Novell Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Novell in October 2014.

Interview

Phone screen with a recruiter. Second interview with hiring manager and two co-workers. Asked a lot of questions about testing and development process and around Agile methodology and application. Technical interview with lead SDET that had an algorithm question, a code example and an API test whiteboard example. After the interviews, I heard back from the recruiter and then the hiring manager. There was frequent communication with the recruiter that was very helpful and provided lots of follow-up. Overall a good interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview felt somewhat rushed. There was a series of questions given a partially completed interface, how would you test it. A lot of leading questions and re-phrasing that made it difficult to understand where he was going with it. Lots of ambiguity.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Originally told that my salary requirements were too high and I accepted a different offer. Came back a few days later with an increased offer. Seemed like a disconnect between hiring manager and recruiter, but they were willing to go to bat for me.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Novell (Provo, UT).

Interview

Communication leading up to the interview was professional and timely. The HR recruiter did a great job with a screening interview. The actual face-to-face interviews were both one-on-one with the hiring manager and the +1 manager. The team I managed interviewed me as a panel.

Interview Questions

• I was asked why I would want to join the company as it was struggling.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation. I was able to push toward the top of the range with HR before interviews. No movement after that.

Technical Support Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Novell (Provo, UT).

Interview

The interview process involved several expected levels. The people interviewing were professional, knowledgeable, and respectful. Started, as expected with phone interviews and then had a set of interviews first with the manager and then with a panel of team members. The questions asked covered the full spectrum. There were questions to test expected skill level and guage my ability to reason. There were also questions intended to show problem solving skills. And other questions meant to guage professionalism and team experience.

Interview Questions

• No question seemed excessively difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Novell (Provo, UT).

Interview

Phone calls from hiring manager. Interview - phone screen. Interview focused on situational questions rather than behavioral. Offer given on the spot. Overall process is standard for entry level positions.

Interview Questions

• troubleshooting. Basic flow for thought. How would you solve problem A. Some of the problems were screenshots of errors, just to see how you would approach a problem.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Interview

The phone interview and then call in interview and then another call in interview which is all day long

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Novell (Provo, UT) in July 2012.

Interview

Telephonic interviews, followed by personal round. 2 Telephonic rounds.on the second it's a conference call with 3 people on the other side. which is again followed by personal round. In Personal round one was with hiring manager and other with PMO.

Interview Questions

• Some behavioural questions. By taking a scenario how you react if situation arises. etc etc   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Novell (Provo, UT) in May 2012.

Interview

The Novell or Attachmate recruiter contacted me looking for a developer with similar skills. I phone interviewed with the recruiter who was based out of New York and then had two different group interviews. One was with a set of developers and one was with a set of managers, one being the hiring manager. The phone interview went fine although I should have listened to my instincts and declined when she asked me one of the top 10 dumbest interview questions: "what interests you about Novell?" Hmm, you were hiring! But I didn't listen and I went to do the interview anyway. The group interview with the developers went great. They seemed like seasoned professionals which thought about and solved the same types of problems that I work with every day. We hit it off exceptionally well. Then the managers came in for the group interview to just "see if I was a good fit for the team." They continued for the next hour to ask the worst interview questions I have ever experienced. "Where do you see yourself in five years?" "Why do you want to work here?" "Rate yourself." "Why didn't you rate yourself perfect?" When they asked for the second time, "Tell us in 1 minute why we should hire you over all the other candidates we have interviewed," I couldn't take it anymore and replied: "Did you want this answer different than the last time I answered it?" They both kept a completely straight face as if they hadn't asked the same dumb question twice, and replied, "yes, answer it differently." At that point I knew, even if they offered me the job, that I wouldn't want to work anywhere near these managers... ever!

Interview Questions

• How would people communicate in a perfect world?   27 Answers
    • Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • Where would you rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 among all the other people that have interviewed for this job?   1 Answer
    • Describe yourself in three words.   1 Answer

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Novell (Salt Lake City, UT) in April 2012.

Interview

Great Interview Process. Really detailed questions that helped me to focus more clearly on the position's contribution to business goals.

Interview Questions

• Calculate the CPA for various social media channels.   1 Answer

Found a better company closer to home.

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Novell (Provo, UT) in April 2011.

Interview

Asked regular questions about my resume and background.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about credit?   1 Answer

Parner Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Novell (Chicago, IL) in August 2010.

Interview

I was interviewed by HR. This person had no sense of humor. Voice was monotone. Not a got listener. After discussing my my experience, this person asked me if I had any experience as a..........I wanted to say to this person "didn't you listen to one word I said?" What a loser.....