Northwestern Mutual

2.4

Tracy Bannick Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2009.

The interview process started on an on campus event, in which I handed off my resume. Then three days later I was given a phone call and a date for a face to face interview. After the face to face interview, I was given a personality test to determine my skills as a financial adviser then a second presentation interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which a person at work needed your assistance and required your assistance.   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to work to achieve a goal.   View Answer

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2009.

I was contacted by a recruiter and interviewed. There was an aptitude test required before the interview. After the interview, there was another more thorough aptitude test for personality and sales skills. A score below means there will be no offer. Further interv. with managing director and managing partner, plus informational sessions with 2-3 veteren reps. They require Life and Health + 6 and 63 if you are offered a contract. There is a small stipend during the 3-4 week training process and they reimburse you for a passed test. NMFN is the finest company of its type in the nation but the job is 100% commission and ought to be 90% insurance product sales in the first 2 years in order to make it. They require 2-3 meetings a week, Managing director, mentor, and monday morning accountability sales reporting meeting. The average veteren rep makes 150K+ per year. Top reps make 300-400k.

none

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2011.

This was one of the most long winded, and excruciatingly painful interviews I have ever endured. I was first contacted by Northwestern Mutual after they claimed my contact information at a career fair held at my college. Due to the displacement between my college (NY), and the office I was applying for (Boston, MA), I was first interviewed over the phone. During the phone interview I was asked the typical questions, greatest challenges, biggest failures, etc. After I passed this stage I was asked to come in to a group interview in their Boston offices. I drove the 5 hours from college to their office in Boston and waited in their lobby with several other current college students. Finally we were all ushered into a room with a insurance agent who didn't look entirely excited about the presentation he had likely given a dozen times that month. The presentation was typical of any insurance company, a general run through on the difference between term and whole life insurance packages. After about 45 minutes the sales associate handed out a packets to everyone in the room, and we were told that in order to move to the next round of interviews these packets had to be filled entirely. The packets consisted of ten forms, each of which were three pages long. A single form required you to call a friend of the family, a relative, a former associate - anyone within your social 'circle', and ask them a variety of different questions all of which pertained in one way or another to life insurance. I need not mention what NWM likely does with the countless pages of information they get from the people they don't hire. These surveys also contained a an additional page and a half of questions directed toward you about how you felt about the phone interview and other questions along that nature. The Boston office boasted that they were the only branch that required for 10 of these nightmarish surveys, and I overheard an applicant saying that another branch only required 2. After about 5-6 hours of actual work - plus another 2 hours at least for coordinating these phone interviews, they were completed. ( They require that you meet half these people in person, but since I was displaced from the area in which I was to be expected to sell they made an exception)

Interview Questions

'Cold Calling' friends of the family and other people whom I've grown to respect and admire just to talk about insurance was one of the most degrading experiences of my life. If you value your network of friends, don't turn them over to Northwestern.

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2012.

Initial Communication is vague as to what the interview process is or involves, let alone what the job is. Info sessions take place at your school or other similar location, after which you will have the opportunity to sign up for the first of at least three interviews. Know that they are looking at both your character and your behavior. They do not necessarily care about grades, while they do appreciate and respect well earned grades, do not put off an application or pursuit of this program just because your grades are not the best. You should then have two more interviews further exploring your suitability for the job.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult problem I faced was my indecision. The program demands your unwavering dedication and focus. If you cannot make that commitment, do not expect to get an offer.   Answer Question
    It's an internship, there really isn't much of a negotiation phase given the nature of the program.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2014.

Stared with an interview with the HR head. Then a week later a panel interview. Then an interview with the head of the local company. Then a talk about compensation and a requirement to complete market surveys. This is when the reality sets in and if you can do it or not. The employees are extremely professional and courteous.

I could not do a position that is 100% commission

Financial Adviser Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Started off by going to an information session and signing up for an interview slot. Met with interviewer and was asked to interview 5 people that you know to see if you are familiar asking people about their finances. I then called the interviewer back after I finished these 5 interviews and came in to talk again. During this interview, I was assigned a task to call 5 former interns and develop a set of questions to ask them. After getting all 5 to answer, call back interviewer and set another date to come in. On this third interview in the office, met with the Chief Development Officer for the Dallas area. We talked about what my goals were and where I would like to go in my career. He told me to really think about whether I really wanted to be a part of this internship or not and call him back the next day.

Summer Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

I met their representatives at a career networking event in NYC called the Career and Internship Connections. It was put together and attended by a number of colleges, including Skidmore College and and the University of Rochester. At the event, I talked to NW Mutual representatives and gave them my resume. Later, I applied online and was selected for an interview.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted me to talk about a plan for marketing NW Mutual insurance to my own network, be it my family or circles of friends. They wanted a fairly specific answer, with a definite plan.   Answer Question

Associate Director, Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2013.

I was recruited by a third-party recruitment firm that NWM uses for it's marketing roles. Thirty minutes with the recruiter. One hour with the prospective direct report via phone. Then seven 30 minutes interviews in-person at their Milwaukee HQ. I was here to get an offer and figure out my worth on the open market. Salaries were discussed but a formal offer never came as culture fit became an issue.

Interview Questions
    • What excites you about financial services?   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Went through about 6 interviews, two with the Managing Partner. Nothing too terrifying, but it was clear that they wanted to ensure I knew that it is a tough job to succeed in. Have to produce a huge list of prospects and interview 25 people about the job before you even start. They are looking for referrals before you even really know what you're doing.

Interview Questions
    • No unusual questions. Just thorough and repeated more than a few times.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The interview process was extensive and took about a month in total. I was contacted by a recruiter on LInkedIn. She called me for a routine phone screening to see if I was a person capable of holding a conversation. Then I was brought in for an interview, with the recruiter. Everything you might expect in an initial interview. Then I was brought back in to meet with the head of the office, who presented me with a project, to see if I had a network of possible customers and if I could get people to trust me and recommend me to other potential leads. This took about 2 weeks to complete. Finally upon getting 100 possible leads, I was brought in to meet with the head of the northeast division in new york city. After discussing the project, it was decided to have a final interview with the original office, which is frankly more of a formality than a true interview, to discuss payment and training process.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to utilize your own personal network, friends and family to use as leads in selling life insurance?   View Answer

In the end, pure commission based pay prevented me from taking the job.