Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research

Engaged Employer

Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research Interview Questions

Updated Jul 7, 2015

SummerDMPK Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research.

Interview

After a day, I got a call back from the lab head of DMPK asking to schedule a phone interview. The interview went pretty well. They asked me questions about my major, my skills, my job experience, my interest in research and etc. They were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Prepare a 0.100 mM solution, if you are a chemistry major this should be an easy question for you.   1 Answer

Summer Scholar Interview

Application

Interview

Telephone Interview. Friendly. Asked to tell about myself, to describe research experiences in detail, to elaborate on the area of interest, some behavioral questions (e.g. do you prefer to work in a group or individually?)

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe area of interest and then explained the project, which turned out to be not in the area of interest I described.   Answer Question

Investigator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (Cambridge, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

Submitted my application and received an informal phone interview. After phone interview had an onsite interview two weeks later. 1 hour presentation for a job talk in a conference room, and then a full day of "science chat" one-on-one interviews in a private room. Had lunch four current employees, and finished up meeting with the hiring managers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was avoided by the recruiter. Initial offer was very competitive including total compensation.

Scientific Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (Cambridge, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was scheduled for 6 hours and I talked to 6 different lab heads within the group for 30min each. I also had the chance to tour the labs and went out for lunch with potential co-workers. Everyone was very nice and courteous. My first impression was the company's relax culture. Tips: be true to yourself and always review your resume before going in for interview. Although the interviewers might not ask very specific technical questions but it's always good to know what media/equipment you used for your previous jobs.

Interview Questions

• Very basic questions such as explain your background, what did you do, what did you use. Nothing too technical or behavioral.   Answer Question

Presidential Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Skype interviews with Supervisor (had to explain my current research), fly over for one day interview - had to talk to various different people from the department and had to give a presentation about current research, afterwards another skype interview to discuss my research plans / ideas for the future proect. Got the offer - had 1 week to decide. Got to know very nice people - no big egos.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest challenge in your last position? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • How would you arrange/manage an in-house collaboration?   Answer Question

Probably a great job, but too little money for quitting academic career

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research.

Interview

Application submitted through the online portal Received an email 1 week after submission requesting a phone interview for the following week. Had the phone interview and the next day was asked to come back for a formal interview onsite. Formal interview consisted of meeting about 15 people, from junior scientists to the director level. I was asked to give a 45-minute seminar. The interview was grueling and lasted all day - make sure to have a snack or two in your pocket and get water or take the bathroom break whenever they offer it to you, even if it means just collecting your thoughts for 2 minutes. You will be talking a lot and there won't be much time to eat or take a breather. All the people I met were courteous, professional and had read my resume, a few had even read my papers. The interview is a mixture of technical questions, leadership questions and general chit-chat about your background/experience. Following the interview, I was asked to provide references and to return again and meet a few others I didn't meet on the day of the interview. At this point I knew the interview had went well and received a few responses from my Thank You emails. After meeting a few more people and going through the reference check, I was made an offer about 1 week later. The whole process took about 3.5-4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• If you had unlimited resources for research, what would you work on?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They made an offer that was 25% more than what I was making at my previous job - little negotiation.

Investigator I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (Cambridge, MA) in September 2014.

Interview

Very low key. Gave a presentation first thing in the morning. Met with group members and HR representative throughout the day. Most of the questions during the day were about the work I presented. They were interested in what I had done and used that to determine my skill level. I interviewed with researchers in multiple fields of expertise.

Interview Questions

• Describe a big challenge I had faced in a collaboration project in the past.   Answer Question

Investigator I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (Cambridge, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position through Novartis's online website. I received an email asking for a phone interview within one week. After the phone interview I had a second interview with the group lead. During this interview I was told I'd be invited for an on site interview. The interview process was the typical 1 on 1 meetings and 45 minute presentation. My interview was from 8:30-5pm however I was told this was only because I was from out of state, most interviews are half a day. I met with everyone in the group a number of executives and group leads from different departments. Overall it was a great day and I enjoyed the process.

Interview Questions

• What would I do if given a large amount of money to invest in research..   Answer Question

Scientist I Interview

Interview

It took a bit of time between the initial phone screening and the setting up of the interview; however, once the process got going, it was fairly smooth. Three days before the interview, I received an itinerary that indicated whom I would be interviewing with. It was a full day of interviewing (8:30am-5pm). I met with a total of twelve people, and I also gave a ~45 min. talk in the middle of the day. There was quite a bit of repetition in terms of the questions I was asked during the one-on-one interviews. I don't know if that was intentional, but it seems to me that this could have been coordinated among the interviewers to shorten the overall process.

Interview Questions

• During the phone screening, I was asked how I would approach creating a certain in vitro model. I was not necessarily expecting a technical question during the initial screening.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research in April 2014.

Interview

Phone interview asking me about my research and research interests. Told me that they will let me know in a couple of weeks and if I do not hear from them in two weeks, they went for someone else. I got an offer letter within 24 hrs. Did not negotiate as the offer was good. Did ask for travel reimbursement to and from NJ.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions as you would expect in an interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation