Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Novartis Pharmaceuticals in February 2011.

Interview Details – Get into the interview process by working your network of contacts. Unless your sales pedigree matches specifically what the HR recruiter is seeking , you will not likely receive a call back regarding your application. If you impress the hiring manager, they likely have the majority of influence on the decision. The decision ultimately needs to be cleared by the HR business partner and the sales director. At times, the opinion of other managers may be sought out so as to make the interview process transparent and without bias. Novartis has been the target of many discrimination lawsuits. They take everything very seriously.

Interview Question – I've been interviewing people for the past 3 days. Everyone I have interviewed has had at least 10 years of pharmaceutical sales experience with the exception of you. Why should I hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It would have been better if I had asked for a specific number in my counter offer. The hiring manager passed me off to the HR business partner who calculated my starting salary based upon the industry from which I came. I had not additional offer from a different company so I had no leverage for negotiation. I accepted the offer after a failed negotiation. I quickly excelled in the role and my salary has increased by 18% since starting 2.5 years ago.

Milwaukee, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Novartis Pharmaceuticals in January 2009.

Interview Details – I was finishing my MBA and had left my resume on a website that I was assigned to analyze. As soon as I graduated, I was contacted by a recruiter to be considered for a sales position. I had an initial interview with my district manager and he seemed pleasant and was really impressed. He then sent me to speak with the regional director and he was very poker faced and seemed really mean. As I walk to my car, my district manager said "what did you say to him because I never seen him this impressed and he offered me the job.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was how would I handle getting access to a "no see" physician.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate because I was really excited to be hired. Knowing what I know now I would have been a little more savvy with negotiating.

Charlotte, NC

I applied online - interviewed at Novartis Pharmaceuticals in September 2008.

Interview Details – One phone screen with the hiring manager. A face to face interview with the hiring manager and the person that would ultimately be my counterpart in the territory. An interview with a colleague of the hiring manager. Then an offer, first via cell phone, then followed up with a written offer via FedEx!

Interview Question – What was your favorite subject that you studied in college and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I should have pushed to start out as a Senior Rep instead of having to wait to be progressed.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Novartis Pharmaceuticals

Worked for Novartis Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Novartis Pharmaceuticals Sales Consultant interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Novartis Pharmaceuticals employees and interview candidates.