Northwestern Mutual

2.4

Tracy Bannick Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2009.

The interview process started on an on campus event, in which I handed off my resume. Then three days later I was given a phone call and a date for a face to face interview. After the face to face interview, I was given a personality test to determine my skills as a financial adviser then a second presentation interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which a person at work needed your assistance and required your assistance.   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to work to achieve a goal.   View Answer

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2009.

I was contacted by a recruiter and interviewed. There was an aptitude test required before the interview. After the interview, there was another more thorough aptitude test for personality and sales skills. A score below means there will be no offer. Further interv. with managing director and managing partner, plus informational sessions with 2-3 veteren reps. They require Life and Health + 6 and 63 if you are offered a contract. There is a small stipend during the 3-4 week training process and they reimburse you for a passed test. NMFN is the finest company of its type in the nation but the job is 100% commission and ought to be 90% insurance product sales in the first 2 years in order to make it. They require 2-3 meetings a week, Managing director, mentor, and monday morning accountability sales reporting meeting. The average veteren rep makes 150K+ per year. Top reps make 300-400k.

none

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2011.

This was one of the most long winded, and excruciatingly painful interviews I have ever endured. I was first contacted by Northwestern Mutual after they claimed my contact information at a career fair held at my college. Due to the displacement between my college (NY), and the office I was applying for (Boston, MA), I was first interviewed over the phone. During the phone interview I was asked the typical questions, greatest challenges, biggest failures, etc. After I passed this stage I was asked to come in to a group interview in their Boston offices. I drove the 5 hours from college to their office in Boston and waited in their lobby with several other current college students. Finally we were all ushered into a room with a insurance agent who didn't look entirely excited about the presentation he had likely given a dozen times that month. The presentation was typical of any insurance company, a general run through on the difference between term and whole life insurance packages. After about 45 minutes the sales associate handed out a packets to everyone in the room, and we were told that in order to move to the next round of interviews these packets had to be filled entirely. The packets consisted of ten forms, each of which were three pages long. A single form required you to call a friend of the family, a relative, a former associate - anyone within your social 'circle', and ask them a variety of different questions all of which pertained in one way or another to life insurance. I need not mention what NWM likely does with the countless pages of information they get from the people they don't hire. These surveys also contained a an additional page and a half of questions directed toward you about how you felt about the phone interview and other questions along that nature. The Boston office boasted that they were the only branch that required for 10 of these nightmarish surveys, and I overheard an applicant saying that another branch only required 2. After about 5-6 hours of actual work - plus another 2 hours at least for coordinating these phone interviews, they were completed. ( They require that you meet half these people in person, but since I was displaced from the area in which I was to be expected to sell they made an exception)

Interview Questions

'Cold Calling' friends of the family and other people whom I've grown to respect and admire just to talk about insurance was one of the most degrading experiences of my life. If you value your network of friends, don't turn them over to Northwestern.

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2012.

Initial Communication is vague as to what the interview process is or involves, let alone what the job is. Info sessions take place at your school or other similar location, after which you will have the opportunity to sign up for the first of at least three interviews. Know that they are looking at both your character and your behavior. They do not necessarily care about grades, while they do appreciate and respect well earned grades, do not put off an application or pursuit of this program just because your grades are not the best. You should then have two more interviews further exploring your suitability for the job.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult problem I faced was my indecision. The program demands your unwavering dedication and focus. If you cannot make that commitment, do not expect to get an offer.   Answer Question
    It's an internship, there really isn't much of a negotiation phase given the nature of the program.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2012.

The position had the basic interview questions but one thing you need to know is that they will try to get potential clients out of you before you even get hired. So its a win win for them, they will see if you can get 15 people to sit down with you before you even hired so if you don't then they still get that list.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interviews are a 3 step process. The first interview is a standard interview, with a mix of information about the company and internship program. They will also ask standard interview questions in order to determine if they will invite you back for a second interview.
    The second interview requires a small homework assigment to be completed prior to the interview. The interview itself goes into more depth about the internship program and then consists of questions to see if I can be motivated and organized enough to fufill the job requirements as an intern. The final interview involves a presentation on why you like Northwestern Mutual, why you like the internship program, and why you would be a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you make a great intern for Northwestern Mutual?   Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

there were two employees taking turns asking me questions. Just the general question about if I knew anything about the financial aspects, what is your goal in life as in career.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was if I had anything I didnt like doing at work. I honestly told them I am a easy going person didnt have anything in particular   Answer Question

Sales Execution Team Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woburn, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woburn, MA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2011.

Three interviews, first with recruiter, second with branch manager, third with regional manager. They are all very nice and try to make you feel as comfortable as possible. However, they make you create a network of 100 contacts to be prospective clients if/when you start the job there.

Interview Questions

It was far too much involved in health care sales and network marketing which I was not looking to do while going to school full time

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

First they do an interview which is just general HR questions like tell us about yourself, what do you have to contribute to our company, etc. The, if you make it past the first round, they have another interview where they ask some technical questions such as sales questions, and discuss more about the actual internship.

Interview Questions
    • Who are some people on your top 100 list who you can sell to?   Answer Question

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2011.

The process was great and the people were very relaxed and kind. They do ask all about your background and be ready to use a lot of personal stories. To even get an interview, you have to score well on a personality test online.