Northwestern Mutual

1,011 Interview Reviews

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2015.

Interview was fairly easy, first round was basic behavioral questions, second was a presentation about yourself, and third was several forms you needed to fill out regarding your "social network" aka who you could sell life insurance to. The recruiters were very friendly and nice, but the job just wasn't right for me. It's a commission based position where you're essentially cold calling people you know and trying to sell them life insurance. If you're the type of person that's comfortable with this, it's a good career opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you demonstrated leadership?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Applied at career fair. Received an email to attend informational session, and then after about 2-3 weeks, attended another meeting with one other student from another college. Interviewer mostly talked about the company and the intern program.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The interview process was pretty straight forward as there was nothing more than personality questions. The whole interview was based on a personality test that you are required to take during a process. They went over it during the skype interview and basically were able to determine what kind of employee I you would be and if you have the right personality to work for them.

Financial Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

i was contacted by a northwestern mutual inside recruiter after being recommended by a associate who was in their internship program. i had an initial phone screening with the recruiter followed by an online assessment that is specific to their company. it was a simple questionnaire designed to highlight any traits i might have to benefit the company. i was called back for a second round to meet the recruiter and go over my results and talk more about the position, in the same meeting i scheduled a third round where i would meet the district manager. i was then given a packet of mock interview work to see if the work i would be doing would be right for me. it was a heavy amount of networking and proposing awkward questions to family and friends, but in the end was ultimately a true representation of what you would be doing. after this i was scheduled to meet the office leadership and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • what did you learn from meeting all the people you did your mock interviews with?   View Answer

College Financial Representative Interview

I went through 3 interviews that were pretty simple for me to complete. They spend as much time selling you on the job as you spend selling them. I initially met them at a campus career fair. From there they reached out to me and asked me to come in for an interview. At the end they asked me to make a presentation to them on why they should hire me.

Interview Questions
    • Asked several questions on values and ethics and examples.   Answer Question

Position Interview

Easy to get the interview. Signed up at a career fair, called me for a 1st round a few weeks later. Told me I had a second round, but only if I bring information for 60 of my friends who might also be interested. Basically they make you sell life insurance.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Nice people. 3 round interview process. First one is a get to know you. Second is where they tell you more about the job and give you some homework. Third, is an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult thing you had to over come in your life?   Answer Question

Not the format of compensation I was looking for.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Went through three rounds of 1 on 1 interviews with the college recruiters. The company is looking for competitive personalities. Before the last interview, you are required to get information from friends and family that will later be used as a base for your first potential clients.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions. Just basic questions about you and your resume.   Answer Question
    None

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Applied online. Had a phone interview first and then an in-person interview. Very straightforward, talked further about my resume and asked a few questions about the internship. Then they asked me to meet a person higher up the ladder and prepare a powerpoint presentation on why I wanted to work there. They never ended up asking me to present one. The third and final interview was face-to-face and a short 20 minute discussion after which they usually offer you a position.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. Just prepare a little about the insurance and wealth management industry.   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Was more of a sales pitch to me rather than an interview. Seems like they take any person who applies off the street and hands them a job. Also gave me a packet to write down 100 names of friends and family that I would later be trying to sell insurance to. Bad gig in my opinions.

Interview Questions
    • There were very few questions, maybe 2 questions off my resume.   Answer Question