Northwestern Mutual

Updated Mar 1, 2015
1,020 Interview Reviews

2.4

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

It was very easy. It felt like a conversation more than an interview. I had 2 rounds of interviews. After the first interview, I was given a "challenge" to get as many referrals as I could out of 50 possible. I got 47. It was easy-medium to get the referrals.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

They will call to screen you, and that is followed by 2-4 in person interviews with recruiters and managers. The people you deal with are very friendly and want you to become apart of the team. I didn't accept because another opportunity came up, however I was willing and ready to become apart of the team. Just watch out, it is advertised as "top ten internship in the US" but it is as good as the work you put into it, or at least thats what I gathered from my brief experience there.

Interview Questions

Other opportunity came up, however I was willing and ready to become apart of the team. Just watch out, it is advertised as "top ten internship in the US" but it is as good as the work you put into it, or at least thats what I gathered from my brief experience there.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The interview was very straightforward and weighs heavily on your goals and your network of friends and family. I decided not to proceed to the final round because selling insurance is not what I intend to do out of college. It is a lucrative field but can be very difficult for those who have a limited network.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are behavioral and straightforward, mostly goal oriented.   Answer Question

Associate Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Previous experience in the industry will be your strongest strength. However, if you have no experience in finance, you will have a high chance of success if you can show you're willing to be a team player and you're willing to work as hard as it takes to get the job done.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you feel you are the best person for this position?   Answer Question

Graduate Program Interview

Applied online, had to submit resume and cover letter. Was emailed back within a week and had a phone interview a month later. Interview was easy, she asked basic questions about myself and where I see myself in five years.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Meet with some of the intern managers and talked about goals. Then presented a presentation about northwestern mutual and the history. Came back for second interview and talked about how to get certafied.

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2014.

My interview process with Northwestern was very relaxed and low-stress. However, this might not be the case for all Northwestern Mutual branches.

My first interview was very structured with your typical interview questions and my second interview was more about answering my questions about the internship

Interview Questions
    • When you hear the world "sales" what one word comes to mind?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2014.

Was requested to come out to Melville office to interview for a spring semester financial representative internship in mid/late December. Met with a young woman who interviewed me. Pretty basic questions. I follow up our interview 1 day later with an email, to which I get an automatic response saying she is out of the office until the first week of January. I never did get a reply from her, and never heard anything at all from them. Very very unimpressed. Even if they did offer it to me, I would not have taken it.

Interview Questions
    • We have all had our positive experiences, what is one experience in which you failed?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2014.

Stared with an interview with the HR head. Then a week later a panel interview. Then an interview with the head of the local company. Then a talk about compensation and a requirement to complete market surveys. This is when the reality sets in and if you can do it or not. The employees are extremely professional and courteous.

I could not do a position that is 100% commission

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2014.

Behavioral Questions were asked. If you look around on the internet there are many questions that will give you a general idea. Remember to show interest in working for the company and smile...It is a challenging job but doable if you are self-motivated and know 200 people.

Interview Questions
    • What other companies have you applied to?
      Why do you want work with us?
      Do you know 200 people?
      How would people who know you describe you when you are not present in the room?
      Are you coachable?
      A time when you faced difficult situation and how did you resolve it?

Answer Question