Northwestern Mutual

Getting the Interview

774 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Go to information session, set up first round interview with recruiter, then interview with actual Financial Representative.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions. They are very concerned with your network of where you will be working.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – commission based

Summer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview first then in person interview. Average questions and easy going

Interview Question – Most were average - did ask if I knew 100 people to begin my business.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Interview Details – This is not a financial advising position. This is an insurance sales position. They want you to make as many phone calls and meet with as many people as you can to try to sell them insurance. It this is not a problem for you then the money can be quite decent after a few years.

Interview Question – There isn't really a hard question. Either you will like selling insurance or not.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – This is a sales position disguised as a financial advisor position.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details – First Phone Screening went great and called in for an in person interview the next day. Very pleasant and enthusiastic interviewer. Made me feel very comfortable

Interview Question – Name one of your challenges working in a group in the past   Answer Question

Intern Sales Representative Interview

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Phone interview, they ask the normal questions. Its takes about 30 minutes, if you pass that then you go to the office were its about an 45 minute deal where you talk and answer questions. After that you are to present in front of a few employers.

Interview Question – All general, Goals, weaknesses, strengths..   Answer Question

College Financial Representative Interview

Springfield, IL

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Got referred by a friend. Very easy interview. Mostly fit questions.

Negotiation Details – no negotiations

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Newport Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very straight forward, after submitting an online application I was notified of my application having been received. I was contacted within a week through e-mail by a college recruiter who asked some general questions. Following the string of e-mails I was asked for a phone interview where my morals and ethics were the focus, the recruited asking the questions was engaging and inquisitive regarding every aspect of my answers. The final step of the interview was a presentation to the college recruited on a market analysis of potential clients for financial services.

Interview Question – I was asked for a specific instance of anyone I knew who had an experience with a financial representative and how it went.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was an intern, there was no negotiation. Strictly commission based with a weekly stipend upon receiving state license number.

Financial Representative
Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – There was an extensive interview process that took me about a month or two. The interviewer was very calming and relaxed, it was the best interview experience I've ever had because we treated it like a simple conversation. The most important thing they look for is that you are driven, ambitious, and self-motivated. On top of that you need to be able to hold down a conversation as that is 90% of the job. After the first interview I had to conduct a suitability assessment online, then I had to put together a presentation on myself and why I was a good fit for Northwestern Mutual. After that I had to conduct 15 market surveys to see how well I could prospect referrals and how well I could gather information out of client interviews. After that I had to be certified to sell Life Insurance, Annuities, and Health Insurance in my state of residence and then I had to pass a background check which took awhile and then went to an intensive week of training which has been followed up by weekly product trainings. It was a very good business model, very professionally run and very supportive. It's a lot of work but if you have the opportunity I highly recommend interviewing for Northwestern Mutual, best company I've ever worked for!

Interview Question – Why are you here?   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative
Morristown, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I met a recruiter through a college networking event. The whole process took about two weeks and consisted of two in-person rounds of interviews. Interview was very straight forward and consisted of very basic questions. I was also told to take a small little survey to assess my personality. It was not going to make / break my chances but it gave them an opportunity to see how I think.

Interview Question – How do you feel about rejection?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Insurance Agent
Lubbock, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2014.

Interview Details – I met a recruiter from Northwestern Mutual on campus at the career fair, and had an interview the following day. During the interview I was offered a second interview at a Fort Worth branch and never heard anything back. The recruiter informed me that if you are hired, you're paired up with a mentor in your office to meet with once a week to keep you on track.

Interview Question – When everyone you call in a day says "no," what will be your motivation to keep calling and trying to sell insurance?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual