Northwestern Mutual

Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Haven, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Haven, MI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

I found a position in the West Michigan area and was immediately reached out to by two recruiters from two offices. I had two separate phone interviews, a video interview, and then three in person interviews at three offices.

It's not really a job you negotiate for, as the company knows exactly what they are looking for and have a definitive plan for you to follow. You need to earn it.

Technical Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

I felt the initial contact and instructions from HR were good. The application process was easy enough and not hand written, which I appreciate. The interview questions varied between specific experiences and the behavioral variety but nothing off the wall. My interviews were with two people at a time for about an hour at a time, plus a little time with the HR representative.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral questions always seem to be the toughest to articulate answers to, at least for me. You have to dig deep into your experiences and make sure you answer completely but also concisely.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

Initial meeting followed by a lengthy online personality profile. This profile is heavily based on whether or not you have ever invested in financial services yourself, and how many people in the financial services industry you know. the second interview is to discuss your results and if you qualify you will meet with a higher up. you must be willing to gather 200-300 of your closest friends and family and be willing to sell the financial services.

Interview Questions
    • They kept it very casual, asking simple questions about your goals and ability to go into sales and work on commission.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

I had three interviews during the interview process. The first interview we discussed what my goals were, how would you describe yourself, how would other people view you, ect. Mostly trying to figure out if you are a driven, hardworking person. The second interview we talked about the assessment test you take to make sure you are going to be a go-getter. See if you can build your own clientele of at least 200 people. (make sure you say you work full time in the questionnaire or you will not get a call back. That is what they told me.) Third interview they offered me the job and discussed the training process and all pay. Everyone that worked there was great and I wished I could of taken the job

Interview Questions
    • What was the biggest obstacle you had to overcome? and How would you deal with that problem if you had the chance? Would you deal with the obstacle in the same way?   Answer Question

I declined because, the training process was four weeks long 45 hours a week with no pay. In the past they have given a $4000 sign up. I couldn't afford to have no pay for a month so I had to decline

Financial Representative Interview

Interview with a recruiter. Interview with several different agents about the position. Then submit a business plan and present your plan. Meet with the managing partner who will give you the final approval on joining NML.

Interview Questions
    • question: How are you going to handle not having a guaranteed base of pay?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Latham, NY

I applied through other source – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Invited for initial interview and was given a through overview of the company along with the basic interview questions that one would expect; i.e.. tell us about yourself; why this industry and NWM, etc. Very impressed with the professionalism of the organization and the values of the company. Was explained that the process would be in several stages and that there would be an assessment sent via email to complete.

Interview Questions
    • Did not experience any difficult questions or anything unexpected.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

The interview was very simple, just some basic questions about myself. I do not believe that many who apply and get an interview do not receive an offer. The interview lasted about twenty minutes but I was waiting for about half an hour.

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

3 step process, pretty straight forward, Got the internship and accepted. Room to be extremely successful if you set your mind to it. I met with the partner of the firm and he was a really laid back guy. Gave me stats on salary percentage of the office, I was blown away and motivated to pursue my career here!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, mostly straight forward interview based questions.   Answer Question
    They congratulated me, and I met with the partner of the firm, really cool guy and look forward to meeting him more then once.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

On-boarding and interview process took 4 months. First a recruiter called and did a phone interview, then they asked me to come in to the office and meet with them. By the time I received an offer, 4 months had passed and I met with 6 different people.

Interview Questions
    • How many people do you know that make $250,000 or more?   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation possible, this was a 100% commission based job. The compensation, benefits and expectations were previously set and not negotiable.

Financial Representative Interview

Process was pretty structured. Was put into contact with a recruiter, then set up an interview. Got through the first one but realized the position was not for me. Interview was pretty formal although the recruiter was really nice. Good interview experience