Northwestern Mutual

2.4

Financial Services Representative Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in September 2013.

It seems the interviewer spent more time trying to sell the job than trying to figure out if you are a right fit for this position. the interview was casual and it seems a second interview is available if you want to pursue the position further.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just a casual conversation about the position.   Answer Question

Had second thoughts about cold calls.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Had an over the phone screening. Asked to make sure I was interested in the position. Face to face meeting lasting an hour. Asked basic questions such as where do you see yourself in the company etc. Also asked my business plan and who I would call in the area.

Interview Questions
    Nothing is really negotiable.

Intern - Independent Financial Advisor Interview

Was a great interview experience with very friendly people. Had 4 different interviews. The first was a phone interview with a recruiter, followed by 2 in-person interviews at the recruiter's office, and finally, an interview with the program manager.

Interview Questions
    • What are you looking for in a financial planning company?   Answer Question

Sounds like a great company, but wasn't interested in a commission based structure based solely on your own network.

Insurance Sales Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2013.

The recruiter was super friendly and easy going. Took the edge off right away. I had a lot of sales experience working in several organizations in college so I thought this would be a good transition into a real sales experience. As soon as they started explaining how the leads don't come from the company but from YOUR OWN CONNECTIONS (family, friends, associates) I knew this company only hires people to exhaust them of their connections before they move on to their next victim. No one likes it when your friend or relative asks you to buy insurance. After I blow through all my contacts I'd probably be doing door-to-door. So of course they called me the very next day and asked me to start right away. Pretty much all commission based so if you beg your grandma to buy insurance and she says no, there goes your paycheck.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions. Describe a conflict you were in and how you resolved it. What's your most recent achievement and why it means so much to you. These questions are all to see if you're persistent and a hard worker despite dealing with frictions.   Answer Question

something about persuading family/friends to buy insurance is a conflict of interest for me

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The process was a little nebulous, as I have a background in sales, but little experience in financial services. They were very clear about the wonderful opportunities available through the company, and it was very appealing to think I could move within any area of financial services that I could want. I was very surprised and turned off by the 100% commission. It was difficult for me to understand exactly what I'd be selling and to whom, however they seemed confident that I would learn all that info in their extensive and comprehensive training.

Financial Representative Intern Interview

After a recruiting meeting at the university I had a 1 on 1 phone interview. Very short and simple, more of a screening phase. Then came the market research survey where you were to interview those in your personal market about their past experiences with financial services companies and the importance of products sold by such companies. They want to make sure that you have either a large network to contact and sell to, including friends or family, and/or that you will be able to grow and expand your own market.

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to name 100 people that could make up a potential market? Market study survey where you were to interview as many people as possible about their personal financial services experiences.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Very quick and easy because they hire most applicants that can handle themselves in the interview. Network offices do their own hiring and applicants can pretty much choose a "home office." Background check was done before i was hired.

Not a salaried position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2014.

There are four interviews. The first one is where you go over your résumé recruiting manager. Then they tell you about how great the job is and how much money you can make. They ask you how many people do you know well (you wouldn't need to be introduced by someone else) in the area. If that number is above 50, then you move on to the next round.

The second round is a personality test to see if you would be personable enough to be a good salesman. Again, if you answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, you move on.

The third part is a meeting with the branch manager. They basically ask the same questions as the hiring manager. Again, answer these questions as the ideal candidate would, and you move on. I started having second thoughts, and didn't get passed this round.

Interview Questions
    • How many contacts do you currently have that you could call and set up an appointment with?   View Answer

Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I sent in my resume and followed up to set an initial meeting with the head recruiter. There was a total of 2 interviews (one with the recruiter and one with the director of operations) and an offer over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • They went a little too in-depth when asking questions about my personal life.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Interview with a recruiter. Interview with several different agents about the position. Then submit a business plan and present your plan. Meet with the managing partner who will give you the final approval on joining NML.

Interview Questions
    • question: How are you going to handle not having a guaranteed base of pay?   View Answer