Novell Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

3.2

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Provo, UT
Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Novell in May 2012.

The Novell or Attachmate recruiter contacted me looking for a developer with similar skills. I phone interviewed with the recruiter who was based out of New York and then had two different group interviews. One was with a set of developers and one was with a set of managers, one being the hiring manager. The phone interview went fine although I should have listened to my instincts and declined when she asked me one of the top 10 dumbest interview questions: "what interests you about Novell?" Hmm, you were hiring!

But I didn't listen and I went to do the interview anyway. The group interview with the developers went great. They seemed like seasoned professionals which thought about and solved the same types of problems that I work with every day. We hit it off exceptionally well.

Then the managers came in for the group interview to just "see if I was a good fit for the team." They continued for the next hour to ask the worst interview questions I have ever experienced.

"Where do you see yourself in five years?"
"Why do you want to work here?"
"Rate yourself."
"Why didn't you rate yourself perfect?"

When they asked for the second time, "Tell us in 1 minute why we should hire you over all the other candidates we have interviewed," I couldn't take it anymore and replied: "Did you want this answer different than the last time I answered it?" They both kept a completely straight face as if they hadn't asked the same dumb question twice, and replied, "yes, answer it differently." At that point I knew, even if they offered me the job, that I wouldn't want to work anywhere near these managers... ever!

Interview Questions
  • How would people communicate in a perfect world?   View Answers (27)
  • Why do you want to work here?   View Answer
  • Where would you rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 among all the other people that have interviewed for this job?   View Answer
  • Describe yourself in three words.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Novell

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Provo, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

The process took a day - interviewed at Novell in March 2007.

This was for an internship position that I took. The interview was fairly simple. I don't think there were any behavioral type questions. It was all mostly skill based with a few questions about previous employment and describing what I did in those positions. I interviewed first with one manager that asked me background type questions and then I was interviewed by another manager who asked me a slew of technical questions. Most were pretty simple, just testing if I knew my way around Linux and then a simple programming question and sort of a math question. Overall it was really pretty simple compared to other interviews that I have had since then for real jobs and not internships.

Interview Questions
    • Convert a hex number to binary and visa versa   View Answer
    The negotiations are handled by the human resources department. The person that I talked to was very nice. Even though it was just an internship he treated me like I was going to be a regular employee, asking me how much time I needed to consider the offer and giving me control over my decision. It was nice

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Novell in August 2014.

Novell process consists of 3 rounds. 1st round was online test, questions were basically on quant, data structure, system software basics, compiler design. 2nd round was technical interview consists of coding round and 3rd round was HR .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Novell in April 2014.

Hi I attended Novell Interview on april, 2014. I had 6 rounds in total.

All the rounds were simple. They ask only the very basic questions
    1. Aptitude, verbal, technical (system concepts and coding snippets), Essay on open source was not required. [details about the questions are mentioned below]
    2. Programming interview.
    3. System concepts and testing concepts [how will u test a pen, tell us some test cases in ur project]
    4. Interview with Manager [other than technical questions]
    Since everybody was busy, my interview was moved to next day.
    5. Interview with Senior Manager [other than technical questions] - she was very kind.
    6. Interview with HR [She discussed about the company, benifts etc.]

Once you clear the first 2 rounds, you are almost selected.

Salary range 6 - 7 L for freshers. Value varies in between for candidates from PSG, NIT and others.

out of station candidates, if selected will get accomodation in a business class hotel for 15 days. They welcome you with big flower boquets etc.

This is for a full time employee through employee referal without any consultancies, contract, contigencies etc.

Novell is a very peaceful place to settle. Compared to many companies in bangalore, it has a very good work life balance. Sat and sun off. Good benefits. No work pressure. No timings. My managers are really kind.

Below are the questions i noted down after each rounds. All the best. :)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Allahabad (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allahabad (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Novell in August 2013.

Written test , 50 MCQ 1 coding question . Total Duration 90 min. 13 people were shortlisted out of 150 . 15 question for aptitude, 20 programming skills and 15 system concepts questions . Two rounds of interview . One is technical and second is HR . For technical interview there were 2 people in the panel . Difficulty was average . HR was 1:1 .

Interview Questions
    • Write c program for tail command which can support -F option .   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Novell.

Written test of 70 mins.
    15 ques aptitude, 20 ques on OS and Networking, 15 Ques on C. All these questions were objective.
    There was one C program which was tough

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Novell in July 2013.

First Round - Aptitude,c basics,operating system,50 questions.Questions based on work,boat,interest.51 questions in all were given.50 MCQ's and 1 coding question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Novell in August 2012.

First round: Written round compromising of 3 sections; logic, operating system+networks and programming language concepts
    Interview: 2 rounds of interview, First by the technical engineer and next by the director of software development

Interview Questions
    • The syntax of a header file, suppose <stdio.h> and few different questions related to compilation of a program and its steps   Answer Question
    Was not negotiable. Got a fixed salary of 6.2 lpa which included a joining salary of 50k INR

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Novell in September 2012.

- starting from C, like dynamic allocation and some more easy conceptual questions,
    - then in C++ concepts like abstraction, polymorphism, inheritance, Virtual functions, VPTRs etc were asked,
    - then some discussions on binary trees and other data structures, complexities in them etc.
    - then some questions from OS like involving Locks, semaphores, mutex, scheduling, paging, LRU, virtal memory etc.
    - and finally some questions on networking like different transport layer protocols, difference in them and questions revolving around them basically.

Interview Questions
    • two linked lists are givem (unsorted and having some elements repeated unknown number of times) make a sorted list containing elements from both lists but each element should appear only once ( i.e discard the repeated elements )   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Novell.

1. Phone Interivew
    2. Tech round (1-2 rounds_
    3. Senior Manager
    4. HR round

Interview Questions

Worked for Novell? Contribute to the Community!