Novell

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Provo, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Novell.

Interview Details – Communication leading up to the interview was professional and timely. The HR recruiter did a great job with a screening interview. The actual face-to-face interviews were both one-on-one with the hiring manager and the +1 manager. The team I managed interviewed me as a panel.

Interview Question – I was asked why I would want to join the company as it was struggling.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiation. I was able to push toward the top of the range with HR before interviews. No movement after that.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Provo, UT

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Novell in April 2010.

Interview Details – Initial application and contact was very quick. The Director of Product Management himself did the first rounds of interviews to filter more quickly and not wait for recruiters to filter. After the first interview, the second round was a week or so later. Then a long wait.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Novell?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was limited--my boss was great and came in at the max offer point.

Technical Support Engineer III Interview

Technical Support Engineer III
Provo, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Novell.

Interview Details – The interview process involved several expected levels. The people interviewing were professional, knowledgeable, and respectful. Started, as expected with phone interviews and then had a set of interviews first with the manager and then with a panel of team members.
The questions asked covered the full spectrum. There were questions to test expected skill level and guage my ability to reason. There were also questions intended to show problem solving skills. And other questions meant to guage professionalism and team experience.

Interview Question – No question seemed excessively difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer
Provo, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Novell.

Interview Details – Phone calls from hiring manager.
Interview - phone screen.
Interview focused on situational questions rather than behavioral.
Offer given on the spot.
Overall process is standard for entry level positions.

Interview Question – troubleshooting. Basic flow for thought. How would you solve problem A. Some of the problems were screenshots of errors, just to see how you would approach a problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Software Engineer I
Provo, UT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Novell in June 2009.

Interview Details – Met with various managers on the team and team members. The higher software engineers asked more technical questions and managers asked more typical where do you want to be type questions. It was at least 4 hours interview. I also had to interview with the HR person at the beginning.

Interview Question – One of the engineers asked me to solve a link list problem   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was with the hiring manager and she was very nice and it was very fast. Two phone calls

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Provo, UT

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Novell in October 2008.

Interview Details – I interview first for their Customer Service back in 2006 then in 2008 I interviewed for the Inside Sales Rep and got it. All interviews where with a Panel

Interview Question – Why are man holes round   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Unfortunately you can not negotiate pay. At lest that is what they told me

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Provo, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Novell in May 2012.

Interview Details – The Novell or Attachmate recruiter contacted me looking for a developer with similar skills. I phone interviewed with the recruiter who was based out of New York and then had two different group interviews. One was with a set of developers and one was with a set of managers, one being the hiring manager. The phone interview went fine although I should have listened to my instincts and declined when she asked me one of the top 10 dumbest interview questions: "what interests you about Novell?" Hmm, you were hiring!

But I didn't listen and I went to do the interview anyway. The group interview with the developers went great. They seemed like seasoned professionals which thought about and solved the same types of problems that I work with every day. We hit it off exceptionally well.

Then the managers came in for the group interview to just "see if I was a good fit for the team." They continued for the next hour to ask the worst interview questions I have ever experienced.

"Where do you see yourself in five years?"
"Why do you want to work here?"
"Rate yourself."
"Why didn't you rate yourself perfect?"

When they asked for the second time, "Tell us in 1 minute why we should hire you over all the other candidates we have interviewed," I couldn't take it anymore and replied: "Did you want this answer different than the last time I answered it?" They both kept a completely straight face as if they hadn't asked the same dumb question twice, and replied, "yes, answer it differently." At that point I knew, even if they offered me the job, that I wouldn't want to work anywhere near these managers... ever!

Interview Questions

• How would people communicate in a perfect world?   View Answers (27)
  • Why do you want to work here?   View Answer
  • Where would you rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 among all the other people that have interviewed for this job?   View Answer
  • Describe yourself in three words.   View Answer

Credit Analyst Interview

Credit Analyst
Provo, UT

The process took a day - interviewed at Novell in April 2011.

Interview Details – Asked regular questions about my resume and background.

Interview Question – What do you know about credit?   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Provo, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Novell in July 2008.

Interview Details – Recommended by friend at company. 1 long chat with hiring manager covering general aspects of product management.

Interview Question – What was my opinion on the primary focus of product management   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Provo, UT

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Novell in October 2009.

Interview Details – It was very simple and straight forward. It helped that my friend was already working as an intern there.

Interview Question – What do you want to do with your life?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-existant.

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!