Northwestern Mutual

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.5

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Submitted my application through referral. Quick turn around time and was scheduled for interview within one to two weeks. Very streamlined process.

One on one with a recruiter of that firm, extremely friendly and made you feel comfortable. Spoke a lot about the role and day to day activities. Followed by a walk through of my resume and then ended with a tour of their office.

Everyone in the firms seemed extremely friendly. Great culture vibe.

Interview Questions
  • Asked you to speak more in depth about your resume a lot.
    Asked why I would be a good fit for a position like this.
    Typical interview questions.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2014.

Stared with an interview with the HR head. Then a week later a panel interview. Then an interview with the head of the local company. Then a talk about compensation and a requirement to complete market surveys. This is when the reality sets in and if you can do it or not. The employees are extremely professional and courteous.

I could not do a position that is 100% commission

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

The interview process was extensive and took about a month in total. I was contacted by a recruiter on LInkedIn. She called me for a routine phone screening to see if I was a person capable of holding a conversation. Then I was brought in for an interview, with the recruiter. Everything you might expect in an initial interview. Then I was brought back in to meet with the head of the office, who presented me with a project, to see if I had a network of possible customers and if I could get people to trust me and recommend me to other potential leads. This took about 2 weeks to complete. Finally upon getting 100 possible leads, I was brought in to meet with the head of the northeast division in new york city. After discussing the project, it was decided to have a final interview with the original office, which is frankly more of a formality than a true interview, to discuss payment and training process.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to utilize your own personal network, friends and family to use as leads in selling life insurance?   View Answer

In the end, pure commission based pay prevented me from taking the job.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

I had three different interviews with three different managers. Each one was in a different department and the reason why they said they did that, was to see if all the managers thought that I would be a good fit for the organization.

Interview Questions

When I asked the question, "how do you generate your leads?" They could provide me with a direct answer

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

Initial meeting followed by a lengthy online personality profile. This profile is heavily based on whether or not you have ever invested in financial services yourself, and how many people in the financial services industry you know. the second interview is to discuss your results and if you qualify you will meet with a higher up. you must be willing to gather 200-300 of your closest friends and family and be willing to sell the financial services.

Interview Questions
    • They kept it very casual, asking simple questions about your goals and ability to go into sales and work on commission.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online and then was later contacted by email. There was a bit of an issue since I was turned down through the system I applied through, but was contacted by a recruiter. Nevertheless the issue was resolved and I was brought in for interviews, which I was told was the first of four or so rounds.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't expect that they'd ask about what I knew about commissions based sales, but the question was more or less obviously   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

The lady who interviewed me was very professional and seamed genuinely interested in my success. There are 3 rounds of interviews. They provide a lot of needed information during the first meeting. Everyone in the building i came in contact with was polite and happy.

Interview Questions

I wanted to find a job that was closer to my intended major.

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

I went to the career fair and talked to them and gave them my resume. They called me back and scheduled an interview. Now I am going to meet with them in their office.

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Was contacted by a recruiter and the process took one week. After a short phone interview I was invited to have an in person interview the following week. The recruiter asked many behavioral questions and a lot of the every day interview questions. After the interview I was required to take an online assessment to see how I would do in sales.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were dissapointed in yourself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

2 interviews, very basic questions. Was not hard to move on at all.

Poor place to work.