't hire. These surveys also contained a an additional page and a half of questions directed toward you about how you felt about the phone interview and other questions along that nature. The Boston office boasted that they were the only branch that required for 10 of these nightmarish surveys, and I overheard an applicant saying that another branch only required 2. After about 5-6 hours of actual work - plus another 2 hours at least for coordinating these phone interviews, they were completed. ( They require that you meet half these people in person, but since I was displaced from the area in which I was to be expected to sell they made an exception)

Interview Question – What was your biggest failure/success   View Answer

Reason for Declining – 'Cold Calling' friends of the family and other people whom I've grown to respect and admire just to talk about insurance was one of the most degrading experiences of my life. If you value your network of friends, don't turn them over to Northwestern.

College Financial Representative Interview

College Financial Representative
Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2012.

Interview Details – Initial Communication is vague as to what the interview process is or involves, let alone what the job is. Info sessions take place at your school or other similar location, after which you will have the opportunity to sign up for the first of at least three interviews. Know that they are looking at both your character and your behavior. They do not necessarily care about grades, while they do appreciate and respect well earned grades, do not put off an application or pursuit of this program just because your grades are not the best. You should then have two more interviews further exploring your suitability for the job.

Interview Question – The most difficult problem I faced was my indecision. The program demands your unwavering dedication and focus. If you cannot make that commitment, do not expect to get an offer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's an internship, there really isn't much of a negotiation phase given the nature of the program.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative
Colorado Springs, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2009.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter and interviewed. There was an aptitude test required before the interview. After the interview, there was another more thorough aptitude test for personality and sales skills. A score below means there will be no offer. Further interv. with managing director and managing partner, plus informational sessions with 2-3 veteren reps. They require Life and Health + 6 and 63 if you are offered a contract. There is a small stipend during the 3-4 week training process and they reimburse you for a passed test. NMFN is the finest company of its type in the nation but the job is 100% commission and ought to be 90% insurance product sales in the first 2 years in order to make it. They require 2-3 meetings a week, Managing director, mentor, and monday morning accountability sales reporting meeting. The average veteren rep makes 150K+ per year. Top reps make 300-400k.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – none

Financial Representative Interview

Financial Representative
Champaign, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a position in Financial Services. There is a prerequisite that you are able to pass Life, Health, and Disability Insurance state licensing exams. You will not be allowed direct client contact if you cannot pass these exams. You will first be contacted by a recruiter via phone, either for a phone interview or to arrange an in-person interview. There are then second and third round interviews prior to an offer, each with higher ranking employees in the firm. The final interview will be with a Managing Director (typically internships) or Managing Partner (full-time). The firm will cover the cost of the exams, but you will be expected to buy your own study materials. Interview questions were almost all personality and fit, due largely to the fact that they have such a comprehensive training program. There were also company administered personality and IQ tests.

Interview Questions

• Where do you envision yourself in five years? What type of income are you looking for?   View Answer
  • How many hours are you willing to work a week? How would you describe your work ethic?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated expectations. I would advise anyone considering an offer to examine how your personality fits with a role in sales and advisory.

Sales Intern Interview

Canton, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend who is currently in the internship process. They called me and talked to me for about 10 minutes before asking me to come in that week. I set up an interview later that week. I went in and had a very professional and quality interview. After 1 hour and 45 minutes she asked me to come back for another interview which is next week.

Interview Question – What is the definition of courage?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Have not gotten there yet.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty intense. 3 interviews a week apart. First and second interviews were just a screening process if you're smart and have a good personality you will get through them. For the third interview you have to bring in a spreadsheet of 100 contacts and give a presentation saying "why you" and "why Northwestern."

Financial Representative Intern Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through my career center website. I followed up to make sure the Recruiting Director received my resume. Within a week, I was called back to come in and interview. The financial representative spoke about Northwestern Mutual and how my position will fit in the company, asked me behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Do you know what resilience means? Expain one time you were resilient.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Financial Representative
Portland, OR

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Interview Details – Talked with the recruiter at the college career fair. Was put on a list of potential candidates and had a follow up phone interview. Later had to go to the Portland office for a interview with the recruiter and an adviser. Prior to the interview had to complete a personality test as well as a short slideshow presentation giving some background information about myself. About a week after that interview had the second interview with the same people and was offered the position on the spot. After the interview was set up with a background check and information on getting licensed.

Interview Question – Creating a slideshow presentation about myself and the Northwestern Mutual company explaining why i would be a good fit and why i wanted to work for them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little room for negotiation. Pay is commission based with available perks. $1000 for completing the training process and another $1000 for signing 10 policies.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process is a four step process. First is a casual interview, or possibly a phone interview. By casual I mean that they are just trying to get to know you. The first interview concludes with a personality test that takes about thirty minutes and is done online. Second interview is in person and it involves going over the personality test. The end of this interview results in a homework assignment. The homework assignment is 10 surveys that are very general but are the foundation of what you'll be doing as an FSR. Usually a week later the last interview goes over the homework assignment and if all goes well an offer should follow.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, unfortunately. But that's what you get for being a top ten internship.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual interview questions and advice. All 774 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.