Northwestern University

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

2.7

Academic Office Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northwestern University.

After submitting my resume and basic information through their HR website and submitting my supplemental application where they asked questions about why I would fit the position, I was contacted for a phone interview a week later. The Summer Program Director contacted me and she was very friendly and open to answering any questions during the interview.

She asked questions about my work experience, and some behavioral questions which were not difficult. The questions were about working on a team, logistical planning, and assessing your strengths and weaknesses. She then provided time at the end for to ask any questions about the program. She then said she contact me within a week, and I was provided with a job offer about two days after the interview.

Overall I had a very positive interview experience, and because of the exciting and engaging work the program does I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions
    There is no room for negotiation. In the job description, it clearly states what salary one would receive.

Web Content Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University.

Phone interview by recruiter. This was followed by an In-person interview with hiring manager and potential group of co-workers. No follow-up after in-person interview. Ideally, there should have been a phone interview with the hiring manager before an in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer asked for what I considered my area of specialization in web development. This was odd, considering it was a multi-role position.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern University.

Applying to graduate school is a complex situation that is detailed in blogs and books available all over the internet. The key point for a social science position was to make sure I had developed a connection with the research faculty I wanted to work with beforehand. After applying, I was invited to a 'visiting weekend' where the applicants get to meet and chat with faculty and current students. This is usually a full-day (or more) of meeting and interviewing with multiple people in the department; which feels much more like a meet and greet than an interview. This is fairly standard practice for graduate recruitment, and is used to assess fit between the applicant and graduate program. In general, I had a very smooth interview process and found out the decision a few weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • This was a fairly relaxed interview process, but one difficult question I did receive was to justify my desired methods for research that I wished to pursue.   View Answer
    They offered the standard package that was (from my understanding) not actually negotiable. It was fairly competitive with offers I had from other universities, so I accepted.

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University.

The Hiring Manager emailed to schedule after about 20 day later of applying online
    I was late to the interview because I was not able to find parking. Once I got to the office, I quickly met with the with the Manager. Standard questions were asked, the manager provided a relaxing environment. I had the opportunity to also be interviewed by an employee. The whole process took about 1.5 hours. A week later, HR contacted me to start the background check. Two weeks after, I was offered the job.

Did not negotiate

Data Manager Interview

The interview process went very smoothly and I was hired immediately. There was nothing uncomfortable, both the manager and director were both easy to talk with. This is an excellent company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was about salary expectation.   Answer Question
    There was negotiation, salary was offered as is.

Human Resources Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern University in August 2014.

A month after I applied for the position a recruiter emailed me about 6 questions to answer, it was pretty much an email interview. After 2 months a different recruiter emailed me inviting me for a phone interview. The phone interview went well, very standard questions. I was told the next step in the process is the hiring committee reviewing all the notes from the phone interviews and deciding who they wanted to invite for face to face interviews. I was told I would be contacted within the next two weeks. It has been a month and I still have not heard anything yet.

Coordinator Interview

Behavioral questions were asked along with experience and what would you do in given situation. Most basic questions you can expect in the interview process. Your experience and why you are a good fit for the company.

Training Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University.

Northwestern's interview process was very warm & friendly. After applying via their website I was contacted through email. Then there was a phone interview. The next step was a in-person interview. During the phone portion I was interviewed by 2 people. During the in-person portion I was interviewed by 3 people and I had to present a workshop to a team of 5-10 people.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were general. The only thing I was worried about was the workshop presentation, but the NU team was very helpful and answered any questions I had.   Answer Question

Public Relations Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University in July 2014.

It was phone interview, with the standard questions- not too difficult but they expect you to know the positions you are applying to very well. It looks like a good working environment and good culture.

Statistical Analyst/Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Northwestern University.

Day long interviews are set up by an administrative assistant, after which you meet with several faculty and staff. Generally, you meet with personnel in the specific department that you're applying for (oncology, internal medicine, etc). Interviews last somewhere between 15 minutes and 1 hour. Lunch is included.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were about bioinformatics techniques. If you work in -omics data (proteomics, genomics, etc), this shouldn't be a problem for you.   View Answer