Northwestern Mutual

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Canton, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2010.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend who is currently in the internship process. They called me and talked to me for about 10 minutes before asking me to come in that week. I set up an interview later that week. I went in and had a very professional and quality interview. After 1 hour and 45 minutes she asked me to come back for another interview which is next week.

Interview Question – What is the definition of courage?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Have not gotten there yet.

Rochester, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview. Pretty laid back. Asked typical and easy questions. Then a second interview with a recent graduate who once had the intern. That was easy and basically just to ask questions. Then they sent me 15 surveys to fill out. At this point I became very hesitant about the job and withdrew.

Interview Question – Tell me about sales experience?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The job sucks unless you want to sell life insurance for a living

Manchester, NH

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was called up by the company one day after submitting my resume online. I scheduled a 1 on 1 interview with the campus recruiter and it was very casual. I took a personality test after the first interview and was asked back for a second interview with the branch manager. Although the people seemed nice and helpful at the office, the recruiter said that the internship would mostly be selling insurance to friends, family, and connections. I felt uncomfortable with this and declined the offer.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Sales Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2011.

Interview Details – honestly its a scam. They only talk to people who take the personality test and say they want to be rich and famous (too make sure your driven). The interview after that is very easy and they get you really excited about the job, I know I was. Then they ask you to bring in a list of 50 friends and family with their contact info. You will then spend the summer selling life insurance to your own people (awkward). if you sell a lot they make money and are happy. If not, you get fired and they keep your list to give to their better salesmen. do not do it

Interview Question – tell me a time that you overcame adversity   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – its a scam

Sales Intern Interview

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2010.

Interview Details – First Round: Behavioral/Fit.
Second Round: Sales Pitch.
Third Round: Behavioral/Fit with MD

Interview Question – What is a weakness of yours?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual Sales Intern interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.