Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015
1,206 Interview Reviews

2.4

Intern Interview

Interview

There were three interviews. The first as a standard interview. The second was with the internship manager. The third you have to give a presentation on the internship to the manager.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Three steps, 1. Phone Interview 2. In person group interview 3. Rhino Project Great Interview process Very nice people and easy to communicate with Felt like more of a conversation to get to know eachother rather than an interview Very professional, especially at their office in Illinois Overall, smooth interview process

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable asking people questions face to face?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in North Andover, MA

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (North Andover, MA).

Interview

I submitted a small profile to a recruiting site and was contacted in less than 24 hours. It seemed desperate to call back that soon. I was then asked to come down for a group interview in one of the offices where 6 of us were shown a PowerPoint and then given separate time with the recruiter for one on one time.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

First it was a 30min phone interview. Then I was offered to come to the office to speak with a director. At the end of the interview I was assigned a project to complete for them in a week. I then came back to the office with my project and I was told to expect a call from them in the next two days regardless of consideration. I was then called and offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Why Northwestern Mutual?   Answer Question
    • What do you think you would have the most difficulty with during this internship?   Answer Question
    • What can I answer for you?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle being denied a sale on the phone?   Answer Question
    • What kind of skills do you think this internship will help you progress with?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Irvine, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

group interview in a room reserved at the university then 3 online questions through e-mail that asks general questions. Once submitting the 3 interviews, the second interview is in person at the office.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, received a small (5 min) phone interview a few days later. After the phone interview I was invited to interview in person in their Houston office. The interview went well; however, it appeared in the end they cared more about getting my contacts than really hiring me. Overall the interview was not tough and the company did a great job of making me feel at home, but in the end it was not the right position for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Manchester, NH) in April 2015.

Interview

First I had a phone interview due to not being able to make the date they originally wanted to do the interview. My second interview was at their manchester office. The woman I interviewed with was extremely nice and very insightful. She certainly got me excited to work for northwestern mutual.

Interview Questions

• What was one time you had a goal and you failed to reach it? Why didn't you reach your goal, and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Hampton, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

I met this company at a hiring event. Had a lengthy discussion to the side when the representative could tell I was interested. I had many questions about their training program since I did not have a finance background. I did not ask about compensation even though that is the temptation, especially with sales/commission jobs. Afterward I spoke with my wife about this particular interaction because I felt a built a good rapport with the representative. A recruiter contacted me within a week, which was a surprise. She called to ask me to visit the office so she could answer my questions but I wasn't busy so I discussed my concerns (looking back I'm glad my wife and I discussed because allowed me add some intellectual rigor to pros/cons of me pursuing this type of job). Her quick call to me became a phone interview and she was able to dispel some of my preconceived notions. In a matter of a week I went from being somewhat interested, to deciding that I did not want to do this type of work, to agreeing with an in-person meeting/interview. I use the term interview because I truly believe anytime you speak to a HR professional/Hiring official you should treat it as an interview because you might not get the job because of how well the interaction is you will not get the job if it goes poorly.

Interview Questions

• What am I looking for in my next job?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process takes about an hour. First I was asked about my background, experience and qualifications and afterwards the recruiter provided me with information about the job and the company. After the initial interview, you required to submit the online assesment test. It takes about thirty minutes and its very straighrforward. Based on the results of the intial interview and test, they make decision within 48 hours whether invite you to the second interview or not.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Washington, DC) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview was an average one. It was done by Skype, but they told me that I would be selling insurance only to my friends and family which was a turn off. Then had to complete a personality quiz which they reviewed.