Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015
1,252 Interview Reviews

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton Meadows, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Princeton Meadows, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

Quick and easy process. Applied through college fair. They go int touch with me within 2 weeks or so. Seemed like a very good opportunity, but it just wasn't right for me personally.

Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Fayetteville, AR) in May 2015.

Interview

I actually didn't apply and they called me. They made me do two interviews. The first was with the hiring manager and then the second one was with field director. After that, I had to get 50 referrals and bring them to Tulsa, OK to be interviewed by the managing partner at HQ. When I arrived back from Tulsa, then they allowed me to sign a contract that would extend until after a 3-week sales school, licensing class and test for insurance, and getting "10 lives".

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little about yourself.   1 Answer
    • What's the most courageous thing you've ever done?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Well, it's commission based only. They do give you a little amount of money after sales school and it was easy to negotiate with the managing partner in Tulsa, but the field directors in Fayetteville did not hold up this agreement.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Extremely productive and informational. Very inviting and focused on the individual with the HR staff being very friendly and professional. I am a current client so the atmosphere was familiar as I have been there for consulting beforehand. The office is very nice, conservatively styled and has the feeling of a well established financial firm as it is.

Interview Questions

• What aspects of your current job do you enjoy? what aspects would you like to change?   Answer Question

I did not decline, we are still working on it.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

I was referred by a current intern. A recruiter reached out to me and set up a casual interview on my campus. Next interview was at the office and was formal with behavioral questions and what I wanted to get out of this career. I had 2 more interviews before offered the position. It was lots of talking and learning about me.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview consisted of 4 1 hour sessions. Questions were situational project manager based questions around budget, timeline, and failure. Each session was relatively straight forward, and nothing new that I haven't experienced before. I treated the interview like a conversation and I was able to be much more comfortable in the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Describe to me one time you failed, and how did you change and learn from that.   Answer Question

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

It was a brief phone interview which lasted around 15 - 20 minutes. However, do not apply for North Western Mutual, since all they ask you to do is to give phone calls to other people and attend the meeting to writing down notes. That's literally all.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your self and some general questions regarding if I can do sales   Answer Question

Associate Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Cincinnati, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, asked to have a personality test to compliment the skills of the FA. This was followed by a 1 on 1 interview, the entire process took about a week.

Interview Questions

• general questions, why you want to work here, strengths   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Very formal and very professional. I didn't like the fact I dealt with four different people but I did like all of them. I would have preferred I was told details on the first or second meeting rather than the last. Found out it was an insurance sales spot to try and sell to all people you know and then cold call everyone imaginable. Not finance, not a good step to being in money management.

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Champaign, IL).

Interview

The entire contracting process is a long one. It took me 5 months to complete all the requirements. I met a recruiter at a college career fair and got a phone interview shortly afterward. After the second phone interview I had to take a personality quiz. Then I had a face to face interview where I was given a packet with 5 surveys and what was called Project 100. Another face to face interview followed after the completion of this. I then needed to take a life and health insurance class (about 15 hours over 2 days). The next step was to have my fingerprints scanned and sent in for a background check. Afterwards came traveling to a testing center to take the life and health insurance tests. Only after you pass these tests and pay the licensing fee are you contracted to start the internship.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Long and lost contact multiple times, randomly reached back out to me to recontinue process. Currently in the process of continuing the interview process and will see how it goes. Have to be comfortable selling insurance to friends I hear.