Northwestern University Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.7

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Met with a few different professors over 2 days, attended a poster event, a few lectures, and a few social events. Professors asked questions about our interest level in the program, our backgrounds, and also expected us to ask engaging scientific questions.

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Long, slow interview process. Very thorough and informative. Dedicated to process and students. Multiple interview rounds. Received a call 4 months after initial application. Asked a lot of questions about past experiences.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Interview

I had a Phone screen with recruiter. I was then set up for a group interview with three people. The interview was based on behaviorial interview questions with each person asking a question then on to the next.

PhD Candidate Interview

Interview

Interview was conducted by my advisor, it is a case by case thing. Most likely, you will be prepared to answer the questions related to your research and your prior working/research experience. Most of the time, it is not difficult.

Assistant Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

I applied online via the NU website. I submitted my resume, but not a cover letter even thought they asked for one. There were also a handful of background questions to answer online. I was contacted by HR about two weeks later and had my first 15 minute interview with someone from HR who could not have been nicer. She asked really easy questions and gave me plenty of opportunity to brag about myself. After that I met with the hiring manager and I was stumped a few times by her questions (they were not unreasonable, I just could have been more prepared. A week or so later I met with the hiring manager again and she told me that I would not be offered the position. I was already an employee for Northwestern and I currently still am. My own manager was very helpful with process.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. A lot of customer service related questions, what if you have a disagreement with a coworker, how organized are you, etc.   Answer Question

Web Project Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Hiring process seemed to move along quickly after decisions were made. HR and hiring manager reached out via e-mail so at times there was more than one stream of information given. When initial offer was made over phone, only salary and start date were presented. NU gives 48 hours for an offer reply. It seemed to be expected that candidate accept/decline offer and then an acceptance confirmation with offer details is sent via e-mail. Negotiation regarding salary is not recommended nor does it seem to be expected for this position because it's an entry level position and because NU is in the higher-ed industry and rates are comparable to non-profits. Start date was flexible but ASAP seemingly due to fiscal year restrictions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to teach someone something.
      What is your area of interest?
      How do you prioritize when you have many things to do?
      Tell me about your job history and why you're here today.
      What do you look for in your ideal work environment?
      What is your experience with web development?
      Describe a time when a client was unhappy with your work (was asked this twice).
      What did you do when your teammate did something well?
      How do you deal with rude people?
      What is something you wish to develop about yourself?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Phone interview by recruiter. This was followed by an In-person interview with hiring manager and potential group of co-workers. No follow-up after in-person interview. Ideally, there should have been a phone interview with the hiring manager before an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked for what I considered my area of specialization in web development. This was odd, considering it was a multi-role position.   Answer Question

Academic Office Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

After submitting my resume and basic information through their HR website and submitting my supplemental application where they asked questions about why I would fit the position, I was contacted for a phone interview a week later. The Summer Program Director contacted me and she was very friendly and open to answering any questions during the interview.

She asked questions about my work experience, and some behavioral questions which were not difficult. The questions were about working on a team, logistical planning, and assessing your strengths and weaknesses. She then provided time at the end for to ask any questions about the program. She then said she contact me within a week, and I was provided with a job offer about two days after the interview.

Overall I had a very positive interview experience, and because of the exciting and engaging work the program does I accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no room for negotiation. In the job description, it clearly states what salary one would receive.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL).

Interview

Applying to graduate school is a complex situation that is detailed in blogs and books available all over the internet. The key point for a social science position was to make sure I had developed a connection with the research faculty I wanted to work with beforehand. After applying, I was invited to a 'visiting weekend' where the applicants get to meet and chat with faculty and current students. This is usually a full-day (or more) of meeting and interviewing with multiple people in the department; which feels much more like a meet and greet than an interview. This is fairly standard practice for graduate recruitment, and is used to assess fit between the applicant and graduate program. In general, I had a very smooth interview process and found out the decision a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• This was a fairly relaxed interview process, but one difficult question I did receive was to justify my desired methods for research that I wished to pursue.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered the standard package that was (from my understanding) not actually negotiable. It was fairly competitive with offers I had from other universities, so I accepted.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

The Hiring Manager emailed to schedule after about 20 day later of applying online
    I was late to the interview because I was not able to find parking. Once I got to the office, I quickly met with the with the Manager. Standard questions were asked, the manager provided a relaxing environment. I had the opportunity to also be interviewed by an employee. The whole process took about 1.5 hours. A week later, HR contacted me to start the background check. Two weeks after, I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not negotiate