Northwestern Mutual

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dayton, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2013.

Interview Details – The lady who interviewed me was very professional and seamed genuinely interested in my success. There are 3 rounds of interviews. They provide a lot of needed information during the first meeting. Everyone in the building i came in contact with was polite and happy.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I wanted to find a job that was closer to my intended major.

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – I applied online and then was later contacted by email. There was a bit of an issue since I was turned down through the system I applied through, but was contacted by a recruiter. Nevertheless the issue was resolved and I was brought in for interviews, which I was told was the first of four or so rounds.

Interview Question – I didn't expect that they'd ask about what I knew about commissions based sales, but the question was more or less obviously   Answer Question

Troy, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter and the process took one week. After a short phone interview I was invited to have an in person interview the following week. The recruiter asked many behavioral questions and a lot of the every day interview questions. After the interview I was required to take an online assessment to see how I would do in sales.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were dissapointed in yourself.   Answer Question

Westport, CT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2013.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, very basic questions. Was not hard to move on at all.

Interview Question – None. All very simplistic and expected.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Poor place to work.

Sales Representative

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward interview process. They really just try to get a good feel for how you're motivated and where your motivation comes from. They like to hire people that are well connected and have good connections in the community. The process starts with a phone interview process, then a in office interview and finally you have to put a presentation together on why you would be a good fit for the company.

Interview Question – What motivates you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It's all commission job

McLean, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Interview Details – I went to the career fair and talked to them and gave them my resume. They called me back and scheduled an interview. Now I am going to meet with them in their office.

Interview Question – Name a time you worked well in a group   Answer Question

Santa Barbara, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2011.

Interview Details – I spoke with a Northwestern Mutual representative at a career fair on campus. Emailed them a resume afterward and received an email scheduling an interview. The first interview was very easy, mostly informative. I was giving "homework" to fill out for the second interview (to take place the following week). Homework consisted of compiling referrals ie friends and family you can hawk life insurance to. Sales Reps only make commission, I didn't feel comfortable with the referral thing, and the position is a glorified knife salesman; I declined to go to the second interview.

Interview Question – How would you describe yourself competitively? (ie crazy driven etc)   Answer Question

Woburn, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

Interview Details – 30-45 min interview. I wasn't asked many interview questions that were too difficult or made me have to think. One that stood out would be: What would be your dream typical day at work? It almost seemed to easy to me. Don't get me wrong, NWM is a legitimate Fortune 500 company, but it seemed like they were almost desperate for Salespeople. They wanted me to form a market around my family and that was something I wasn't comfortable doing.

Interview Question – What do you envision your typical workday to look like?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I did not want to start of my career selling insurance. Commission based salary to start off.

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2009.

Interview Details – Got called in for interview and prior to meeting 1:1 was asked to complete a couple of test including a personality test. Towards the end of the interview the interviewee told me I would probably not be hired because I did not have enough personal potential customers. This was after I told them that I had only been living in the area where the job was located for a year. It makes me wonder if they hire people based on how many of their own connections they can bring in

Interview Question – Are your more like your mother or father, and why?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2010.

Interview Details – good communication for director of selection, nice meeting. sounds like they are looking for the best and the fittest. 1200 interviews and only 40 make it. wow. sure would want to be one of those 40. positive atmosphere, hard working men and women. nice office, everyone gets their own office. seems like not too many meetings. hard work is what it takes.

Interview Question – where do you want to be personally, professionally, financially   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual Sales Representative interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.