Northwestern Mutual

Relevance Date Difficulty

College Financial Representative Interview

College Financial Representative
Troy, MI

I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details – I reached out to Northwestern at my college career fair. It took them a month to contact me, and then I interviewed in my home city. They ask potential prospects to take a sales personality test and to compile a list of potential contacts. Personally, I was not comfortable in Northwestern, and I rejected an offer from them.

Interview Question – They asked me to interpret my personality test results and explain to them how I felt about the results.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Internship
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2014.

Interview Details – I talked to one of the representative during the career fair and a couple of weeks later they ask me if I were still interested. It was a fast and easy process. First meeting was just an informational and 2nd was just one on one with one of the recruiters. I really like the interview process and they all make you feel very comfortable.

Interview Question – If one day you wake up and can take anyone job what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Wilmington, DE

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Three interviews. All very easy and laid back. Was basically offered the position immediately. This is a good experience for kids who don't need the money to work. They really want you to succeed because if you do they make lots of money. They have flawed methods of trying to build networks. Just using friends and family is not the way to go.

Reason for Declining – All commission. Not very good experience unless you want to sell life insurance which by itself isn't that lucrative.

College Financial Representative Interview

College Financial Representative
Murfreesboro, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

Interview Details – Very laid back. Interview was to test your knowledge but more importantly to test your personal skills. After getting offered was harder than the interview. You then have to take tests, fill out tons of paperwork, and do a lot of online nonsense. However, it is worth it in the end.

Interview Question – How do you feel about striking out 95% of the time?   Answer Question

Associate Financial Representative Interview

Associate Financial Representative
West Palm Beach, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

Interview Details – Telephone interview, followed by in office interview with Managing Director, followed by 2 week training program, then must get certified to sell Life, Health & Annuity. Then after that, you will be placed with a mentor to sort of shadow and get advice from.

Interview Question – What was your strongest or best attribute that you had with your past 2 jobs?   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Intern Interview

Financial Services Representative Intern
Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2013.

Interview Details – It seems the interviewer spent more time trying to sell the job than trying to figure out if you are a right fit for this position. the interview was casual and it seems a second interview is available if you want to pursue the position further.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, just a casual conversation about the position.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Had second thoughts about cold calls.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Had an over the phone screening. Asked to make sure I was interested in the position. Face to face meeting lasting an hour. Asked basic questions such as where do you see yourself in the company etc. Also asked my business plan and who I would call in the area.

Interview Question – Asked who I knew and who was influential to me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing is really negotiable.

Intern - Independent Financial Advisor Interview

Intern - Independent Financial Advisor

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – Was a great interview experience with very friendly people. Had 4 different interviews. The first was a phone interview with a recruiter, followed by 2 in-person interviews at the recruiter's office, and finally, an interview with the program manager.

Interview Question – What are you looking for in a financial planning company?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Sounds like a great company, but wasn't interested in a commission based structure based solely on your own network.

Insurance Sales Intern Interview

Insurance Sales Intern
Downers Grove, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2013.

Interview Details – The recruiter was super friendly and easy going. Took the edge off right away. I had a lot of sales experience working in several organizations in college so I thought this would be a good transition into a real sales experience. As soon as they started explaining how the leads don't come from the company but from YOUR OWN CONNECTIONS (family, friends, associates) I knew this company only hires people to exhaust them of their connections before they move on to their next victim. No one likes it when your friend or relative asks you to buy insurance. After I blow through all my contacts I'd probably be doing door-to-door. So of course they called me the very next day and asked me to start right away. Pretty much all commission based so if you beg your grandma to buy insurance and she says no, there goes your paycheck.

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions. Describe a conflict you were in and how you resolved it. What's your most recent achievement and why it means so much to you. These questions are all to see if you're persistent and a hard worker despite dealing with frictions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – something about persuading family/friends to buy insurance is a conflict of interest for me

Financial Representative Interview

Financial Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – The process was a little nebulous, as I have a background in sales, but little experience in financial services. They were very clear about the wonderful opportunities available through the company, and it was very appealing to think I could move within any area of financial services that I could want. I was very surprised and turned off by the 100% commission. It was difficult for me to understand exactly what I'd be selling and to whom, however they seemed confident that I would learn all that info in their extensive and comprehensive training.

Interview Question – How would you build your own business base?   Answer Question