Northwestern University Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.7

Library Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

I applied online through the website, heard back from the department director through email to arrange interview times. First we had a phone call, talking briefly about my experience and basic information. Then scheduled an in-person interview where I learned about how the system works, what my role will be like, etc.

Project Management Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL).

Interview

I applied through the former Project Cafe (now since re-branded as FFRA). I went through 5 rounds: a prelim phone screen, an in-depth phone screen, an in-person review with two people, then an in-person with 7 people, followed by a luncheon with a few people, then finally a one-on-one with the director of the department. The process, though long works, is thorough and helps identify the best candidate. I wish others were as thoughtful in the process.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle X scenario or Y personnel problem?   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Began with a phone interview and was them brought in two additional times to meet with support staff as well as director level staff. There was a group interview as well as one on one with upper level management. The atmospher was casual and not high stakes.

Interview Questions

• What strengths do you believe you would bring to the office?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

I received an email about a week after submitting the application. The Skype interview was two days later. I was told they would make their decision in 2-3 weeks, but never heard from them again.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Met with a few different professors over 2 days, attended a poster event, a few lectures, and a few social events. Professors asked questions about our interest level in the program, our backgrounds, and also expected us to ask engaging scientific questions.

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Long, slow interview process. Very thorough and informative. Dedicated to process and students. Multiple interview rounds. Received a call 4 months after initial application. Asked a lot of questions about past experiences.

Research Technologist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Interviewer was very nice and explained her position well. Kept the position very vague in terms of the extent of the job description. Toured around the facility. Was not very communicative outside of interview process, done only by the administrative assistant.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Interview

I had a Phone screen with recruiter. I was then set up for a group interview with three people. The interview was based on behaviorial interview questions with each person asking a question then on to the next.

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I was asked a lot of questions about what kind of worker I am, what kind of work environment I like, and how I respond to certain situations. It was a good interview and they were very professional.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with a disgruntled customer or colleague.   Answer Question

PhD Candidate Interview

Interview

Interview was conducted by my advisor, it is a case by case thing. Most likely, you will be prepared to answer the questions related to your research and your prior working/research experience. Most of the time, it is not difficult.