Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research

Updated Aug 29, 2014
Updated Aug 29, 2014

Investigator I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research in August 2014.

I applied for the position through Novartis's online website. I received an email asking for a phone interview within one week. After the phone interview I had a second interview with the group lead. During this interview I was told I'd be invited for an on site interview. The interview process was the typical 1 on 1 meetings and 45 minute presentation. My interview was from 8:30-5pm however I was told this was only because I was from out of state, most interviews are half a day. I met with everyone in the group a number of executives and group leads from different departments. Overall it was a great day and I enjoyed the process.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do if given a large amount of money to invest in research..   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

It took a bit of time between the initial phone screening and the setting up of the interview; however, once the process got going, it was fairly smooth. Three days before the interview, I received an itinerary that indicated whom I would be interviewing with. It was a full day of interviewing (8:30am-5pm). I met with a total of twelve people, and I also gave a ~45 min. talk in the middle of the day. There was quite a bit of repetition in terms of the questions I was asked during the one-on-one interviews. I don't know if that was intentional, but it seems to me that this could have been coordinated among the interviewers to shorten the overall process.

Interview Questions
    • During the phone screening, I was asked how I would approach creating a certain in vitro model. I was not necessarily expecting a technical question during the initial screening.   Answer Question

Intern - Computational Chemistry Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research.

Applied online through application portal in December 2012. Notified via email in March 2013 that my application had made it through the initial resume screen. Selected for a 20 minute phone interview conducted by my two future internship mentors. 2nd Round 30 minute interview in-person over breakfast conducted by my two future internship mentors. I was given a formal offer a week after my in-person interview and was asked for a decision within a week deadline.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral and asked about my previous research and teaching experiences.   Answer Question

BS/MS Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research in February 2014.

Phone interview-
    Basically they asked all about related research experience, technical skills, and problem solving methods.
    What's your research hypothesis?
    Why do you want to go this direction?
    Have you try any other methods? Does they work?

Interview Questions
    • Why you want to use this method to solve problem. Any other methods?   Answer Question

Scientific Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research in February 2014.

Got my resume in through my past supervisor at Harvard Med. Was contacted for a phone screening. Then contacted about 7-10 days later for an in-person interview. Interview was delayed a bit due to weather. Ended up being pretty intense, 6-hour interview with about 12 different individuals.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too out of the ordinary. Be prepared to repeat yourself quite a bit as many of the questions were the same, interviewer to interviewer.   Answer Question
    I was offered above what my goal was. I did not negotiate any higher.

Scientific Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research in February 2014.

My resume was passed along after a phone interview with another group went well but proved to be a bad skill match. I received a phone call from a scientist who asked various technical and workplace philosophy questions that were a bit more in depth than my previous phone screens. Shortly after, HR reached out to begin scheduling an on site interview. The interview was a full day (9-5) including lunch and a presentation/seminar segment. It was a long day, but immaculately organized by HR and went like clockwork. I met with the hiring manager first, giving me an overview of the group and asking basic questions, then at the end of the day with a number of follow up questions.I was the last candidate to complete the in person interview, and was contacted a few days later to provide references. About 10 days later I was contacted with an offer which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to give a presentation which was difficult as all the data I could show had to be blinded for confidentiality reasons.   Answer Question
    The offer was substantially higher than that of my previous position and I saw no reason to negotiate higher.

Senior Investigator Interview

Typically involve meeting with lots of people within and outside of the group.

Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research in January 2014.

Overall the process was positive albeit unorthodox (i.e. not what one would expect from reading hints and tips on the internet). Interviews were conducted quickly and efficiently. My situation was somewhat unusual to begin with because I was being interviewed for a position outside my realm of expertise, though marginally related nonetheless. Some examples of the unusual nature of my interview experience are: (1) my first interview was conducted in person; (2) they contacted all my references BEFORE my onsite interview; and (3) apparently I was interviewing for two positions, even though I had assumed it was a single position. The onsite interview was challenging but positive. Their questions were on the redundant side, but they were professional, prompt, and accommodating. I am still awaiting an offer, as they are still interviewing candidates. Will update once I know how it turns out. Expect the unexpected.

Interview Questions
    • My circumstance generated its own challenge, since I was being interviewed for a position on the fringe of my expertise. So interviewers asked me "why do you think you can do Y when your field of expertise is X?"   View Answer

Lab Head Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research in December 2013.

Interview process to a long time from application to response, over a month.
    Once initiated, their system was very professional. I called their travel,agency, and was booked on flights and hotel with no effort and none of my money. Interview went for 12.5 hours including a one hour job talk. Some were intense, some were friendly and inviting. Pleasant experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you looking for this position?   View Answer

Research Associate II Interview

got the phone interview first, received on site visit a week after, had a full day interview with different managers and associates about every 30 min per person.

Interview Questions
    • what would you do when you have a conflict with your manager?   Answer Question

Worked for Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research? Contribute to the Community!