Northwestern Mutual

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.4

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I was contacted by this company with them stating that the college I went to, the interviewer was nice and knowledgeable, but it was for a new position and they didn't really know what I would be doing. Kind of a turn off.

Financial Representative Interview

Typically 3 interviews and the second is usually a group interview with a few others to bounce questions and thoughts around and determine if it is a fit. Final interview is where you get the offer.

Financial Representative Interview

There are 3 rounds of interviews. On the first interview, you are asked basic questions about your resume. It's fairly easy. It's just to get to know more about you and your personality. In the second round interview you are given market surveys that you must complete. The goal of the market surveys is to see if you are actually fit for a sales position. You have to call up all your friends and family and ask them some questions and ask them for referrals. In the last round you present your findings and prepare a PowerPoint presentation based on questions they ask you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2014.

Reached out to them about a position and they ask you for a phone call to start off with and then proceed with a follow up interview in the office. It was pretty easy going through the process because they were mainly fit questions and they make you fill out a Project 100 and these surveys to see if you can do the job. I had to then go back in 2 other times to meet with other members in the office for essentially the same interview 3 times. Again all fit questions just to see if they like you.

Interview Questions
    • The Project 100 and market surveys were the hardest part because it made you get a feel for what type of market you would be able to deal with and if you could perform well enough.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I applied online and received a phone call the next day. They asked me to come in for an interview the next day. When I went in for the interview, they asked me what I am looking for in a career. I told them that I was not looking for any sort of sales position. I didn't like the idea of selling insurance to my friends. They told me to go ahead and take the homework assignment, which is making a list of people you know who you can sell insurance to. I did not feel comfortable doing that, so I said no.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Tulsa, OK

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2013.

Seemed to be more of a sales pitch than an interview. Discussed how interns could potentially make money and how that would bleed over into a potential job. However, did not seem clear exactly how the incentive structure was aligned.

Interview Questions
    • Providing contacts for sales leads during the interview.   Answer Question

Accepted different position

Communications Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

When interviewing for a Communications position at Northwestern Mutual I experienced a VERY long interview process. This process was long in nearly every definition of the word. The process from start of finish took approximately 4 months. Interview steps: Phone screen with HR, Phone screen with Hiring Manager, In person interview (all day long, talked to 11 people), finalist round - in person interview over lunch.

No writing tests, but had my portfolio on hand.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing too unexpected during these interviews.   Answer Question

College Financial Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

3 interviews at 2 different office locations including 1 group interview. Went over personality characteristics, the demands of the job, and compensation. Everyone involved was easy to talk to and deal with. My one complaint was that they were slow to reveal the full duties the job entails. I applied online in November and was officially contracted in May.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me as a homework assignment to get a list of 40 referrals in 10 days.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Phone interview with an HR rep in their home office. Questions are really easy but the assessment is truly complicated. It took hours to finish all the question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Met a recruiter through a college career fair, and scheduled an initial interview with that recruiter. Initially thought I was interviewing for the Fin Rep position, and it may have been intentionally unclear, but I was actually interviewing for the Graduate Program. Basic questions were asked to assess a good "fit"in first interview, then I was contacted for a second "in-depth" interview and instructed to do a brief presentation. My interviewer did not show up, so I was interviewed by someone else. Following the in-depth interview I was given a quota of 10 market surveys and 15 referrals to complete before my final interview. The employees were generally quite friendly, and the corporate culture is relaxed and fun.

Interview Questions
    • How would your participation in our program benefit our team and Network Office?   View Answer
    • What was the most rewarding/challenging role in your previous work experience, and why?   Answer Question
    • What was your biggest take away from the market survey experience?   Answer Question

Small stipend that would barely cover transportation costs during internship, and no base salary even after going full-time. It was not the ideal market for my career goals.