Northwestern Mutual

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.4

College Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I first approached a recruiter for Northwestern Mutual at my College's Career Fair. After a quick meeting the next day in starbucks, the recruiter referred me to the head of the college program. I had several rounds of interviews with him, both over the phone and over skype. He asked personality questions, a few questions about my experience, and questions in order to figure out my ability to work as a financial representative. Between the two interviews, he had me do some "homework." I had to ask 10 people what their view of a financial representative is and what kind of experience that they have had in the past with people in the financial world.

Intern Interview

The interview process was a series of three interviews, each becoming increasingly more in depth until I had convinced them I was the right man for the job. They looked at my history, my connections, my parents jobs, among other things. It required a fingerprinting, background check, and the likes.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would go about cold calling someone, which took me by surprise.   Answer Question
    I was given no negotiation, as it was the standard college-student internship position

Intern Interview

I was given a two stage interview. The first was largely behavioral and I was sent home with a "homework" assignment to find 100 potential clients. I did not feel comfortable asking my parent's friends for contact information to be cold called for policies so and declined the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • All very straight forward questions. i.e. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

first stage for interview was behavioral questions. the hiring recruiter just wanted to make sure i had interpersonal skills. entire interview took 30 mins and was very straightforward. the first stage is just to set you up for the next interview where they give you an assignment to complete by next interview.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

A recruiter came to the college I was attending. The head of the insurance department gave my name to the recruiter. I interviewed mainly to get some interview experience. The job was a full commission job and they were going to rely on me to sell insurance to my friends and family to start "my business".

Interview Questions
    • Please provide a list of 100 people you would contact about selling insurance.   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2014.

Spoke with a recruiter, who cut the preliminary interview short after they found out that I have not personal or professional connection in the region that I was applying to for selling financial products. Unfortunately, this company seems to focus on selling financial products to friends and family, which can sour relationships.

Interview Questions
    • Do I have any personal or professional connections in the region that I am applying to.   View Answer

Office Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2014.

I found the position online, applied by email with my resume and cover letter and was asked for an initial phone interview the same day. The phone interview was about 15 minutes and I was asked to come in for a one on one interview. I was sent a short online survey to take before the interview to determine personality traits. The in person interview was structured and laid back, but very professional. I was asked questions that were about my personality and based on a previous situation. Overall it was a great interview

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question that I got was asking what my core values were. Not necessarily a hard question, it was just unexpected.   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2014.

The interviewing process was long, a total of four interviewing stages, before each stage there is a test or survey to evaluate your performances and or fit. In all, the process takes three - four months.

Interview Questions

The first five years' commission is around $20k-$35k, afterward residual income should be more... Right after college, I don't have that much time to invest in slow progress in this field in my professional career.

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I was contacted by this company with them stating that the college I went to, the interviewer was nice and knowledgeable, but it was for a new position and they didn't really know what I would be doing. Kind of a turn off.

Financial Representative Interview

Typically 3 interviews and the second is usually a group interview with a few others to bounce questions and thoughts around and determine if it is a fit. Final interview is where you get the offer.