Notch

5 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Entry Level Account Manager Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Notch in February 2012.

Interview Details – I am really not sure why people need to write unfair and unwarranted things about a company. I thought the interview was very much at ease and broken down so that I understood exactly what is was the company does.

I thought it refreshing that the man that interviewed me was very honest with me in the fact that what the company does is not for everyone, and that after 3 interviews he does not hire anyone that does not think the company will be an asset to them.

The position was not for me, but that does not mean it would not be a great match for some one else.

Also, for the idiot person that says there is no tie to Staples, do some research and stop blogging negativity. Quill IS a division of Staples and it represents 25% of their annual review.

Interview Question – What is it that you are looking for in a posion that best suites you?   View Answer

Sales Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Notch in January 2012.

Interview Details – This was a very strange interview and I knew from the start that this would not be my choice of a working environment. The first impression upon entering the building was awkward. The waiting room was full of other candidates that were waiting to be interviewed. The applicants just kept funneling in. The receptionist at the desk was returning calls to other applicants who have not returned her previous calls... you are in this quite room listening to the receptionist repeat over and over and over "this is my last and final call about your resume..." To me, that made the company sound desperate.

My interviewer was obviously trying to intimidate by speaking down to me and defining all the business terminology that he used. The position on the website is very obscure and is not clear about the job details, or responsibilities. From what I gathered from the interview: The company is going to train you by putting you in a class with other individuals they have also recently hired. They teach you basic sales strategies and when you "prove" that you are a "good presenter," then you become a team lead. The team lead then manages where the sales groups go and what sales strategies they use. I was told that I would be focusing on outside sales. Again, there was no clarity on their website/job description that this would be an outside sales position.

What they sell... Office products. They claim that they sell for staples, but as my interviewer explained more details, you actually sell the same wholesale products staple sells. So there is not a direct tie to staples. The company you are actually selling for is Quill. You are actually applying to be a middle man. You sell wholesale items from Quill to clients (ie: doctors offices).

What they told me I would be doing on the phone was COMPLETELY different from what the company actual does.

Is the company legit? I have no idea. All I know is that it was not the place for me, I don't need business terminology defined for me while I am in an interview. As another interviewee said on their review... something was definitely OFF.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
  • Before you go on, let me tell you about what we do here at Notch, INC, because this job is not for everyone and not many take our offers....He then explained what the company does.   Answer Question

Entry Level Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Notch in August 2011.

Interview Details – I really appreciated the one-on-one time the hiring manager took to interview me! My interview was at 2:00 PM in the afternoon and I was late because of traffic. At most businesses this would have disqualified me, however I called ahead and they understood.

The hiring manager I met with was kind and just set and asked me questions about my past work experience and then explained fully what the company does, and the growth they were incurring. At no time did I feel uncomfortable, looked down on because I was not unemployed, nor did he hide anything about what the company does. He explained fully about the paid training, and then the choice of full commission plus bonuses, or base plus commission after training. The clients that the company represents are all Fortune 500, everyone is a W-4 employee, and at no time is money ever handled. He was also very up front about no one being able to work for the company without passing a 7 year background check, and in some cases, a drug screening.

After sitting and talking to him, we both came to the conclusion that because of my family schedule and school schedule the position would not be a good fit for me. If not for those issues I would have really wanted to work with him.

His upfront, easy demeanor made for a great interview that I felt good about myself coming out of! I wished all interview were like that.

Interview Question – Are you looking for a position that will train you into a position of responsibility?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Charlotte, NC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Notch in June 2011.

Interview Details – Notch, Inc. has a heavy presence on job recruitment sites such as careerbuilder, monster, etc. I figured it may be the typical multi-level-marketing gimmick that so often preys on recent college graduates, but I decided to give it a try anyways. While in the waiting room for my interview, I saw two other candidates filling out paperwork. My interview time was for 10:30 however I didn't actually begin until 11:00. The interview was 1 on 1 with the hiring manager. I controlled most of the interview, mainly trying to figure out what exactly Notch, Inc does (the website is incredibly vague). It turns out that they are a sales outsourcing company, and in particular, they sell office supplies (mainly cold calling) for Staples. After a brief back and forth discussion, I was invited back for a second interview, which was a 9 to 5 shadowing process. I declined the offer as I knew Notch, Inc was not right for me.

Some may find it right up their alley however. I couldn't find evidence of a MLM scam that you see so often in entry level sales jobs. However since I haven't worked for them I don't know how much of the promised profit and advancement is true.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in sales?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I did not particularly want to cold call businesses, which the employer said was about 40% of what they do. Also, I didn't get the "professional" vibe from the hiring manager - something seemed a bit off. In addition, from what I hear of the office supplies market, it can be very competitive

Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Notch in May 2012.

Interview Details – So glad I can respond. I read all the negative comments and still went to "see for myself." When I did the 1st interveiw, it was with an attractive lady and it took about 15 minutes. The 2nd interview was to ride with someone to an assigned area, park the car, and walk the streets (90 degrees in a suit no exceptions, stopping by every business we saw). Our task was to just show up unexpectedly and try to sell quill products to a company that is functioning fine without them. Then if they were busy and only wanted a catalog or a business card, we could not do that, so no one trusts us. If they are, and trust people on the street without business cards with their account number, Notch can definitely save them much money around 20-30%. As most people don't trust salesman in these circumstances, the sales are few. Yes, there are two forms of payment to employees . . . Base + Commission, and Commission only. The trick is that no one gets a dime without making 8 sales in a week, including those who opt for base pay ($400) Then as many areas have been milked in charlotte, most have areas outside of charlotte and they have to drive their own cars daily filling up with gas that would eat about a third of the base pay with a fuel effecient vehicle. They get reimbursed for gas at tax time, not by the company, but a simple write off of about .55 per/gal. As you can see the job sucks this is why the have to spend money advertising for employees and those who have too big of an ego pretend they have been hired when they werent or they were and failed miserably just like everybody else. About 30 people stand up in a room with about 7 chairs doing so called training in the morning which is simply discussind sales techniques and when somebody gets lucky enough to meet the quota. If they can do that for a few weeks, then their job becomes the recruiting, human resources, trainer, manager etc. That seems easy as the pay increases, but then training (business trips that last a week) becomes a necessity and then thay have to move outside of the districts where they market to become a manager stuck with the task of suckering intelligent people in. Obviously I wasn't there long enough to find out what i really wanted to know, the reputation of the owner. You be the judge of this peculiarity, but the owner, the manager, and the top sales person live together in a so-called temporary apartment. What do you think will happen when business slows down here in charlotte . . . I don't know, but I have my suspicion that about 27 people won't have a job. Oh yeah, only young, recent college graduates would knowingly buy into this travelling regime. Also, the trainer also makes profit if you do well when you sell . . . pyramid.

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Notch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Notch interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Notch employees and interview candidates.