Northwestern Mutual

Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.4

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Applied through the college career event. After 1 month or so, got a call from the recruiter to schedule a phone interview. Interview lasted for 30 minutes, all questions were behavioral no-brainers.

After another 2 weeks received an invitation to attend a final interview in Milwaukee.

The interview in Milwaukee was complemented by a decently sized and moderately delicious free lunch and a standard corporate bs presentation, which included a life-insurance tearjerking video. There were another 25 lucky interns-to-be there, too. My competitors for those scarse intern jobs were mainly guys majoring in CS, wearing grey suits with little to no social skills.

The interviewer in Milwaukee asked me exactly the same questions I have already heard during the phone interview and looked bored, noting down my answers on a clipboard and noding his head. I was expecting to be tested on my knowledge of data structures and Java coding skills, but this did not happen.

After 1 week I received a call with a job offer, and felt pressured to act immediately. I asked for some time to decide and was allowed to. Overally, it wasn't a bad experience: everyone was friendly and approachable ( except my competitors) , but NW location in Milwaukee vs Chicago and their low pay vs other options I had prompted me to reject the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with your peers and how you resolved it   Answer Question

Low pay comparing to other options. "Sub-prime" location comparing to other options.

Technical Interview Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2014.

I felt the initial contact and instructions from HR were good. The application process was easy enough and not hand written, which I appreciate. The interview questions varied between specific experiences and the behavioral variety but nothing off the wall. My interviews were with two people at a time for about an hour at a time, plus a little time with the HR representative.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral questions always seem to be the toughest to articulate answers to, at least for me. You have to dig deep into your experiences and make sure you answer completely but also concisely.   Answer Question

Any Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

They will bring you in multiple times and for lengthy interview meetings.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Expect what you would get from any other place, but they will setup 3-4 interviews on the same day with multiple people. Expect to be there for some time.   Answer Question
    They will not negotiate on time off.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Initial contact was through college career fair.
    On-campus interview was done as part of the follow-up to the career fair.
    Invited to interview on headquarter campus shortly after on-campus interview.
    Interview included 1 HR employee, an HR-focused manager, and an IS-focused manager.

None

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Crosse, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Crosse, WI

interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

The process is a little overwhelming, but the environment is very laid back. It is easy to be relaxed and there aren't really any surprises, very basic interview questions. You will have to perform field surveys and give a presentation, which is a little much, but easy enough to do.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic questions, but they put a lot of focus on what YOU want out of the experience, where you want to be in life, what your goals are...a little more personal than professional.   Answer Question

Facility Project Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Received a simple phone call requesting and interview. They were very flexible with the schedule of the interview. I first met with someone in HR and went through fairly standard interview questions. The second step was a tour of the campus with two very knowledgeable peers to the person that would be hired for this position. The tour was somewhat overwhelming when you realize everything that would fall in to the realm of responsibilities for this position. The third step was an interview with the supervisor of this position and another supervisor. Again, this included fairly standard interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't entirely difficult, but the interview was much different than I expected. There was absolutely no small talk. It was all business. All questions were situational type questions asking for examples that were read directly off a piece of paper. While you talk, the interviewers will frantically scribble down notes. I personally expected a much different interview from a company like Northwestern Mutual, and wasn't really prepared for this type of interview. All in all, it seems like a great company with great perks, but unfortunately, I just wasn't on top of my game. Be prepared!   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

The interview was very easy and personable. No question was asked that I wasn't able to review and prepare for on glassdoor the night before my interview. The interview process is multi-faceted and I was given the opportunity by a Financial Rep whom I met at my current service industry job. I went to the initial interview to see what NW was all about and did move on to the second round, however, I removed myself from the application process because I felt it was not a good fit for me.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

First got a phone interview that was really basic, the standard "tell me about yourself," why did you chose your major, tell me about a recent challenge you've faced and how you overcame it. Then they wanted me to take a test on excel, powerpoint and word, which was I guess the second round. The third round involved me having to contact a certain number of people to sell something, which I wasn't interested in doing so I turned them down.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the most difficult was: "Tell me about a time you were a leader of a project or task and something went wrong. How did you fix it?"   Answer Question

IT Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Campus Interview
    On site all day Interview (10AM ~ 4PM)

Interview Questions
    • Would you be able to present in front of the higher managements?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Don't take their offers, unless you want to cold call 100 of your closest friends and family members.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest weakness?   View Answer
    • How do you plan on preparing for this position?   View Answer

They call their telemarketing service a sales position to interns,