Novartis Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015
Updated Mar 28, 2015

3.1

Research Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Novartis.

The phone interview by the direct manager was informative and courteous. The in-person interview was 5 hours long, though I felt it could have been far more abridged. Aside from two groups the remaining four groups or individuals I met with had no idea what the job entailed and subsequently did not know what to ask, which led to a lot of pauses. I never received any updates after they told me I made it to the final round and asked for my permission to check references. Overall the experience left me with a sour taste. Poor communication, grilling tactics and underprepared interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • General grilling, "Tell me what you know about A, B and C technologies". In my opinion this is a lazy and disrespectful way of assessing one's knowledge.   Answer Question

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suffern, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suffern, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Novartis.

Time consuming but very clear interview process. HR and local management took very long time to finalize and notifying for job offer. First interview via phone, and second and third interviews were panel based. HR manager and department manager were involved for panel interview. HR waited for long time for offering the job after third interview and medical / physical evalutation. Overall interview process was good. I have joined Novartis before merger of Ciba and Sandoz.

Interview Questions
    • How do you resolve issues with low performer and encourage associate?   View Answer
    • What position do you see yourself in next five years?   View Answer
    There was no room to negotiate.

Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Novartis.

I applied online, received a phone call the next day. The hiring manager asked a few basic questions about my interests and background and invited me for an on-site interview the next day. The interview was pretty standard (behavioral and technical questions). The interviewing team was extremely personable and nice. I received an offer after a few days.

Scientific Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Novartis.

The interview process starts with HR over the phone, then a phone interview with the hiring manager to determine if you should come in. The in person interview is an all day, 8-hour, interview with multiple parties- hiring manager, other PIs in the dept/lab, associates you would be working with, etc. Depending on the size of the group, some interviews are with several people and some one on one. Lunch is provided in the cafeteria where you have a chance to eat with your prospective coworkers.

Interview Questions
    • For science positions, understanding of the biology, pathways, and technology is critical. I was asked about familiarity with specific oncogenic pathways related to the lab's specific focus. Mostly they want to know exactly what your skill sets are and how much of your work you have done independently.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation and it took 2 months to bring me on because they lost the position and had to repost it.

Field Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Novartis.

Met with the hiring manager and many people from the team. Then returned to meet with regional manager before being offered the job. Interview questions were real and relevant to the present position. Not the interview questions that mean nothing to the job. Very casual yet informative.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult piece was meeting with so many people and not knowing who you should be trying to impress the most!   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate a better start date as well as base salary

Marketing and Sales Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Novartis.

Was made clear the process wouldn't even begin until I made my current employer aware that I was pursuing a position with the company. Quick phone interview to review basics; on a scale of 1-10 how experience are you at...? As well as current salary and salary desired.

Interview Questions
    • "How many tennis balls can fit in an airplane?" And "What are you most proud of in your life, non-profession related?"   View Answer
    The offer was more than twice was I was currently making and I was young and naive so I did not negotiate. However, I could have. Company is highly competitive and I probably could have gotten more.

Associate Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Novartis.

Applied via NPC web portal and got a call from the hiring manager directly about two weeks later. Had a 30 min phone screen with him and he wanted to bring me in. Live interviews took about 3 weeks to schedule. The interview team consisted of hiring manager, HR, and 3 peer colleagues within group. Didn't hear back for about 3 weeks until I emailed hiring manager (HR was useless). Hiring manager did call back and gave me the feedback on their decision (something HR should have done) . Hiring manager was great in the entire process. Can't say the same for HR.

Associate Director Interview

Meet with HR first - they will assess compatibility/fit with position. Then meet with hiring manager - assess competency, chemistry and compatibility. Then full day interview with seminar and several 1:1 meetings with levels above, at and below peer level.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the hottest thing in the field right now?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Switzerland, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Switzerland, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Novartis in February 2014.

Was offered an interview for internship during university recruitment.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   View Answer

Senior Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Novartis.

Campus hiring process, submitted resume online and got a call for interview.