Northwestern Mutual

Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.4

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2014.

The interview was straightforward. Upon sitting down with their Recruiting Director, she explain that her goal was to get to know me better, personally and professionally. I was first asked to introduce myself, talk about my background, as well as disclose of my family background, parents' occupation and if I had any siblings. Then, I talked about my professional qualities that can be best suited for Northwestern Mutual. Lastly, the interviewer asked what my hobbies were. Once my part ended, the Recruiting Director went over what Northwestern Mutual was, what their mission and vision are, and what the position entails. In the end, I told that my chances for gaining a second interview was slim because I am a recent college graduate, the only thing holding me back really.

Interview Questions
    • It was unexpected for the recruiting director to ask about my parents and whether I had an siblings.   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

They're wonderful. Just trying to get a feel if you're a people person. If you don't pass the multiple interviews, you probably aren't cut out to break down doors and make the sales needed in order to make a living.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The interview process is comprised of various steps first is the phone screening. Then you meet with the recruiter in person and they ask why your interested, they get an idea of who you are and if you might be a good fit. Next you are asked to give a presentation to see how you would present in front of a potential client and also to see how you would represent the company. Next they ask you to develop a list of 200 people who you would go into business with. Finally you meet with a person who could possibly be you mentor.

Interview Questions
    • Develop a list of 200 people who you would go into business with.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

At least 2 if not three interviews. Wanted to know professional characteristics and personal characteristics to get to know who I was as a person. Great questions. Expect to spend 5 minutes answering the "Tell me about yourself" question including education, work experience, and career goals - why you have those goals.

Interview Questions
    • What are you most proud of doing in your life?   View Answer

Actuarial Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I only did the initial phone interview and was asked basic interview questions. Mostly general questions about my resume and why I want the job. I was asked a few behavioral questions, like explaining a difficult decision I made and what book I'm reading. The interviewer was very approachable and easy. She said that the next step is another phone interview and if that goes well, they will fly me in for an in-person interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The company came to the school and I met with one of their representatives. I was given an interview for the next week. The interview was pretty east but I declined the offer because I did not want to sell insurance to my friends and family. It was not the right kind of job for me.

Interview Questions

I did not want to sell insurance. The first thing they wanted me to do was write down 60 names of people I knew with their phone numbers. It was not the kind of work I was interested in doing so I declined the offer.

Intern Interview

I applied through a career fair. Scheduled and in person interview right away. The recruiters were great, enthusiastic, and eager to tell me more. For me it was not a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, first interview was talking about my goals.   Answer Question

Full Time Job Interview

Go to stamford for interview. I have read a lot of things about them, both good and bad. From reading it looks like a 100% commission job, buy glassdoor.com says salary plus commission. Guess I will find out during the interview. I would imagine that it is up to me to supply any and all leads for business.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

2nd Interview round, met with district manager...pretty relaxed interview, but asked me questions about parents which i did not quite like...only asked a few previous experience questions and why i wanted to work in the financial services industry...rest of the interview was him explaining life insurance and how NWM operates

Interview Questions

Salary is only commission, entry level a bit too independent for me

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through my university and was scheduled for a phone interview shortly after. The interview was really basic. A few days later, I got invited for a second round phone interview which was essentially just like the first one. The third round was in their office. For that round, I had to deliver a presentation about the company and why I wanted to intern for them.

Interview Questions
    • Why Northwestern Mutual and how will we benefit from having you?   Answer Question
    No negotiation