Northwestern Mutual

2.4

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

Initial meeting followed by a lengthy online personality profile. This profile is heavily based on whether or not you have ever invested in financial services yourself, and how many people in the financial services industry you know. the second interview is to discuss your results and if you qualify you will meet with a higher up. you must be willing to gather 200-300 of your closest friends and family and be willing to sell the financial services.

Interview Questions
    • They kept it very casual, asking simple questions about your goals and ability to go into sales and work on commission.   Answer Question

Technical Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

I felt the initial contact and instructions from HR were good. The application process was easy enough and not hand written, which I appreciate. The interview questions varied between specific experiences and the behavioral variety but nothing off the wall. My interviews were with two people at a time for about an hour at a time, plus a little time with the HR representative.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral questions always seem to be the toughest to articulate answers to, at least for me. You have to dig deep into your experiences and make sure you answer completely but also concisely.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Interview with a recruiter. Interview with several different agents about the position. Then submit a business plan and present your plan. Meet with the managing partner who will give you the final approval on joining NML.

Interview Questions
    • question: How are you going to handle not having a guaranteed base of pay?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Latham, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY

I applied through other source - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Invited for initial interview and was given a through overview of the company along with the basic interview questions that one would expect; i.e.. tell us about yourself; why this industry and NWM, etc. Very impressed with the professionalism of the organization and the values of the company. Was explained that the process would be in several stages and that there would be an assessment sent via email to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Did not experience any difficult questions or anything unexpected.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

The interview was very simple, just some basic questions about myself. I do not believe that many who apply and get an interview do not receive an offer. The interview lasted about twenty minutes but I was waiting for about half an hour.

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

3 step process, pretty straight forward, Got the internship and accepted. Room to be extremely successful if you set your mind to it. I met with the partner of the firm and he was a really laid back guy. Gave me stats on salary percentage of the office, I was blown away and motivated to pursue my career here!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, mostly straight forward interview based questions.   Answer Question
    They congratulated me, and I met with the partner of the firm, really cool guy and look forward to meeting him more then once.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

On-boarding and interview process took 4 months. First a recruiter called and did a phone interview, then they asked me to come in to the office and meet with them. By the time I received an offer, 4 months had passed and I met with 6 different people.

Interview Questions
    • How many people do you know that make $250,000 or more?   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation possible, this was a 100% commission based job. The compensation, benefits and expectations were previously set and not negotiable.

Financial Representative Interview

Process was pretty structured. Was put into contact with a recruiter, then set up an interview. Got through the first one but realized the position was not for me. Interview was pretty formal although the recruiter was really nice. Good interview experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

The interview took about 30 minutes. No hard questions. The recruiter was very nice and tried to keep me relaxed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

There are four interviews. The first one is where you go over your résumé recruiting manager. Then they tell you about how great the job is and how much money you can make. They ask you how many people do you know well (you wouldn't need to be introduced by someone else) in the area. If that number is above 50, then you move on to the next round.

The second round is a personality test to see if you would be personable enough to be a good salesman. Again, if you answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, you move on.

The third part is a meeting with the branch manager. They basically ask the same questions as the hiring manager. Again, answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, and you move on. I started having second thoughts, and didn't get passed this round.

Interview Questions
    • How many contacts do you currently have that you could call and set up an appointment with?   View Answer