Northwestern Mutual

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Underwriter Interview

Franklin, WI

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2012.

Interview Details – Before interviewing had to take a test with HR. Then was scheduled for interview, which is in groups. Interview is with 2 managers for job role and then a separate interview with HR specialist.

Interview Question – Most questions were straight forward. Nothing too difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Developer
Milwaukee, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Initial contact was through college career fair.
On-campus interview was done as part of the follow-up to the career fair.
Invited to interview on headquarter campus shortly after on-campus interview.
Interview included 1 HR employee, an HR-focused manager, and an IS-focused manager.

Interview Question – Expectation for career path in 3, 5, 8+ years.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

College Financial Representative Interview

College Financial Representative
La Crosse, WI

I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2013.

Interview Details – The process is a little overwhelming, but the environment is very laid back. It is easy to be relaxed and there aren't really any surprises, very basic interview questions. You will have to perform field surveys and give a presentation, which is a little much, but easy enough to do.

Interview Question – Pretty basic questions, but they put a lot of focus on what YOU want out of the experience, where you want to be in life, what your goals are...a little more personal than professional.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Financial Representative
Middleton, WI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2012.

Interview Details – I acquired this internship through the managing director and head recruiter for the network office. I began by setting an initial meeting and then continued to meet with the MP and other employees. From there, I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – How do you deal with a system with no base salaries?   Answer Question

Facility Project Support Specialist Interview

Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Received a simple phone call requesting and interview. They were very flexible with the schedule of the interview. I first met with someone in HR and went through fairly standard interview questions. The second step was a tour of the campus with two very knowledgeable peers to the person that would be hired for this position. The tour was somewhat overwhelming when you realize everything that would fall in to the realm of responsibilities for this position. The third step was an interview with the supervisor of this position and another supervisor. Again, this included fairly standard interview questions.

Interview Question – Questions weren't entirely difficult, but the interview was much different than I expected. There was absolutely no small talk. It was all business. All questions were situational type questions asking for examples that were read directly off a piece of paper. While you talk, the interviewers will frantically scribble down notes. I personally expected a much different interview from a company like Northwestern Mutual, and wasn't really prepared for this type of interview. All in all, it seems like a great company with great perks, but unfortunately, I just wasn't on top of my game. Be prepared!   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Brookfield, WI

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

Interview Details – Different levels of interviews. Made it past second round when I realized this internship was more of a sales and cold calling than I had wanted to do.

Interview Question – Would you be able to obtain a list of people you would be willing to contact for Northwestern?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Got an offer to move onto next round, decided to decline for other endeavors

Very Easy Interview

Financial Representative Interview

Financial Representative

Interviewed at Northwestern Mutual

Interview Details – The interview was very easy and personable. No question was asked that I wasn't able to review and prepare for on glassdoor the night before my interview. The interview process is multi-faceted and I was given the opportunity by a Financial Rep whom I met at my current service industry job. I went to the initial interview to see what NW was all about and did move on to the second round, however, I removed myself from the application process because I felt it was not a good fit for me.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – First got a phone interview that was really basic, the standard "tell me about yourself," why did you chose your major, tell me about a recent challenge you've faced and how you overcame it. Then they wanted me to take a test on excel, powerpoint and word, which was I guess the second round. The third round involved me having to contact a certain number of people to sell something, which I wasn't interested in doing so I turned them down.

Interview Question – Probably the most difficult was: "Tell me about a time you were a leader of a project or task and something went wrong. How did you fix it?"   Answer Question

IT Internship Interview

Milwaukee, WI

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview Details – Campus Interview
On site all day Interview (10AM ~ 4PM)

Interview Question – Would you be able to present in front of the higher managements?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Milwaukee, WI

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in April 2012.

Interview Details – Don't take their offers, unless you want to cold call 100 of your closest friends and family members.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – They call their telemarketing service a sales position to interns,

Interviews for Top Jobs at Northwestern Mutual

Worked for Northwestern Mutual? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Northwestern Mutual interview questions and advice in Wisconsin. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Northwestern Mutual employees and interview candidates.