Northwestern Mutual

Average Difficulty
841 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Very quick and easy because they hire most applicants that can handle themselves in the interview. Network offices do their own hiring and applicants can pretty much choose a "home office." Background check was done before i was hired.

Negotiation Details – Not a salaried position.

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Interview Details – There are four interviews. The first one is where you go over your résumé recruiting manager. Then they tell you about how great the job is and how much money you can make. They ask you how many people do you know well (you wouldn't need to be introduced by someone else) in the area. If that number is above 50, then you move on to the next round.

The second round is a personality test to see if you would be personable enough to be a good salesman. Again, if you answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, you move on.

The third part is a meeting with the branch manager. They basically ask the same questions as the hiring manager. Again, answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, and you move on. I started having second thoughts, and didn't get passed this round.

Interview Question – How many contacts do you currently have that you could call and set up an appointment with?   View Answer

Recruiter Interview

Recruiter

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume and followed up to set an initial meeting with the head recruiter. There was a total of 2 interviews (one with the recruiter and one with the director of operations) and an offer over the phone.

Interview Question – They went a little too in-depth when asking questions about my personal life.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Interview with a recruiter. Interview with several different agents about the position. Then submit a business plan and present your plan. Meet with the managing partner who will give you the final approval on joining NML.

Interview Question – question: How are you going to handle not having a guaranteed base of pay?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Interview Details – Mostly just providing information about what NWM does. It was not a very good interview process because they are asking you to basically cold call your friends and family and try to sell them insurance. If you want to call your college aged friends to sell them life insurance then this would be great.

Fort Myers, FL

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2012.

Interview Details – The process was very streamlined. They send you a personality profile that is pretty lengthy. After they review your profile they set up the first interview. At that first interview they talk exclusively about your strengths and weakness as your profile fits. Mine was pretty spot on. After the first interview you are given an assignment to conduct 10 market surveys. After you complete that task you go to your second interview. After your second interview you are to amass a list of names and put them in your database for you to get started. The last interview is to talk about compensation.

Interview Question – There really was no difficult questions. I was a career changer so the whole industry was new to me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really was no negotiation. They have one pay scale. This job is 100% commision.

Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Interview Details – 3 step process, the first step is a phone interview. step 2 is to go into the office and meet with the recruiter you had your phone interview with, along with several other people to go over compensation and how you did on your personality assessment. 3rd and final interview is going over Market information surveys, and seeing if this career is a good fit for you. They offered me the job on the spot at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – What is your plan of attack to be successful in this business if you are hired?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Short, take some time after and reflect on what your current situation is

Associate Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Associate Wealth Management Advisor
Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2011.

Interview Details – Hired by an independent financial rep for their practice. Introduced by a mutual friend. Talked on the phone first and then met for a few hours. I learned about his practice and what the expectations would be.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Actuarial Intern
Northridge, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2013.

Interview Details – Northwestern Mutual has great internship training program. I was called for an interview in Northridge, CA, The interview was 1-1 and the interviewee was a woman. She asked me both academic and personal questions. Also, she explained the internship program very clearly. I was very interested. However, the company did not sponsor H1B visa for international students and that is why things did not work out in the end.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2013.

Interview Details – There were a series of phone interviews followed up with some sample surveys that you must submit to the HR representative. Most of the questions were personality based and they make sure to tell you that it will be mostly sales based. If you are comfortable with asking your family and friends if they are interested in life insurance it is fairly easy.

Interview Question – What leadership positions have you held?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I chose not to negotiate.