Northwestern Mutual

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.4

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

Reached out to Northwestern. Revived a phone call to speak preliminary with a recruiter. Basic conversation about company and position. Fill out survey about characteristics and what your natural market is.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just asked questions more based on personality on to see whether or not youd be a good fit.   Answer Question

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2014.

Pretty straightforward process.

The first "interview" is a group meeting. You meet with other candidates that are interested in the job and then you are all told over the next hour so so about what NWM does, the benefits of working there, etc.

The second interview is a call back interview. It's a one-on-one interview where they want to get to know you a little better. Towards the end of this second interview they reveal more specifics about the job. They let you know afterward if they are going to continue the process with you.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you want to become a part of NWM?   View Answer

I decllined the opportunity to continue with the process after learning that the job works around "warm referrals". So start with friends and family and then you work your way out. I wasn't comfortable with that.

Financial Representative Interview

Emailed regarding a summer internship to a local recruiter who then called to get to know me a bit better. There is also an online personality/sales test that you must take to see your dynamic and for them to see how you would fit with the company. Met with them at the career fair to get a little more information about the job. Set an interview for a couple of weeks later.

Financial Representative Interview

Very friendly, and basic interview structure. General questions (biggest weakness, strength, etc) Process took 2 interviews the second one I had to present a PP for a board of recruiters. Fantastic place to work

Financial Representative Interview

Three interviews in total. Your given some homework to complete but its very simple. You are required to submit a background check which is understandable considering its the financial services industry. One phone interview and several one on one interviews with your hiring manager.

Intern Interview

The hiring process seemed a bit mechanical or robotic. They get you in and out as soon as possible. They don't seem to really want to get to know the person, but rather how that person is going to make money for the company. The culture seemed a little bit like a "boys club."

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see your success coming from in 10 years?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

This is not a Financial Advisor role. There is 0 base salary, and you get commission for selling insurance. I applied and got an interview almost instantly. After 5 minutes into the interview I could tell it was for selling insurance.

Associate Financial Representative Interview

Transferred offices; office was helpful and had procedures in place to complete the transfer. Interview process was solid and each office has their own way of choosing who fits best with them. There are multiple interviews before contracting could be offered. Meetings are detailed with information regarding duties and benefits.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest question to answer is "how do you plan to succeed" whether you're a representative or assistant.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mishawaka, IN

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Was contacted via email by the local recruiting agent. Have gone through two interviews. First interview was just asked a few behavioral questions and then got a chance to ask some questions about the position. After that they sent me an easy 15 minute online assessment (pick the words that describe you best, etc.) and once I submitted that they invited me back for a second interview. This one was more behavioral and personal questions. At the end the interviewer gave me a packet of mini-cases to do and said that if I like these then this job will be a good fit for me and we can discuss getting you the position. If you hate the cases then this will be a very bad fit for you. She was very friendly and made sure to emphasize that I should be honest with myself because this is the type of position where if you try to force yourself into it when you don't fit there you will certainly fail. Overall a very relaxed interview process. You can definitely tell from the way the interviewer talked though that the financial representatives need to be very driven.

Interview Questions
    • What was your parent's parenting style like and how do you think that affected your development and who you are today.   Answer Question

I don't think this position will affect my personality very well. Additionally, I do not think I will be in the area very long and all the work I'd do in my first year or two would then be wasted.

Financial Representative Interview

Applied through college, got an email about an onsite interview in a week. The interviewer referred me to a different position that she thought would be a better fit for me. I agreed to apply to that position. Followed up once but didn't get any response.

Interview Questions
    • How would your peers describe you. I didn't prepare for this question and got a little nervous so I said people would say that I'm nice.   Answer Question