Northwestern Mutual

Updated Dec 13, 2014
Updated Dec 13, 2014

2.4

Post GraduatePosition Interview

It is a 3 step Interview process. The first interview is very basic; a precursor to see if you qualify for the next two. Questions about you, your personality, etc. There is also a detailed overview of the company, and if you pass the "personality assessment test" with a 70% or above, you will be invited back. The second interview is you giving a presentation to two or more Northwestern Mutual employees, on Northwestern Mutual. I am in the process of preparing for the third interview.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic questions. Be prepared to answer questions about yourself, and some questions like, "if you were to start any business, whatsoever, what would it be and why?".   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

NMN reached out to me through the campus online recruiting website and asked me if I would like to have an interview with them. We had a phone interview since I wasn't able to be on site. The interviewer started the interview with several questions regarding to my family background, which made me a bit upsetting. But other than that everything went well just make sure you know the company well.

Interview Questions

The position is called Financial Rep but it's actually more like a sales job, which is not what I was looking for.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Was referred by a friend. Went for an initial interview and received a call for a second interview about a week later. Both interviews were very behavioral and personality based. Made it to the final interview in which you must give a 5 minute presentation about yourself. Overall a very pleasant interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • None to really speak of. The only section that I found slightly confusing was actually talking about insurance. But you will learn all of that in training.   Answer Question
    No negotiating involved.

Actuary Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

Submitted application online, received a call from 2 associate actuaries. It was a very informal conversation, and we joked around while answering the questions. Two weeks later, got a rejection email.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

I went to a couple of information sessions and talked with the recruiters. Setup a meeting with them at their offices. It was the basic questions of 'tell me about yourself' and a run down of your resume. The interviewer was very nice and did not add any stress by asking tough questions. The intern position involves providing life and disability insurance to potential clients and the pay is based on commission.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

3 interviews pretty causal ask you about your goals, where you see yourself headed in 5 years. You first meet with a recruiter then you meet with a branch manager. Mutual exploration process.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation because it's an internship.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

Reached out to Northwestern. Revived a phone call to speak preliminary with a recruiter. Basic conversation about company and position. Fill out survey about characteristics and what your natural market is.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just asked questions more based on personality on to see whether or not youd be a good fit.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

Overall a positive experience with a group of people who are excited about what they do. I approached a NWM recruiter on a Friday and was called on a Monday to be brought in for an interview. They work quickly; you'll hear from them at least once a week to set up the next step. Besides interviewing with the recruiter, you'll probably meet the local office's Managing Director, new hire director, and potentially Managing Partner. They're relatively nonchalant about interviewing you, which they will call "meeting" with you. They espouse the mutual fit concept a lot. Be prepared to go in for an interview not really knowing the format or duration, but potentially meeting a lot of important people right off the bat. The interview questions were very simple, the kind of stuff you'd find on a list of typical behavioral questions. Ideal answers involve mentioning wanting to own your own career and wanting to help people.

Pros:
    - Initial training gets you licensed and working (and potentially making money) within the first month.
    - Income potential is essentially limitless, although the first couple years will likely test your limits (financially and emotionally). For those that "make it" (year 5 or so) the career can provide substantial income for a lifetime.
    - The office seemed to be full of people who are excited about Northwestern and excited about what they do.

Cons:
    - Financially difficult if you don't know around 200 people, at the time of interviewing, who you could immediately begin trying to sell products to.
    - You will quickly exhaust your "natural" network of people you know, so identify your extended network that you will work with thereafter (e.g. alumni associations, fraternal organizations, social clubs).

Interview Questions
    • Are you comfortable with a commission-only income?   View Answer

Commission-only income was too risky for my family at the time.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

Casual, asked a few behavioral questions and about family background. Simple one on one interview where the interviewee went through resume. Asked about what you think success is, what would you like to be doing in 5 years, previous job experiences, and what you are most proud of.

Interview Questions
    • If you could pick one animal what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

Went in for an interview at their San Jose office. The questions were mostly behavioral/personal such as tell me about yourself, how do you define success, why do you want to work here, do you want to work in sales, where do you see yourself in 5 years etc. They also asked what I knew about Northwestern Mutual and what products they offer. The interview was really short. After the interview they email you 2 surveys to complete.

Interview Questions

Not interested in a sales position that's completely commission based.